News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Question

Started by Spinachspigot, May 01, 2024, 03:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spinachspigot

Hey everyone, I'm having a discussion with someone about the Bible and specifically Revelation 22:18, where it says if anyone adds to the book the plagues in the book will be added to them. One of the plagues is that all the sea life dies, which can easily be proven that this hasn't happened since the first century (when the book of Revelation was written).
I have searched the web but can't find a documented case where someone has declared that they are deliberately and intentionally adding to the book of Revelation in order to invoke God to unleash the plagues on them. Has anyone done this in the past? Is there a website that shows where someone has done this?
I was thinking that maybe there was an atheist club or organization that might require such a thing for membership, as a way of proving a person doesn't believe there is a God.

Mr.Obvious

Why would we require someone to do something blasphemous to 'join our ranks'?

Seems kind or religious-y to me, to ask for a show of devotion.

Let alone that many atheists never believed, or dropped out of other religions than that specific shard of christianity.

So sorry bud, can't help you.

But welcome to our little band of heathens.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Unbeliever

The Bible has been altered, due to the many translations, so I suppose that the book of Revelation has also been altered/added to. But no major consequences have been seen, as far as I know.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Spinachspigot

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 01, 2024, 03:38:48 PMWhy would we require someone to do something blasphemous to 'join our ranks'?

Seems kind or religious-y to me, to ask for a show of devotion.

Let alone that many atheists never believed, or dropped out of other religions than that specific shard of christianity.

So sorry bud, can't help you.

But welcome to our little band of heathens.
Thanks for the response, I looked in the internet for anyone who has ever added to the book of Revelation and found nothing, to my surprise. I tried bing AI and it kept saying how the Bible and the book of Revelation has not been changed but nothing about any attempts to change it.
I know it's a long shot but I thought maybe someone on this forum might have some information or know of a situation where this was attempted.

Spinachspigot

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 01, 2024, 03:47:45 PMThe Bible has been altered, due to the many translations, so I suppose that the book of Revelation has also been altered/added to. But no major consequences have been seen, as far as I know.
Quote from: Unbeliever on May 01, 2024, 03:47:45 PMThe Bible has been altered, due to the many translations, so I suppose that the book of Revelation has also been altered/added to. But no major consequences have been seen, as far as I know.
Yea, I can see that but the person I'm having a conversation with is saying that the original manuscripts do have different interpretations but no one has ever deliberately added to the book, like adding an additional verse or chapter.

Gawdzilla Sama

Never been religious, ever. Sanity is more interesting. I'm sure you posted the OP in order to "stimulate a conversation", but fuck you, we don't speak your brand of batshitcrazyfucker.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

aitm

Does this "worry" you? Why would it? Do you think if Joe Blow added a verse to a nonsensical book that magically locusts and frogs will start falling from the sky? Don't you have breakfast to cook somewhere?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Unbeliever

Some people just can't be content with life without something to be afraid of.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

I think most, if not all, religious are afraid they'll get what's coming to them after they die.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers