Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on December 22, 2016, 11:18:57 AMBut in my opinion, the most common target for criticism, Jar Jar Binks, really needed only a more endearing voice, to be a really entertaining character. He has a great look, for an amphibian life form, that also lends itself well to comedic relief, in an otherwise dry movie. I always took the view of Jar Jar, that the Force was using his "accidents," to significantly affect the outcome of events.
His voice was annoying, his "dialect" was just awful ("meesa, yousa" etc.) The fart and poop jokes, the excessive clumsiness, the extreme childishness (and in '83 I thought the Ewoks were too childish)... none of that belongs in a Star Wars movie. And he says "how rude" not once, not twice, but three times. Yes, we get it. You stole that line from C-3PO in Empire Strikes Back, Jar Jar, and you won't let it go.

Something happened to George Lucas over the years. He created a masterpiece (Episode IV), and it was epic and gritty too, with burning corpses, severed bloody arm and Han shooting first. Empire has a Wampa attack, torture scenes, and a severed hand. Bad-ass. Both movies devoid of hokiness. Lucas also gave us Raiders of the Lost Ark, a masterpiece. Then came Episode VI, and we got Ewoks, hokiness, an emasculated Han Solo, and tired dialogue. No more blood, no more bad-assery. Vader's hand gets lopped off, but it's mechanical. Then Lucas goes nuts and produces Temple of Doom and Howard the Duck, and the original grittiness and anti-hokiness disappears. Eventually he gives us the Prequels, filled with Jar Jars, and though there are a couple decapitations, you see no heads or blood. It's sanitized; it's child-oriented. It's stilted dialogue and too much reliance on CGI. So much could have been done of someone had the guts to say "No" to Lucas.

Something happened to Lucas between 1981 and 1983 to make him turn toward the Dark Side. (I bet it was adopting his first kid. Suddenly he wants everything kid-friendly.)

Rogue One brings back the grittiness and amplifies the violence to new heights. It's Star Wars for adults, once again!!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Blackleaf

Quote from: Atheon on December 22, 2016, 01:52:05 PM
Well there's your problem. The best parts of the movie take place in the final 40 minutes or so. It really does start out slow-paced, and that's one of my main gripes about it.

Part of the appeal of Star Wars is beloved characters from the original trilogy like Luke, Leia, Han Solo, Darth Vader, and Yoda. The unique "look and feel" of the Star Wars universe is another feature; it really was pioneering for the time. (I first saw the original one in the theater back in 77, and even at that tender young age I knew I was watching something revolutionary.) The series really needs to be experienced in this order: Ep. IV, V and VI. Then watch Rogue One and Episode VII in either order.

Whether you want to watch the prequels is up to you; despite their poor execution there is some important backstory in there.

Someone at my work place who had never seen Star Wars before asked me which order she should see them in. That got me thinking. What is the best way for someone to experience Star Wars for the first time? Before the prequels, it was easy. People watched the original three, then saw the prequels when they came out. But now we have two interconnected stories, both of which kinda spoil things that happen in the other. Here's the order I came up with:

IV: This one introduces the world of Star Wars the best, and Obiwan explains his relationship with Anakin, Luke's father.

I: After seeing IV, people should understand what's happening in Episode I. Having just heard Obiwan speak of Anakin, they will then be shown who Anakin was and how he became a Jedi. And because Episode I had a pretty self-contained story (having been written with the uncertainty of whether or not there would be a sequel), the viewer shouldn't be distracted with thoughts of what happened with Luke and the others.

II: For someone who somehow avoided the "I am your father" reveal, or else forgot about it, I would put off showing them Episode V for now. Episode II further explores the character of Anakin, showing his accomplishments within the Jedi Order under the watching eye of Obiwan.

V: Going back to the original trilogy, Luke confronts his father's "killer," and learns the truth that Darth Vader is his father. This is the best timing for this reveal, I think. After the viewer goes back to the prequels, they will know that Anakin will become Darth Vader and will wonder how it will happen. Alternatively, one could watch III first and learn Darth Vader's true identity that way, but then the reveal of V would be spoiled. I also wouldn't want the viewers to forget about Luke and the others. At this point, the viewer would be at the midway point for both trilogies.

III: This episode shows the birth of Darth Vader and the empire. It ends on a dark tone and shows how things got to be how they were in the original trilogy.

VI: This is the best episode to end the viewing of both original trilogies. Not only does it end Luke's story, but it also serves as an ending to Anakin's story as well. And of course, it's the latest in the storyline and has a happy ending. My sister didn't know about Darth Vader's redemption when I watched the movies with her last year, and she found this episode to be a very satisfying ending because of it.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 22, 2016, 02:36:34 PM
Someone at my work place who had never seen Star Wars before asked me which order she should see them in. That got me thinking. What is the best way for someone to experience Star Wars for the first time? Before the prequels, it was easy. People watched the original three, then saw the prequels when they came out. But now we have two interconnected stories, both of which kinda spoil things that happen in the other. Here's the order I came up with:

IV: This one introduces the world of Star Wars the best, and Obiwan explains his relationship with Anakin, Luke's father.

I: After seeing IV, people should understand what's happening in Episode I. Having just heard Obiwan speak of Anakin, they will then be shown who Anakin was and how he became a Jedi. And because Episode I had a pretty self-contained story (having been written with the uncertainty of whether or not there would be a sequel), the viewer shouldn't be distracted with thoughts of what happened with Luke and the others.

II: For someone who somehow avoided the "I am your father" reveal, or else forgot about it, I would put off showing them Episode V for now. Episode II further explores the character of Anakin, showing his accomplishments within the Jedi Order under the watching eye of Obiwan.

V: Going back to the original trilogy, Luke confronts his father's "killer," and learns the truth that Darth Vader is his father. This is the best timing for this reveal, I think. After the viewer goes back to the prequels, they will know that Anakin will become Darth Vader and will wonder how it will happen. Alternatively, one could watch III first and learn Darth Vader's true identity that way, but then the reveal of V would be spoiled. I also wouldn't want the viewers to forget about Luke and the others. At this point, the viewer would be at the midway point for both trilogies.

III: This episode shows the birth of Darth Vader and the empire. It ends on a dark tone and shows how things got to be how they were in the original trilogy.

VI: This is the best episode to end the viewing of both original trilogies. Not only does it end Luke's story, but it also serves as an ending to Anakin's story as well. And of course, it's the latest in the storyline and has a happy ending. My sister didn't know about Darth Vader's redemption when I watched the movies with her last year, and she found this episode to be a very satisfying ending because of it.

I get what you're saying Blackleaf. And it makes sense. But here's my take on this. There is an actual proper order to watch the prequel and original series and all the rest in.
You start with episode IV, see. The original starting point. Then you make your way over to V and enjoy the best star wars move out there. Here's the tricky part though. After that, you go straight to episode VI. But hold up, after that, you take episode one to three and you bury them in your backyard. Afterward, you watch IV, V and VI again in that order before moving on  to VII and finaly rogue one.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on December 22, 2016, 10:46:09 AM
Heresy! Science fiction enthusiasts, are required to be Star Wars fans! It's right there in the  Nerd Bible! As your penance, you must recite, "May the Force be with you," 7 times.
This might seem like a weird thing to say for someone who just gushed about the movie, but I'm actually not super into Star Wars.  I've watched and liked the movies and tv shows, but that's about it.  I know a couple people who read the books, play the CCG and MMO, etc.  They could tell you the name of the alien who got his arm sliced off by Obi Wan in the Mos Eisley cantina.

There are other scifi franchises that are much more dear to my heart.  Star Wars is just so massively popular that it makes for good watercooler talk.  Otherwise, I'm talking about Farscape or Stargate Atlantis or Babylon 5 and there's probably only 2 or 3 people here who have any idea what I'm talking about.

Star Wars is better conversation fodder.

Atheon

In Episode IV, Anakin's name isn't mentioned. It's not mentioned until Episode VI (though the later retrofitted version of Ep. V mentions it).
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Atheon on December 22, 2016, 03:39:52 PM
In Episode IV, Anakin's name isn't mentioned. It's not mentioned until Episode VI (though the later retrofitted version of Ep. V mentions it).

Doesn't the emperor say "He's the son of anakin skywalker."
Or is that just the mandela effect
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on December 22, 2016, 07:47:18 AMWith all the hoopla about Rogue One, I wanted to like this movie, at least a little, just a wee bit.  And I should have.  It's science fiction after all.  Audiences are applauding it, and despite my disappointments with all previous Star Wars films (I admit I haven't seen them all), I was determined to try one more time to see if I could get a handle on what it is about this franchise that escapes me.  I could not find it.  Within 10 minutes, the boredom started to set in.  I started waiting for something interesting.  Apparently, it must be there, but it only got more boring.  I began squirming in my seat.  I closed my eyes and listened.  Eventually, I wanted to fall asleep, but I couldn't.  With 45 minutes of the film left, I walked out of the theater.
I'll be honest, Rogue One didn't really hold my interest very well initially, either.  But I toughed it out and it got way better at about the halfway mark.  Towards the end, I was on the edge of my seat.

QuoteI never tried to analyze my disinterest in Star Wars Movies, so I don't know if there is a common element in all of them.  I did think about this one.  It's like the director made a list of every Hollywood cliché and then strung them together in a matrix of some cliché premise, the way 1950s musicals strung together songs.  The result being carried from one cliché to another, but not in any methodical way.  It's just a bunch of things that happen.
They weren't cliches when the original trilogy aired, though.  That stuff was groundbreaking in the 70s and 80s.  It's only cliche now because Star Wars popularized stuff like laser swords, the quasi-mystical Force, weird-looking aliens, etc.  (Though of course that stuff was borrowed heavily from pulp fiction and Dune)

QuoteI felt nothing for the characters, which HAS BEEN my common experience with this franchise, and while I understand the Evil Empire is evil, I really only know that because Evil is part of it's name.  I don't know why the rebels are better equipped to run the Galaxy, and I have no reason to feel supportive of them.  I don't give a shit who runs the galaxy.
I feel like I could make a solid pro-Imperial anti-sith case.  :P

But yeah, the series generally isn't very good about explaining the stakes.  Essentially, it boils down to either tyrannical rule by the Sith or revolution by the Jedi.  Your classic good vs evil.  The sith are fueled by base emotions like anger, fear, and hate and seek to conquer or destroy everyone else.  The jedi are fueled by hope, discipline, and selflessness and seek to coexist with others - a mutualistic relationship with others contrasted with the sith's predatory relationship.

A jedi win means freedom and peace for the galaxy.  A sith victory means tyranny and perpetual conflict.

QuoteI can't just like everything others like.  I guess this is just one of those things, but I'm a little envious of those who do like Star Wars films.  I don't want to be left out of the club.  But I guess it's a fate that is beyond my control.  I must accept it.
You can't change what you can't change.  Good on you for giving it a shot at least.

Atheon

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 22, 2016, 03:40:55 PM
Doesn't the emperor say "He's the son of anakin skywalker."
Or is that just the mandela effect
Only in the re-tooled version of Ep. V. In the original, the Emperor calls Luke "the son of Skywalker". Originally, the Big Reveal of Anakin's name was in Return of the Jedi.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 22, 2016, 03:36:54 PM
This might seem like a weird thing to say for someone who just gushed about the movie, but I'm actually not super into Star Wars.  I've watched and liked the movies and tv shows, but that's about it.  I know a couple people who read the books, play the CCG and MMO, etc.  They could tell you the name of the alien who got his arm sliced off by Obi Wan in the Mos Eisley cantina.

There are other scifi franchises that are much more dear to my heart.  Star Wars is just so massively popular that it makes for good watercooler talk.  Otherwise, I'm talking about Farscape or Stargate Atlantis or Babylon 5 and there's probably only 2 or 3 people here who have any idea what I'm talking about.

Star Wars is better conversation fodder.

Farscape and Babylon 5 were awesome ... both Canadian?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: wolf39us on December 22, 2016, 12:49:14 PM
I didn't like The Revenant, but I generally enjoy Leo's films

I thought it was vapid trash.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aitm

I couldn't tell you three correct titles of a star wars if I had too. However, I love Star Trek and could not do that either. I don't get that involved. BUT, interesting enough, while driving this morning the radio host said something that in a cross ways brought to mind the scene where child spock was "triggered" to fight by another kid telling him his mother was a whore, which prompted me to wonder, as we have very little information of Vulcan life, if whores existed in the Vulcan society as otherwise the term would be quite odd for a child to use, and then of course does Vulcan have street bums and degenerates?  oh my.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on December 22, 2016, 07:17:45 PM
I couldn't tell you three correct titles of a star wars if I had too. However, I love Star Trek and could not do that either. I don't get that involved. BUT, interesting enough, while driving this morning the radio host said something that in a cross ways brought to mind the scene where child spock was "triggered" to fight by another kid telling him his mother was a whore, which prompted me to wonder, as we have very little information of Vulcan life, if whores existed in the Vulcan society as otherwise the term would be quite odd for a child to use, and then of course does Vulcan have street bums and degenerates?  oh my.

Logical street bums and degenerates ... very interesting!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Revenant was alright, not a movie I'd watch again. The problem was the pacing of it, many moments that just seemed to drag out. It had some intense moments, and i'm someone who enjoys seeing certain characters get whats coming to them, which is why I watched it till the end, but after and looking back, yes, it had a loooooooot of pacing issues and moments that just dragged out. However Leos performance in it was good, he was the best part of it.

I had my nephew round for christmas, and my brother did the wonderful thing of giving me the movie he's been watching again and again... TMNT..

I was forced to sit though this and watch this, and from everything everyone said, even trying to watch it from a kids pov, yeah, I think I've developed a blood clot in my head from the amount of internal screaming I couldn't express due to having a 4 year old here. I heard several times characters swearing, because thats a good thing in a turtles movie. The violence I'm fine with, but seen as how I have to watch what I say around my nephew its ironic having characters swear their mouth off in this movie just gets glossed over.
The CGI was so stand outish a lot of the time and it felt like the characters had no weight to them. The characters themselves, its funny how it felt like they took the cartoon from the 80s, and just ramped all of them up in the most stereotypical form. Donnies not just a dork, he's an uber dork, Mickies not just a dude, he's an obnoxious sexually repressed stalker. Raphs not just a loner, he's an overly aggressive asshole. Leos' probably the only close to recognizable one, but he's more forgetable compared to the character assassinations the others got. When the 1980s cartoon is more subtle then this shit, you know someone needs to tranquilize the director.
Humor consisted of fart jokes, bad puns, characters trying to talk in 80s lingual that just came off forced, the fight scenes felt floaty and over the top when it didn't need to be, the bad guys sucked, with the exception of bebop and rocksteady, but even then, it felt like trying to make characters from the 1980s pushed into a 2010+ movie just didn't look right.
And the crowning achievement of movie diarrhea being April.. or, no sorry I mean Megan Fox insert character name. Fuck her, she sucks, she can't act, moving on.

I hate this movie, I need to pour bleach in my ear now in the hopes of removing it from my memory. I'm just sad this is how my nephew will remember TMNT, not from a fun cartoon series or some later pretty good remake cartoons of it, but this vomit bag of the 'movie'.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Atheon on December 22, 2016, 03:39:52 PM

You sure? I could have sworn that Obiwan mentioned Anakin by name in IV.
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 22, 2016, 03:29:30 PM
I get what you're saying Blackleaf. And it makes sense. But here's my take on this. There is an actual proper order to watch the prequel and original series and all the rest in.
You start with episode IV, see. The original starting point. Then you make your way over to V and enjoy the best star wars move out there. Here's the tricky part though. After that, you go straight to episode VI. But hold up, after that, you take episode one to three and you bury them in your backyard. Afterward, you watch IV, V and VI again in that order before moving on  to VII and finaly rogue one.

New viewers are not nostalgic for the original trilogy and don't have reason to hate the prequels.
--Fulke Greville--