News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Origin of morality

Started by thomask, August 21, 2013, 08:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plu

The fact that you're still using the "torturing" example even though I've already shown you how it's tautological and thus irrelevant shows that apparently you aren't as interested in learning anything as I originally thought.

Why don't you give a few examples of objective morality that don't include loaded language and we'll discuss those?

Lucid

the only objective morality there is are the Laws of Physics. everything else is a subjective morality.

Solitary

Quote from: "Lucid"the only objective morality there is are the Laws of Physics. everything else is a subjective morality.

I don't think I have ever seen so many fallacies in logic in one statement starting with a false analogy to prejudicial language. :roll:  =D>   #-o  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

ApostateLois

I would like to see any evidence at all that morals exist outside of the human mind, that they weren't simply developed over long periods of time in the course of human evolution. How would one even show that this is the case? How is one to provide evidence that, once upon a time, God handed morals to humans on a stone tablet? I don't know, but it is not my problem. Christians assert it, it is up to them to prove it.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

GurrenLagann

I'd like to remind some of you that the existence of objective morailty (moral realism) doesn't entail that humans abide by the standard. It's very existence would mean that the standard could be transgressed, since morality is about what you ougt do, after all.

I'm not saying it is true (don't know enough moral philosophy), but I'm just saying. ;)
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

PopeyesPappy

Will somebody please just go ahead push the fat guy in front of trolley so this thread can move on to the important stuff like nude pictures.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Poison Tree

You want to do what to a fat nude guy in the front of a trolly?
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Colanth

Quote from: "ApostateLois"I would like to see any evidence at all that morals exist outside of the human mind, that they weren't simply developed over long periods of time in the course of human evolution.
Would you accept "sentient creature" instead of "human"?  If you've ever owned a dog, you know that they can exhibit what must be a sense that they've done something "wrong" at times.  They seem to have some little understanding of right and wrong.  Bonobos seem to also.  And elephants definitely do.

Why would God give "mere animals" knowledge of right and wrong?  Was there an elephantine "Eve"?
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

ApostateLois

Good point. Most social animals abide by certain rules of behavior to ensure that the entire group will get along with each other with a minimum of fighting and competition. Otherwise, they'd kill each other, or be so anti-social that they couldn't live in a group at all to begin with. Human morals are simply those sorts of rules, only we developed ways of passing them on through oral and written traditions. We also learned how to tell stories so that children could easily understand how the rules work; and evolved fancy hierarchies of authority to enforce the rules, often through fear and threats of punishment. But certainly no god was involved in all of this. There is no evidence that we magically received our instructions from a supreme sky-being, and everyone decided to follow those rules forever after. If Christians have evidence that this did, in fact, happen, I'd like to see it. I expect to be waiting a long, long time.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"