News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Sunset Tornado

Started by gentle_dissident, May 25, 2016, 01:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gentle_dissident

Weather in my neck of the woods. Sorry it's on facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/koco5/videos/10153453078601782/
Please, no Auto-Tune.

SGOS

That is a really unique video capture.

drunkenshoe

WOW. It's so beautiful! I'm guessing dangerous too.

We don't have tornados at this side of the world. It's always fascinating and scary to me.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

That was a special shot ... getting the setting sun behind it.  The closest i have accidentally gotten to a funnel is 5 miles.  You simply get used to them.

Here is a recent one, with people way too close for comfort ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1R_N_pysRs
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 25, 2016, 05:28:24 AM
WOW. It's so beautiful! I'm guessing dangerous too.

We don't have tornados at this side of the world. It's always fascinating and scary to me.
Having seen videos of tornadoes in the Antarctic I have to ask where you are located?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

I've never seen anything bigger than a dust devil. I am sad.

Mike Cl

Okay--that is an awesome sight.  But what I want to know is what the hell did these people do to garner the wrath of god???????????????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Baruch on May 25, 2016, 07:16:30 AM
That was a special shot ... getting the setting sun behind it.  The closest i have accidentally gotten to a funnel is 5 miles.  You simply get used to them.

Here is a recent one, with people way too close for comfort ...

Amazing. I stood at a window and watched a tornado take off part of a roof.

I live at the edge of the low class part of town. There are very few shelters here. We'd have to go into our shanty's bathtub and hope. Oddly, bathrooms remain standing in rubble.

Baruch

Quote from: gentle_dissident on May 25, 2016, 12:43:28 PM
Amazing. I stood at a window and watched a tornado take off part of a roof.

I live at the edge of the low class part of town. There are very few shelters here. We'd have to go into our shanty's bathtub and hope. Oddly, bathrooms remain standing in rubble.

The one I posted, would be about mid-size, like the one in the sundown shot.

Exactly, inner room, or blanket or mattress over the top while lying low in the bathtub or closet.  The problem is debris, particularly flying glass.  The point is, if you can see a window, you aren't in a good spot.  The inner corner of a building is the strongest too.  I had an acquaintance who went thru the Great Moore tornado in 1999 ... there are a lot of twisters thru Moore, but this was the really big one, not the one in 2013 that took so many children's lives.  He was at home at the time.  He and his family were crouched down in an inner closet, with a small mattress above them.  The inner closet was the only thing left standing, with a 2x4 debris stuck thru the upper part of the closet.  His house and the others nearby were reduced to kindling.  That one tore asphalt paving out of the street, and beat the lawns down to bare dirt.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 25, 2016, 09:54:46 AM
Having seen videos of tornadoes in the Antarctic I have to ask where you are located?

Western shores of Anatolia (Asia Minor). Aegean. I am exactly at the point says Balıklıova on the middle right. To give you the neighbourhood, I can see the Greek island Chios from the shore. (The closest little island at right with no name on it looking at the peninsula is Greece.) We have never had anything remotely close anywhere in the country as far as I know.

[]

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

I would LOVE to see a tornado upclose, provided I am clad with dipers. :lol:

aitm

Spent 12 years in Lubbock Tx, where tornadoes are quite common. There is a building downtown Lubbock that was twisted about 16" if I recall, about 8 stories tall. Another building had a tree trunk thrown through the wall into a office lobby about the 5th floor and they left it there.

I was "chased" by a tornado in Michigan around 92, the kid was in the hospital about 20 miles away and I was trying to get there in my truck but somehow the coolant was low and I had to stop and pack some late spring snow into the radiator, the tornado would swing off the road about a half mile behind me and as I got going again it would swung back into the road and came down the roadway for about 5 miles before it turned off....cool and terrifying at the same time.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 26, 2016, 07:30:54 AM
We have never had anything remotely close anywhere in the country as far as I know.

Time to stock up on depends.

Also...

QuoteTornadoes have been blamed for at least 31 fatalities and 204 injuries in Turkey. The killer tornadoes in Ankara in 2004, Ağrı in 2005, Balıkesir in 2011, Elazığ and Antalya in 2012, and Mardin and Mersin in 2013 are notable recent examples. Other major tornadoes in Turkey include the 1997 Kayseri tornado, which uprooted thousands of large trees; the 1988 Çorum tornado, which lifted a car a significant distance and killed two; and the killer tornadoes in Istanbul and Konya in 1914 and 1959, respectively. Though events such as these deservedly attract considerable public attention in their aftermath, the events tend to be quickly forgotten. There remains an overall lack of awareness of tornadoes, for example, media reports of “the first tornado in Turkey” abound. The purpose of this article is to document the geographical, annual, and diurnal distributions of tornadoes in Turkey. It is believed that tornado forecasting in Turkey would benefit from a better understanding and increased appreciation of the local tornado climatology.

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/MWR-D-13-00364.1

As for me. I live in one of the red areas.

I've never seen one, but I've seen the aftermath up close and personal many times.

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on May 26, 2016, 08:04:27 AM
Time to stock up on depends.

I had no idea! I stand corrected. *Hangs head in air.