News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Jedis.

Started by Glitch, March 20, 2014, 09:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch

So I had a question for you guys.

I've been an Atheist for a while now, and recently my boyfriend admitted that he's not an Atheist, but believes in the religion of the Jedis... even though he's a Sith Lord and all that.

Yes, Star Wars.

Anyways, I was just curious at to what you guys thought of this?

I actually can appreciate this... I guess religious view, because there's no "god" there's just The Force.

stromboli

The Force, i.e. some mystical spiritual energy isn't that far off from Deism or other beliefs, like Ki in martial arts. An energy that binds the universe together is not really that weird. If you think about it, it lends itself to a lot of spiritual beliefs.

wolf39us

Quote from: Glitch on March 20, 2014, 09:36:10 PM

I've been an Atheist for a while now, and recently my boyfriend admitted that he's not an Atheist, but believes in the religion of the Jedis... even though he's a Sith Lord and all that.

Yes, Star Wars.

I actually can appreciate this... I guess religious view, because there's no "god" there's just The Force.

Never question the force

aitm

If he is serious....yeah, I think it's time you spread your wings and flew about a little eh?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Glitch

Quote from: wolf39us on March 20, 2014, 10:03:17 PM
Never question the force

I just noticed you profile picture and died from laughing too hard.

And I shall never question it :I

Plu

I have no idea what the tenets of Jedi'ism are. But if it doesn't feature any gods, then your boyfriend is still an atheist you know. He's just both Jedi'ist and atheist, those are then apparently perfectly compatible.

Kinda like how I sometimes tell people I'm Pastafarian, but since I don't actually believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster I'm also still an atheist. (Belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster is not one of the requirements of being a Pastafarian, fortunately)

That said; it depends on how serious he is whether or not this would be a good thing. Jedi'ism might very well be a good philosophy to follow (based on whatever rules it has) but if he believes the Force as portrayed in Star Wars is real you should maybe explain to him that not everything you see on television is real. Especially reality tv has a track record of being bogus, but many movies are also not entirely true stories.

Jason78

I knew loads of people that put Jedi down for religion on the last census. 
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

stromboli

Are we talking Light Sabre, robes and everything or just mindset? Going the Full Monty might get a little weird....

Jason78

The Full Monty was a completely different movie...
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Moralnihilist

Quote from: Glitch on March 20, 2014, 09:36:10 PM

Yes, Star Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Ee02WLxGk

I can't be the only nerd who went here mentally.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

stromboli

Quote from: Jason78 on March 21, 2014, 11:57:46 AM
The Full Monty was a completely different movie...

The full monty is a British slang phrase of uncertain origin. It is generally used to mean "everything which is necessary, appropriate, or possible; ‘the works’",[1] and has been in common usage in the north of England for many years; the 1982 Yellow Pages for Manchester listed both a "Full Monty Chippy" and a "Fullmonty Chippy".[2] A US equivalent might be the phrase "the whole nine yards", "the whole ball of wax", "the whole enchilada", or "the whole shebang".

This is where they got the movie title from. For the unlearned. :axe:

Glitch

Quote from: stromboli on March 21, 2014, 10:19:34 AM
Are we talking Light Sabre, robes and everything or just mindset? Going the Full Monty might get a little weird....

Like so?

Glitch

And as far as like.. Star Wars force status (you know, lifting people with your hand from 10 feet away and throwing them through the window of your space ship while going hyper-speed) he doesn't think you can do that at all. But he does think the force does exist as a thing to keep all things in harmony kind of deal. Like so birds can somehow find where they live, and we can find where we live, or that whole "6th sense" deal. Like when you "feel" somebody staring at you from the back of the train.

Shadow Fox

I am not quite sure what to think about this one.

Its basically a religion for people who think psychic powers, magic exists. Its just silly.

At the very least. Its more peaceful than some other religions. Wars Created by Christians: Nearly all of them | Wars created by Jedi religion = 0

lol.

stromboli