News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Jesus' Origin Story

Started by Blackleaf, December 21, 2016, 06:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 05, 2017, 01:29:15 PM
What part of meaningless random groundhog shadow did you miss?

It is like any other oracular technique ... one could use rabbit droppings just as well.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 05, 2017, 02:20:57 PM
It is like any other oracular technique ... one could use rabbit droppings just as well.

Does it not occur to anyone that a tree shadow or lack would work just as well?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 11, 2017, 01:29:45 AM
Does it not occur to anyone that a tree shadow or lack would work just as well?

That is called a sundial.  It is even older than you ;-)  PS - I post for my therapy, thanks for being in my group therapy session ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 11, 2017, 08:40:17 AM
That is called a sundial.  It is even older than you ;-)  PS - I post for my therapy, thanks for being in my group therapy session ;-)

Yes, a sundial would work as well.  And I have one.  But why complicate things?  Your or my shadow is is easier then a sundial or a groundhog.

And if I am part of your therapy group, you are welcome.  You won't be the first who has sought my unintentional help that way.  Atheists are very rational and self-aware.  It shows.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 11, 2017, 08:48:40 AM
Yes, a sundial would work as well.  And I have one.  But why complicate things?  Your or my shadow is is easier then a sundial or a groundhog.

And if I am part of your therapy group, you are welcome.  You won't be the first who has sought my unintentional help that way.  Atheists are very rational and self-aware.  It shows.

And conceited ... but to be human, is to thump ones chest ... unless you are a woman ;-)

A groundhog sundial moves around too much ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 11, 2017, 08:51:47 AM
And conceited ... but to be human, is to thump ones chest ... unless you are a woman ;-)

A groundhog sundial moves around too much ;-)

Conceit?  Hardly.  Without theists bombarding the airwaves or knocking on my door, the concept would never occur to me.  I am retired and live alone.  Whole days go by without me thinking of theisms.  Unless they beat on my door or declare their thoughts on TV.  Or when I come here desiring to commune with my own (stable and sensible) kind. 

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on February 11, 2017, 08:40:17 AM
PS - I post for my therapy, thanks for being in my group therapy session ;-)

Doesn't seem to be doing you much good. Maybe you could try LSD micro-dosing, I hear it can work wonders...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 11, 2017, 04:51:42 PM
Doesn't seem to be doing you much good. Maybe you could try LSD micro-dosing, I hear it can work wonders...

There is a very old connection between religion and drugs.  Bell Beaker culture in early Europe for example ... beer/mead and other recreational substances.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 11, 2017, 06:15:45 PM
There is a very old connection between religion and drugs.  Bell Beaker culture in early Europe for example ... beer/mead and other recreational substances.

The enjoyment of mind-altering natural substances "can" but not "must" create ideas of deities.  I managed to enjoy a few mild joints in college without losing my atheism.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2017, 04:42:42 AM
The enjoyment of mind-altering natural substances "can" but not "must" create ideas of deities.  I managed to enjoy a few mild joints in college without losing my atheism.

Ram Dass would disagree.  But I don't think anyone is claiming that these substances cause religion, they simply accompany religion, sometimes reinforcing it.  Dream interpretation does too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 13, 2017, 07:01:59 AM
Ram Dass would disagree.  But I don't think anyone is claiming that these substances cause religion, they simply accompany religion, sometimes reinforcing it.  Dream interpretation does too.

What makes you think that mind-altering drugs or alcohol did not originate the idea of a deity?  It had to start somewhere, and it sure wasn't in reality.  I mean, the first person to conceive the idea of a deity HAD to be high on SOMETHING since it isn't real.

I can just imagine the first person to sample fermented sugar cane or the like waking up and needed some excuse for his actions at the party the night before.  ;)

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2017, 07:24:16 AM
What makes you think that mind-altering drugs or alcohol did not originate the idea of a deity?  It had to start somewhere, and it sure wasn't in reality.  I mean, the first person to conceive the idea of a deity HAD to be high on SOMETHING since it isn't real.

I can just imagine the first person to sample fermented sugar cane or the like waking up and needed some excuse for his actions at the party the night before.  ;)
Key word here being "imagine"

Cavebear

Quote from: popsthebuilder on February 13, 2017, 07:46:12 AM
Key word here being "imagine"

Well, what is theism except imaging?  I try to do less.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2017, 07:51:03 AM
Well, what is theism except imaging?  I try to do less.
It is you imagining that all theism is the simple product of imagination that is the issue. How would one go about using their imagination to determine truth?

They cannot.

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on February 13, 2017, 07:53:59 AM
It is you imagining that all theism is the simple product of imagination that is the issue. How would one go about using their imagination to determine truth?

They cannot.
But since you believe in a fiction, what else do you have to go on????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?