News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A close shave.

Started by pr126, November 07, 2015, 12:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 07, 2015, 10:28:17 AM
The boogieman under pr's bed at night is now an oppressed minority and the moozlims have taken over.

:shut_up:

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: pr126 on November 07, 2015, 10:39:53 AM
:shut_up:

Wow..snappy comeback no doubt inspired by the oppressed boogieman. 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

pr126

Teaching religion is like listening to second hand car salesmen, trying to sell an invisible used car.

jonb

The books shown are history books covering the growth of Islamic empires.
A history lesson.

If in teaching about Italy the pope was mentioned and the papal states would that make it religious education?

Is there any evidence shown religion was being taught?

Jack89

Drawing Mohammed is such a hot topic because radical Muslims kill people for it, not because it's supposedly disrespectful to do so.  The reason it is forbidden by Muslims is to prevent idol worship, as alluded to by pr.  Mohammed is considered a man and drawing his image may lead to worshiping him rather than Allah.  Makes sense if you're Muslim, but is ridiculous of you're not.

I see this as similar to some Jews spelling God as G-d.  To them it's disrespectful to erase the name of God so you avoid writing it.  Again, that's great for those who believe such a thing, but ridiculous for those who don't.  The difference is that we don't have radical Jews going around killing people for writing the word "God".  Would it be appropriate to forbid kids from spelling the word God in school, or avoid assignments where it would occur? 

jonb

Or could it be that with a 1.4% Asian presence even in a little place like Acton California there could be islamic children in the class?
To not expect them to do the work would be problematic for an all inclusive policy, so it might be better to get children to draw something else next time which would not effect anybodies education in the least.

TomFoolery

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 07, 2015, 10:28:17 AM
The boogieman under pr's bed at night is now an oppressed minority and the moozlims have taken over.

I'll be honest, when I see new topics started by pr, all I can think is "What have the Muslims done now?"
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Jack89

Quote from: jonb on November 07, 2015, 11:33:41 AM
Or could it be that with a 1.4% Asian presence even in a little place like Acton California there could be islamic children in the class?
To not expect them to do the work would be problematic for an all inclusive policy, so it might be better to get children to draw something else next time which would not effect anybodies education in the least.
Should we avoid teaching evolution in schools to comply with an all inclusive policy?  It obviously offends a lot of Christians and isn't necessary for most professions.  Of course not.

It seems like such a little thing to avoid the subject, but we need to recognize it for what it is.  It's falling prey to coercion.  We're afraid for our children so we comply with terrorist demands.  It's perfectly understandable.

jonb

Sorry I forgot how fucked up you country is, if getting ten year olds to draw pictures of semi mythical beings in history lessons is the only way that you can then be allowed to teach biology then you have to make those choices.

I feel so lucky to be on this side of the pond.

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on November 07, 2015, 10:39:41 AM
Disagree. Religious education and religious practice are not the same thing. Education is rarely a bad thing. I am grateful for my own religious education.

I got my religious education outside of school.  For example when Catholicism was mentioned in public school, it was part of history, not as a religion.  I knew Cortez was a Spanish Catholic ... but I didn't need to know much about Catholicism for that.  So yes, as long as religious figures are treated as historical figures ... no problem.  Except of course that Jesus is not a historical figure, nor was Moses.  Muhammad was.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Jack89 on November 07, 2015, 11:17:29 AM
Drawing Mohammed is such a hot topic because radical Muslims kill people for it, not because it's supposedly disrespectful to do so.  The reason it is forbidden by Muslims is to prevent idol worship, as alluded to by pr.  Mohammed is considered a man and drawing his image may lead to worshiping him rather than Allah.  Makes sense if you're Muslim, but is ridiculous of you're not.

I see this as similar to some Jews spelling God as G-d.  To them it's disrespectful to erase the name of God so you avoid writing it.  Again, that's great for those who believe such a thing, but ridiculous for those who don't.  The difference is that we don't have radical Jews going around killing people for writing the word "God".  Would it be appropriate to forbid kids from spelling the word God in school, or avoid assignments where it would occur?

Only ultra-orthodox Jews would get after someone for using god or God ... and only when done by Jews.  We don't try to enforce our standards outside our group ... for obvious reasons.  In a public school situation, I would encourage "god" or "gods" as standard, treating all the same way most of us treat Greek mythology.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: jonb on November 07, 2015, 02:21:08 PM
Sorry I forgot how fucked up you country is, if getting ten year olds to draw pictures of semi mythical beings in history lessons is the only way that you can then be allowed to teach biology then you have to make those choices.

I feel so lucky to be on this side of the pond.

You sent all your crazies over here ... what did you expect ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GrinningYMIR

It always goes down to pr calling shir the equivalently of a Muslim apologist/west hater and shir calling pr an alarmist racist type deal.

I miss the randomness of these threads ;3;
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Shiranu

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on November 07, 2015, 08:32:32 PM
It always goes down to pr calling shir the equivalently of a Muslim apologist/west hater and shir calling pr an alarmist racist type deal.

I miss the randomness of these threads ;3;

I get the Muslim apologist, but I never understood the, "I hate the west!" angle. Ah well...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jack89

Quote from: Baruch on November 07, 2015, 08:18:18 PM
Only ultra-orthodox Jews would get after someone for using god or God ... and only when done by Jews.  We don't try to enforce our standards outside our group ... for obvious reasons.  In a public school situation, I would encourage "god" or "gods" as standard, treating all the same way most of us treat Greek mythology.
As it should be.  Thanks for the clarification.