Quantum Vacuum Fluctuations - The Basics

Started by josephpalazzo, July 14, 2014, 05:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

In my new blog, I kept the spirit of keeping most of the math derivations in the appendices. Here’s the preliminary:

QuoteQuantum vacuum fluctuations are facts in the real world - they were a fundamental prediction of Quantum Mechanics revealed in several processes. The spectrum of quantum fluctuations is a neat mathematical formulation that embodies this concept. It serves as a pivotal point between the very large (cosmological scale) and the very small (subatomic scale). No cosmological model that aspires to describe the real world can have the luxury of ignoring this fundamental reality.

Quantum Vacuum Fluctuations - The Basics

Any comments will be appreciated.

Solitary

Thanks JP, but again you caused my brain to hurt.  :razz: :doh: :naughty: :ugeek: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

josephpalazzo

If it's not going to be me then who? Your wife?? Better me than somebody else... :razz:

Nam

I understood none of that. Is there an idiot's version?

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Solitary

Quote from: josephpalazzo on July 14, 2014, 04:58:18 PM
If it's not going to be me then who? Your wife?? Better me than somebody else... :razz:
Not my wife, ha ha, but it could be my older son and his Chinese girlfriend that own their own electronics firm in California. They both work with the application of quantum mechanics in their business. My son has a Patten used by the government when he was 22. I have no doubt he would understand the math better than I can, same with her. They are freaky when they do their thinking. They are two wild technocrats with math, electronics, computers, and programming. They recently gave my wife and I a vacation, first class, to California and Kauai Hawaii. I'm so proud of both of them. 

Jason78

I got as far as looking up equation 37 in http://soi.blogspot.ca/2014/04/the-essential-quantum-field-theory.html

Then I got confused as to why you substituted k for p.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Jason78 on July 15, 2014, 01:15:42 PM
I got as far as looking up equation 37 in http://soi.blogspot.ca/2014/04/the-essential-quantum-field-theory.html

Then I got confused as to why you substituted k for p.

It's just basic math - I can always replace A in an equation by B. Now, it is the general practice to use p for the momentum of a particle. But waves can also have momentum, and the general practice is to use k. It's a general practice, not a law written into stones. :biggrin:

Solitary

Hmmm! It sounds like pick and choose like the Bible Thumpers do.  :biggrin2:

Jason78

Quote from: josephpalazzo on July 16, 2014, 07:38:52 AM
It's just basic math - I can always replace A in an equation by B. Now, it is the general practice to use p for the momentum of a particle. But waves can also have momentum, and the general practice is to use k. It's a general practice, not a law written into stones. :biggrin:

Sorry, it's difficult to remember what the letter's mean sometimes, let alone what they do.   I usually have to go looking up loads of other stuff to figure out what's going on.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Solitary

You are not alone! If you don't stay with it as you get older it becomes like trying to understand the Greek language. :eek: :biggrin:  :pidu: And this doesn't help. Solitary