Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 04, 2019, 04:02:46 AM
That's actually good news. But I don't think the roles are comparable.
Yeah, they're really not the same sort of thing.  Still, comparisons are inevitable.

Hydra009

One last thing about Joker:

Don't expect a typical superhero movie.  This isn't even a superhero movie at all.

Everything is well written, but don't expect the movie to hold your hand or spell everything out for you.  Not everything is going to make cents at first glance.

And this movie asks some very provocative questions but does not answer them, leaving some people confused about the message of the movie.

This is something I'll get into that later in the spoiler section, but suffice it to say you're not going into a lighthearted comic romp.

Hopefully, you'll have a good time watching it!

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 04, 2019, 07:46:28 AM
Harley Quinn was just a way to get more boobies into the comics.

Oh yeah, because we female viewers are watching all those male superhero characters for their 'talents'. LOOL E. Also, forgot the 'great' story plot. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 04, 2019, 09:03:11 AM
One last thing about Joker:

Don't expect a typical superhero movie.  This isn't even a superhero movie at all.

Everything is well written, but don't expect the movie to hold your hand or spell everything out for you.  Not everything is going to make cents at first glance.

And this movie asks some very provocative questions but does not answer them, leaving some people confused about the message of the movie.

This is something I'll get into that later in the spoiler section, but suffice it to say you're not going into a lighthearted comic romp.

You keep building up my expectations, I hope I will enjoy it. If I can catch it in the theatre, still out of town.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 04, 2019, 09:06:07 AM
Oh yeah, because we female viewers are watching all those male superhero characters for their 'talents'. LOOL E. Also, forgot the 'great' story plot.

I actually love Harley enough as a character to have a keyring of her on my keys

I too share the eye candy reasoning of male hero's and villains, but the stories are good too.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 04, 2019, 08:35:04 AM
Mere detail.

I think Harley was created for the cartoon to give the Joker someone to interact with besides Batman. I find it funny how she has transcended her role as Joker's sidekick to become her own antihero/villain (depending on the story).
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 01, 2019, 09:01:10 PM
I actually really like Luke's character ><

He had a character arc - he's a different character in all three movies.  Young and naive in the first.  Vengeful and impatient in the second.  Older and wiser in the third.

He went on the classic hero's journey. ...
And that was deliberate, considering Lucas literally sat down with a copy of Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces and his very explicit reliance on it when constructing the story arc.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 04, 2019, 09:03:11 AMDon't expect a typical superhero movie.  This isn't even a superhero movie at all.

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 04, 2019, 09:07:59 AM
You keep building up my expectations, I hope I will enjoy it. If I can catch it in the theatre, still out of town.
Read, please

Every paragraph's first letter

And see something a lot of people

Definitely didn't notice before :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU6eyvS_3A8

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 04, 2019, 07:46:28 AM
Harley Quinn was just a way to get more boobies into the comics.

If that's true, why did they bother with solid story arches, character development and making her a fleshed-out character rather than just eye-candy?

There are characters that are legitimately there just to look pretty. Harley Quinn ain't close to one.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 04, 2019, 10:04:54 PM
Read, please

Every paragraph's first letter

And see something a lot of people

Definitely didn't notice before :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU6eyvS_3A8

Oh, lol.

Shiranu

Joker - 10/10

Definitely a slow burn of a movie, but once it ignites... lawrdy. And without that long stretch of slow, at times "boring" and uncomfortable build up, the payoff would not have felt so worth it nor been so easy to understand and relate to.

Much more a traditional movie than a modern movie.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on October 05, 2019, 03:17:44 PM
Joker - 10/10

Definitely a slow burn of a movie, but once it ignites... lawrdy. And without that long stretch of slow, at times "boring" and uncomfortable build up, the payoff would not have felt so worth it nor been so easy to understand and relate to.

Much more a traditional movie than a modern movie.

Also, I laughed at really inappropriate times.  There was a lot of super dark comedy in that one, and it tickled me in all the wrong ways.

I'm probably going to buy the movie and watch it over and over because there's this theory I want to try to test out and I need to go over this with a fine-tooth comb to see if I'm onto anything.

Baruch

Cinematography?  Or something more general.  Is the popularity of macabre and horror a symptom of and underlying psychopathy or sociopathy?  I have never quite got into this stuff.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

The Wind That Shakes the Barley - 9.7/10

Staring Cillian Murphy, it takes place during the Irish War of Independence and ends during the Irish Civil War. It's one of the few films that has addressed what was, and still remains, a very open wound for Ireland.

The good guys are not always good, and the bad guys are sometimes their brothers and friends... particularly once the film focuses on the Civil War. If I had one complaint it would be that the film does not focus enough on the pro-treaty Free Republic party enough despite having a main character on their side (and I say that as someone who fully believes the IRA were still on the right side of history at that point of the war).

Obviously, the British do not deserve to have their side of the story glorified or explained; they were in the wrong from the beginning. However the Free Republic soldiers were Irish citizens, many of whom who had been fighting on the side of the IRA up until the truce, and I don't feel the movie did a good enough job of making us sympathize with them.

Baruch

Complications with the Irish business.  Irish revolutionaries were siding with enemies of Britain during wartime.  A war that the US was on the same side as the British.  So Irish cynicism doesn't impress me.  However, Ireland was more of an armed neutral during WW II, which as less sociopathic.  Since then, Ireland has tried to be a peace maker nation.  Even better.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.