Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

why are you an atheist?

Started by randomvim, September 11, 2016, 03:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 27, 2017, 04:35:56 PM
Maybe this will help:

The Baloney Detection Kit: Carl Sagan’s Rules for Bullshit-Busting and Critical Thinking

Years back, that was the first formalized list of logical fallacies I had seen.  Others are more complete, but I'll never forget the Baloney Detection Kit, because the name is so comical and un-Sagan sounding, at least on the surface, but at times, I think I've picked up on that side of Carl Sagan's sense of humor.  It's memorable because we have one of the world's foremost cosmologists using the word baloney for that which cannot withstand serious scrutiny.  You would think he would get all puffed up and intellectual, but no.  Baloney was simply good enough for his compilation of things that describe compromised thinking.

Vulgar cur that I am, I use the word "bullshit," but I don't pretend to have Sagan's class.

Unbeliever

I think it's been found recently that people who cuss are more intelligent and have better vocabularies than those who don't. Gotta go for now, I'll find a link when I get back.

[edit]
OK, I'm back, and here's a linky:

Why it’s a good sign if you curse a lot

[/edit]
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 27, 2017, 05:05:11 PM

Why it’s a good sign if you curse a lot

[/edit]

The 8 commenters on the article sound mildly disgusted by the research.  But they don't know nothin', cause none of them cursed a fuckin' bit.  Dumb shits.

randomvim

Quote from: SGOS on January 27, 2017, 04:20:06 PM
Hearsay, old wives tales, and anything without compelling evidence.
would it be proper to summarize to lies or misinformation?

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Baruch

Quote from: randomvim on January 27, 2017, 07:53:26 PM
would it be proper to summarize to lies or misinformation?

Compelling information happens with a pacifist Hillary supporter or pacifist Trump supporter has a gun to your noggin.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

randomvim

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2017, 08:00:55 PM
Compelling information happens with a pacifist Hillary supporter or pacifist Trump supporter has a gun to your noggin.
I dont know what this has to do with my question.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 28, 2017, 05:31:23 PM
Welcome to the club...

Compelling evidence ... an appeal to the emotions and an un-logical mind.  No one here is a logician, or even a very good empiricist.  Just advocates for this or that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

OldFaithful

Better ask, why define yourself as an atheist? I for one feel we should all take the wheel and learn something from it!

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: OldFaithful on January 29, 2017, 05:05:20 PM
Better ask, why define yourself as an atheist? I for one feel we should all take the wheel and learn something from it!
I really don't. If I identify as anything, it's as a skeptic.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

MooHamHead

I define myself as a man of reason. I oppose all fairy tales from jesus to anthropogenic global warming. Without reason and logic we are doomed to be destroyed by savages such as Islam.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Unbeliever

Oh, great, a Republican...

We'll see how you feel after Chump's finished destroying America and a huge chunk of the rest of the world.
God Not Found

SoldierofFortune

Hello again after a long time fellow atheists...

First of all, atheistm is the default feature of natural human thinking... A religious person learns their religion from their family or from who grows them up... If nobody teachs them, they would be atheist naturally... We had already been atheists before we learnt it... But when it comes to the creation of the God in the world of human thinking, it should be mentioned about making the world meaningful...

That's it for now...

Cavebear

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on March 05, 2017, 07:07:06 AM

First of all, atheistm is the default feature of natural human thinking... A religious person learns their religion from their family or from who grows them up... If nobody teachs them, they would be atheist naturally... We had already been atheists before we learnt it... But when it comes to the creation of the God in the world of human thinking, it should be mentioned about making the world meaningful...

That's it for now...

Yeah, pretty standard reasoning among atheists...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

randomvim

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on March 05, 2017, 07:07:06 AM

That's it for now...
according to some on this thread, athiesm refers to both ideas of no god exist to not knowing if god exist. Is that how you use it?

what about natural human curiosity about the universe and spirit?