how far is too far for human advancement?

Started by doorknob, July 22, 2014, 01:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

So I guess the consensuses is that we are better off if everyone is stupid and ugly; where would Sarah Palin,or Donald Trump fit in that world?  :eek: :lol: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Desdinova

Before humankind can advance to the levels that have been put forth in this thread, we must overcome the greed and lust for power that has always been a factor in our history.  Some may argue, in fact, that those very traits are necessary for us to attain a higher level of existence.  All too often, however, they have been the primary ingredients for our greatest failures.

As for the treatment that will eliminate criminal behavior, I am reminded of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib2ubOWRmFw
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Solitary

I'm not, because taking a pill, or having gene therapy, as well as surgery is not torture. If I was in prison for the most heinous crime I would want something done to prevent me from doing what I did, and could become a member of society again. This would greatly benefit society to have psychopaths actually cured. And why wouldn't it be good to make, or prevent, those that are mentally challenged, or delusional from hallucinations? Solitary

doorknob

Well said

I think people fear what I'm talking about because they fear it will alter who they are. But you will still be you just enhanced to a level that will allow you to flourish.

The only problem with my wish for this is greed and power will stop or prevent such treatments from becoming available as that would be leveling the playing field and the rich and powerful hardly want that.

Desdinova

Even if such a pill, or gene therapy existed, we would be slow to adapt such a drug or process.  As doorknob alluded, I fear the political powers that be would fight against such a treatment.  There is money to be made from the incarceration of humans.  Corrrectional and law enforcement budgets would evaporate, the industries that thrive on crime prevention and the correctional would lose money.  I could go on and on.  They would fail to see the ultimate benefits of such a treatment, long range as they are.  People have trouble seeing anything beyond tomorrow.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Solitary

But not if the politicians and psychopathic CEO's and Clergy took the treatment.  :eek: :rotflmao: Solitary

doorknob

Good point but I have a feeling they'd refuse. Well unless we sold it to them in way that would appeal to their greed that is.