Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on December 20, 2016, 07:53:26 PMI'd say I liked Episode III better than Rogue One.
I'd rank Rogue One up there with Force Awakens, though I'm not sure which is better (my brain divides by zero when I try to compare the two).

My rankings:

#1  Empire Strikes Back
#2  A New Hope
#3  Rogue One/Force Awakens
#4  Rogue One/Force Awakens
#5  Return of the Jedi
#6  A swift kick in the balls
#7  Attack of the Clones
#8  Suicide Squad
#9  Revenge of the Sith
#10  Auschwitz photos
#11  Phantom Menace

Blackleaf

I'm one of those (apparently) few people who actually likes the prequels better than the original trilogy. I like all of the Star Wars movies, in spite of their flaws. But I like all six together as a unit. Both tell the stories of young Jedi, tempted with the Dark Side, with father and son taking different paths. One is about the death of the Republic, and the other is about the death of the Empire. I don't know what the new trilogy is about yet, since it is incomplete, but I hope it takes the strengths of both prior trilogies. So far, aside from the rehashed story beats from A New Hope, I have been very pleased with it. In some ways, such as the graphics and humor, I think that Episode VII is already superior to the other movies.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 20, 2016, 10:31:18 PMI'm one of those (apparently) few people who actually likes the prequels better than the original trilogy.
That's a surprisingly large dissenting opinion, particularly among the younger fans.  I don't get it.  In theory, the prequels should've been great.  Great setting, good main cast, great start of darkness story.  But god damn, the implementation was absolutely wretched.  I don't get how anyone doesn't immediately pick up on that.  From "are you an angel?" to dying in childbirth, it was one hell of a bad ride made all the worse by the myriad obvious ways it could have easily been improved.

The only scene I really enjoyed in the prequels (maybe I enjoyed it a little too much, because I was laughing pretty loudly in the theater) was Order 66.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 20, 2016, 10:52:47 PM
That's a surprisingly large dissenting opinion, particularly among the younger fans.  I don't get it.  In theory, the prequels should've been great.  Great setting, good main cast, great start of darkness story.  But god damn, the implementation was absolutely wretched.  I don't get how anyone doesn't immediately pick up on that.  From "are you an angel?" to dying in childbirth, it was one hell of a bad ride made all the worse by the myriad obvious ways it could have easily been improved.

The only scene I really enjoyed in the prequels (maybe I enjoyed it a little too much, because I was laughing pretty loudly in the theater) was Order 66.

Terrible scripts that lead to terrible acting (seriously, the best actors in the world couldn't salvage some of the campy lines). Great plots that got over written by shit no one cares about.

I think that's what makes it all the worse... the potential was there, but it was just fucked up. If they were just shitty movies with shitty plots and shitty actors that would be one thing.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

I'm of the opinion that it wasn't so much the acting that sunk them, just poor scripts and poor directing (lazy shot/reverse shot, walk and talk with a shitton of distracting CGI going on in the background, etc).  The actors could've given the best performances ever and it still would have been bad.  I mean, there's only so much you can do with "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere."

Mr.Obvious

Agreed with Hydra and Shiranu.

If you see the battle of Mustafar, the quiet moments in which Lord Vader stares down his mentor. That's amazing acting.
The reaction to Padmé's pregnancy? Totally believeable.
Crying after the slaughtering of the young ones? Well done.

It's not Hayden Christensen's acting that bothered me. It's that every line he said made me want to either fall asleep or punch the chosen one in his face.

Truth is, I think, if in a few decades they make a complete remake of the prequel trilogy with new actors but the same story; there's every chance I would go see them. Because the story and genius is there. It's just butchered by dialogue and poor decisions. All that's left now, is sprinkles of amazing good stuff in a packaging you don't want to suffer through. I might want to rewatch some of the fight-scenes or one of the few quips that worked. But I don't feel any need to sit through the entire films for that, i'll go to YouTube. The Original trilogy, however, I'll watch those entire films time and again gladly.

That being said. When they first came out, and I was a bit younger, I was most impressed with them.
I Always liked the Original trilogy better. But I liked them back then. A long time ago... In a galaxy far, far away...
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

With all the hoopla about Rogue One, I wanted to like this movie, at least a little, just a wee bit.  And I should have.  It's science fiction after all.  Audiences are applauding it, and despite my disappointments with all previous Star Wars films (I admit I haven't seen them all), I was determined to try one more time to see if I could get a handle on what it is about this franchise that escapes me.  I could not find it.  Within 10 minutes, the boredom started to set in.  I started waiting for something interesting.  Apparently, it must be there, but it only got more boring.  I began squirming in my seat.  I closed my eyes and listened.  Eventually, I wanted to fall asleep, but I couldn't.  With 45 minutes of the film left, I walked out of the theater.  After the previous Star Wars movie last year, I promised I would never go to another.  I think I recall making that same promise after the one before that.

I never tried to analyze my disinterest in Star Wars Movies, so I don't know if there is a common element in all of them.  I did think about this one.  It's like the director made a list of every Hollywood cliché and then strung them together in a matrix of some cliché premise, the way 1950s musicals strung together songs.  The result being carried from one cliché to another, but not in any methodical way.  It's just a bunch of things that happen. 

I felt nothing for the characters, which HAS BEEN my common experience with this franchise, and while I understand the Evil Empire is evil, I really only know that because Evil is part of it's name.  I don't know why the rebels are better equipped to run the Galaxy, and I have no reason to feel supportive of them.  I don't give a shit who runs the galaxy.

Oh well.  I can't just like everything others like.  I guess this is just one of those things, but I'm a little envious of those who do like Star Wars films.  I don't want to be left out of the club.  But I guess it's a fate that is beyond my control.  I must accept it.

I know that the mere handful of critics didn't like the movie, and hold sentiments that closely resemble mine.  Not all of the negative reviews are as harsh, but a handful are.  Some of the negative reviews just say it was a nice try that didn't reach it's goal.  None of them described wanting to sneak out of the theater.  That I have to own by myself.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: SGOS on December 22, 2016, 07:47:18 AM
With all the hoopla about Rogue One, I wanted to like this movie, at least a little, just a wee bit.  And I should have.  It's science fiction after all.
Heresy! Science fiction enthusiasts, are required to be Star Wars fans! It's right there in the  Nerd Bible! As your penance, you must recite, "May the Force be with you," 7 times.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 20, 2016, 10:52:47 PM
...I don't get it.  In theory, the prequels should've been great.  Great setting, good main cast, great start of darkness story.  But god damn, the implementation was absolutely wretched.  I don't get how anyone doesn't immediately pick up on that.  From "are you an angel?" to dying in childbirth, it was one hell of a bad ride made all the worse by the myriad obvious ways it could have easily been improved.
I'm not quite THAT disappointed in the prequels, but they could have been a lot better. Especially when it comes to some of the poor dialog.

As far as plot, I hated the part in Episode 2, where Anakin finds his mom, just seconds before she dies. So fucking cliche. And Padme's death wasn't much better, in Episode 3.

But in my opinion, the most common target for criticism, Jar Jar Binks, really needed only a more endearing voice, to be a really entertaining character. He has a great look, for an amphibian life form, that also lends itself well to comedic relief, in an otherwise dry movie. I always took the view of Jar Jar, that the Force was using his "accidents," to significantly affect the outcome of events.

Quote from: Hydra009The only scene I really enjoyed in the prequels (maybe I enjoyed it a little too much, because I was laughing pretty loudly in the theater) was Order 66.
I really liked the scene, where Padme is in the Senate chamber, and Palpatine has just announced the formation of the First Galactic Empire. She says, "So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause."
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Shiranu

SGOS has me triggered right now more than anything else in my life has ever had me triggered.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

Meh, my best friend doesn't Like the godfather films.
Some people are just weird Like that. Best to simply accept it.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Shiranu

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 22, 2016, 12:13:41 PM
Meh, my best friend doesn't Like the godfather films.
Some people are just weird Like that. Best to simply accept it.

Dont.... dont like The Godfather?

wolf39us

I didn't like The Revenant, but I generally enjoy Leo's films

SGOS

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on December 22, 2016, 10:46:09 AM
Heresy! Science fiction enthusiasts, are required to be Star Wars fans! It's right there in the  Nerd Bible! As your penance, you must recite, "May the Force be with you," 7 times.

I'll even write it if I have to:

May the force b...

I got bored.

Atheon

Quote from: SGOS on December 22, 2016, 07:47:18 AMWith 45 minutes of the film left, I walked out of the theater.
Well there's your problem. The best parts of the movie take place in the final 40 minutes or so. It really does start out slow-paced, and that's one of my main gripes about it.

Part of the appeal of Star Wars is beloved characters from the original trilogy like Luke, Leia, Han Solo, Darth Vader, and Yoda. The unique "look and feel" of the Star Wars universe is another feature; it really was pioneering for the time. (I first saw the original one in the theater back in 77, and even at that tender young age I knew I was watching something revolutionary.) The series really needs to be experienced in this order: Ep. IV, V and VI. Then watch Rogue One and Episode VII in either order.

Whether you want to watch the prequels is up to you; despite their poor execution there is some important backstory in there.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca