Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nonsensei

Someone has been essentially exerting their tremendous influence over me to get me to try watching a class of movies I never considered watching before: Animated Pixar stuff.

I love the ones I've seen. Some small part of me, the Nonsensei of the recent past, is in the back of my mind whipping me with disdain for liking them.

But that voice is only a whisper now.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

SGOS

Quote from: Nonsensei on December 11, 2016, 09:13:49 AM
Someone has been essentially exerting their tremendous influence over me to get me to try watching a class of movies I never considered watching before: Animated Pixar stuff.

They are pretty good, maybe even the best animation ever, but I still have a soft place in my heart for the Disney animation of the 50s.  The old style animation has a flattened look to it, without looking like 3D characters filmed in 2D.  I actually miss that look.  I suppose it's not as good, but to me, it's the way cartoon characters should look; Kind of like a comic book that comes to life.

aitm

I watched the latest Jason Bourne movie....it was okay until the car chase...jesus why do they think a 10 minute car chase make the movie better?Car chases suck the bonnet.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on December 11, 2016, 06:29:07 PM
why do they think a 10 minute car chase make the movie better?

Because noone can do it better than Americans.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 12, 2016, 05:20:24 AM
Because noone can do it better than Americans.

Especially now that Top Gear had to move out of Britain, due to PC.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

SPECTRAL. Military Sci-fi. 2016. It's great. Never heard of it. I've just found it. Random.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on December 12, 2016, 07:14:12 AM
Especially now that Top Gear had to move out of Britain, due to PC.

The PC of assaulting coworkers can get you fired? Right then....
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on December 12, 2016, 05:40:03 PM
The PC of assaulting coworkers can get you fired? Right then....

They also didn't like their un-PC language.  It isn't wrong to even kill coworkers ... provided they are the right ones (extension of prior stated general principle).  Go Gandhi on everyone ... but never understand him.  Churchill would have given him a good bullet thru his head.  Mind you, I don't support British colonization, only the American kind (see Ugly American) /sarc
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Atheon

Rogue One. 8/10. A solid addition to the Star Wars universe.

Could have done without Jar Jar's hip-hop/disco cabaret dance scene, but nothing's perfect.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

drunkenshoe

DON'T BREATHE. Much better than I expected. It's classified as horror, but I didn't get why. It's thriller I guess.

Moral of the story: Don't break into people's houses.

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: aitm on December 10, 2016, 07:53:33 PM
got me there, I was never that much into it that I would know there was another "original".

In 1997, 20 years after the original release, there was a "Special Edition" released.  Many fans did not like the changes in he Special Edition. They were mainly CGI additions when the movie was originally done without CGI since CGI didn't exist in 1977.  Special editions of all of the original trilogy was released in theaters.  If I recall, I could be wrong, but I think the pre special editions were never released on DVD.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Atheon

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on December 14, 2016, 01:14:39 PMIn 1997, 20 years after the original release, there was a "Special Edition" released.  Many fans did not like the changes in he Special Edition. They were mainly CGI additions when the movie was originally done without CGI since CGI didn't exist in 1977.
Actually, the original Star Wars does have CGI: the Death Star schematics. It was a pioneering technology back then.

PorkPie

Watched Finding Dory with the kiddies, I fell asleep half way through so I can only rate the first bit...4 out of 10.
Don't believe them.

Baruch

Quote from: PorkPie on December 14, 2016, 05:23:56 PM
Watched Finding Dory with the kiddies, I fell asleep half way through so I can only rate the first bit...4 out of 10.

i watch the "everything wrong" videos on YouTube, with movies I won't be likely to see otherwise ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LclPKwhfSIA

I used to work with a woman who was just like Dory ;-)  My best friend ever!  She didn't appreciate the comparison however.

I believe that good stories are "suspension of belief" ... so I never care about the objections that critics make.  So I give it 10/10 ... given that I didn't see all of it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.