Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Inside Out - 10/10

Another perfectly crafted Pixar animation from Disney.

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: SGOS on December 07, 2015, 09:11:48 AM
Haven't seen it, but I'm supposing Creed must be the son of Apollo Creed, who was Rocky's first (I think) match for the Heavy Weight Title.  In that movie or in a subsequent film in the trilogy, Rocky and Apollo become good friends after the fight.  So I assume in the new movie, Rocky becomes a mentor to young Creed out of friendship and respect for this father.  At least, that's how I would do it if I were a Hollywood writer.

Haven't seen it yet. But, a friend of mine who has seen it told me similar, and I think you have basically the story correct as I understand it.  I plan to see it soon. Supposed to be good.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

SGOS

Turkey Hallow  1/10

OMG, Disney failed on this one.  Mary Steenburgen was directed to play a totally flat character.  The others could be excused for lacking talent.  Even Henson's Muppets failed.  In defense of the director, he wasn't given much of a story to work with.

Hijiri Byakuren

This was pretty much my reaction to the trailer for Star Trek Beyond:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7z_FgbGFRo
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Jutter

Thought I'd pop by to give you, without spoilers, my micro-review of
STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS

Me heading for the theatre: "This better be good".
Me leaving the theatre: "Good. This is better."

9/10
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

mauricio

I just saw Contact a few days ago

8/10
basically it was science: the movie.

Shiranu

Torn between starting "Citizen Kane" (never seen it before) or some good ol' film noir flicks. Probably gonna go with Kane.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Atheon

Star Wars: The Force Awakens!

Thumbs up! However, I think the part where Jar Jar Binks creates an army of Darth Vader clones to battle the Hutt Empire was a little overdone. But it was saved when Chewie's kids Itchy and Scratchy intervene, making use of their Jedi training.

I kid, of course.

Or am I? Muhahahahahah!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

Quote from: mauricio on December 17, 2015, 12:47:59 AM
I just saw Contact a few days ago

8/10
basically it was science: the movie.

Science... and the politicians that can't wait to use or oppose it for whatever means it offers them.

Rob Lowe does the best imitation of a Jerry Falwell type "God vs. science" sleaze bag.

Atheon

Quote from: SGOS on December 17, 2015, 05:22:48 AMRob Lowe does the best imitation of a Jerry Falwell type "God vs. science" sleaze bag.
I think his sleazy smarminess was based on Ralph Reed. Even his name: Richard Rank...
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

Quote from: Atheon on December 17, 2015, 07:35:07 AM
I think his sleazy smarminess was based on Ralph Reed. Even his name: Richard Rank...

I never caught his name in the movie.  "Richard Rank"  That's perfect!  He should get an Academy Award for Best Pompous Religious Harangue in a Motion Picture.

Atheon

But seriously, though I'm still absorbing it and still have some questions I need to resolve, I would give The Force Awakens a tentative 9/10.

I have some nitpicks, which I will not get into yet (for the sake of avoiding spoilers), but it feels like Star Wars is back! It definitely towers above the prequels (an easy feat, I admit), and I would also rate it above Return of the Jedi. It's back to the humanness of the first two of the original trilogy. It also has a good deal of humor, but of a good kind, not the stilted attempts at humor in the prequels. You don't need to know anything about the prequels to see this movie, but you should see the original trilogy first of you haven't. (And who but some isolated Amazonian tribesfolk hasn't seen them?)

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVD32rnzOw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozfGeGYe-lY

Seriously, wtf about this even reminds you of Star Trek, the kickboxing or motorcycle stunts?  Those would probably be great for another franchise, but in this setting, it just doesn't work.  And Beastie Boys?  Who the hell thought that was a good idea?  Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally opposed to high octane action in Star Trek, but this completely overshadows all other aspects of the franchise.  The beating heart of Star Trek is its journey into the unknown (testing humanity's resolve and ability to solve major problems, to prove itself worthy as a new galactic power) and its exploration of the human condition.  Without that, it's just Fast 5 in Space.  Vacuous.  Pointless.  A waste of everyone's time.

I never thought I'd see the day, but Star Trek is slowly dying as Star Wars flourishes.  :(

Shiranu

Going to be lazy and just quote myself from facebook...

QuoteMy review of Star Wars: It returned to it's roots... to what made Star Wars great... and it felt like I was finally back in the Star Wars universe. Was it a perfect movie? No... but it returned me to a galaxy that I loved and missed. A perfect 10 for me for emotional reasons.

I absolutely loved it.

Edit Edit: I will expand; I think it's only the second time in my life that I have been truly head-over-heels in love with anyone or anything. There was not a moment in the film my eyes weren't wide, the stupidest grin of my life on my face, bitting my finger or covering my face just to try and hide how enamored I was with it. And this isn't so much the film itself as the universe being brought back to life... but the film brought me back into this universe in a way only Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars Galaxies, KotOR, all the great books and A New Hope have done... KotOR, Star Wars Galaxies and the books really BEING my childhood as I lived in the middle of no where or was at a hospital the majority of my childhood and they were basically "my parents".

Edit: In hindsight I will say this...

WARNING: SPOILERS

[spoiler]Kylo Ren is not powerful enough... I realise he is still an apprentice to the Dark Side... but I just feel that him and Rey would likely grow at the same pace (although the Dark Side is "stronger" so perhaps he can have the power advantage in the second film) which means he will always be second best.

But perhaps they find some Sith holocron or something that grants him much more immediate power... or in killing his father it pushes him into all out anger and "Sithness" and that exponentially makes him more powerful as he stops holding back.

However I have seen people complain about his "teen angst" lightsaber wailing on walls and shit... but honestly it fits how a Sith should be... overpowered by their anger. Only a master Sith should be able to hide and control their emotions whereas a Sith trainee should behave exactly as he did. I also hope he doesn't put up with subordinate shit as much as he did in this one (much as Vader did in the first and then didn't in the second and third).

All in all... the actor didn't feel quite as inspired as I would have liked and the character is a bit weak... but there is a shitload of potential with Ren and I believe the new trilogy is in good hands so... I believe he can be a proper evil bastard in due time.[/spoiler]
QuoteIt's back to the humanness of the first two of the original trilogy

I have to disagree here... Return is perhaps one of the most human of them all... at least as much as A New Hope. The entire scene between Vader-Luke-Emperor is just an emotional and psychological roller coaster for Luke and Vader.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Atheon

The Force Awakens.... SPOILERS!!

[spoiler]
...parallels Episode IV very closely in many ways; almost a remake.

Secret information stored in a droid
The bad guys looking for the droid
Orphan on a desert planet meets old man who becomes mentor, who is later killed by bad guy
Bad guy is servant of even more evil bad guy who appears as gigantic hologram
Info delivered to rebels who analyze it and launch attack on planet-destroying weapon[/spoiler]