Rise of the Cultural Libertarians

Started by mauricio, October 09, 2015, 06:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

In the US today, the term "libertarian" ties you too closely with Ross Perot and Ron Paul ... who have aspects too RW even for the RINOs.  The Tea Party Jihadis are the leaderless flotsam and jetsam from their prior campaigns, who can't stomach RINOs.  It isn't connected to George Washington or Thomas Jefferson in current usage.  This is probably unfair to the Libertarian Party ... but co-opting the call, plumage or nests of other birds ... is known in nature.  There really are very few people (outside the Libertarian Party) who would support liberalism like Washington or Jefferson (but with obvious necessary improvements like no slavery).  Numerically we mostly see the struggle between competing leviathan autocracies.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

Ross Perot?  Seriously?

There was a time when the Tea Party was justifiably associated with libertarianism - the time period from November 7, 2007 and January 19, 2009.  After that it was taken over by conservatives and the libertarians were kicked out.  Anyone who thinks that the Tea Party after say about July 2009 has anything to do with libertarianism is so full of coolaid they don't notice what flavor the tea is.

The "Cultural Libertarians" mentioned in the article, they are simply libertarians but called that by an author who can't stand to say anything nice about libertarians.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Baruch

What did I say about borrowed plumage?  I met the VP candidate of the Libertarian Party at college back in 1976 ... there were maybe four students who wanted to hear what he wanted to say.  Of course lack of popularity, isn't a sign of irrelevance .. small seeds grow into big trees.

Actual politics is a laborious pain in the ass ... I worked for Dukakis in 1988 ... so I have a taste.  So much easier to control the Media and brainwash the voters.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Social justice warriors can suck a bag of dicks! it's no fun when they are around!

Hydra009

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on October 12, 2015, 02:05:34 PM
Social justice warriors can suck a bag of dicks! it's no fun when they are around!
I have been triggered by your microaggressions.  Please don't disparage the lived in experiences of the differently selved in the future or you will twittershamed and potentially face a U.N. fine.

mauricio

Quote from: Jason_Harvestdancer on October 12, 2015, 11:09:33 AM
So...  those who don't like the Religious Reich or the Social Justice Warriors have discovered libertarians also opposing them.

But they can't bring themselves to simply write "libertarians" because it is supposed to be a bad word.  After all, according to conventional wisdom, we have no stands other than economics and marijuana.  So they come up with a new term "cultural libertarians" to describe where libertarians have been the whole fucking time.

The author of that article is a libertarian, but libertarian implies you believes in individual freedom on more than just culture, libertarians from what i have seen want the government reduced and that all be done on voluntarism without forcing anyone to do anything against their will but voluntarily agree. This does not describe the movement hes talking about, many libertarians are part of it but so are other ideologies. They ultimately mainly agree on having an open marketplace of ideas, thats the center of it.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 12, 2015, 03:35:47 PM
I have been triggered by your microaggressions.  Please don't disparage the lived in experiences of the differently selved in the future or you will twittershamed and potentially face a U.N. fine.

wah wah wah

josephpalazzo

Quote from: mauricio on October 10, 2015, 04:42:15 PM
libertarian is a old term that imo just means you value personal freedom over other political values like order, safety, the common good, etc. You would not truncate personal freedoms to accomplish an end that you think would justify those means. The cultural focus is because this is supposed to be a call to defend the concept of a free market place of ideas, a free culture. An idea that can join lots of different political points of view, even though they disagree on pretty much everything, except on the fact that everyone should be able to participate in that discussion, without being labeled with a buzzword and shut down. Obviously you do not have to use the term but it is there to differentiate people because of the political fractures that have recently occurred on the left and the right due the complete dissatisfaction with the superfluous buzzword laden political discourse of the mainstream media, social media and the mainstream political candidates.

Well to me, libertarian means anarchy. So there. Anything pushed to the limit, including freedom of speech, is as crazy as batshit is.

mauricio

Quote from: josephpalazzo on October 12, 2015, 07:27:39 PM
Well to me, libertarian means anarchy. So there. Anything pushed to the limit, including freedom of speech, is as crazy as batshit is.

Well as long as you understand that is not what the author meant with the word, the word is not important the meaning is what matters.

mauricio

Quote from: mauricio on October 12, 2015, 07:54:52 PM
Well as long as you understand that is not what the author meant with the word, the word is not important the meaning is what matters.

To expand on this he certainly does not support a "freedom of speech anarchy" because he recognizes the value of journalistic ethics as described in the SPJ code of ethics: