News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TWO HOURS?!?!?!

Started by Nam, July 24, 2014, 01:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

Quote from: stromboli on July 24, 2014, 11:44:25 AM
I had 2 friends that lost their lives in high school from Carbon Monoxide poisoning, and they both just died. No indication of pain or struggle. Interesting.

Two of my high school classmates were parking. It was winter, they left the car running and the car exhaust was broken. It appears they fell asleep and never woke up.

stromboli

Quote from: GSOgymrat on July 24, 2014, 02:55:35 PM
Two of my high school classmates were parking. It was winter, they left the car running and the car exhaust was broken. It appears they fell asleep and never woke up.

Yeah. My friends were listening to the radio in an unheated garage and had the car running to stay warm. Same thing, they just went to sleep.

SGOS

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 24, 2014, 11:31:49 AM
What I don't understand is the foolishness of lethal injection when heroin is dirt cheap, painless and abundant.
For things that society (and the government) views as ideologically important, it does seem like they often complicate the solution.  Perhaps, as some sort of compromise in the political leadership, the preferred solution is one that few people really understand.  Maybe this makes the solution seem like something that has been carefully thought out.  The result is that in the end, it is not understood, and oftentimes, not the most effective way of going forward.  You can probably think of lots of examples of this kind of thing in government.

Atheon

How about abolishing the death penalty altogether? No, that would be logical...
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

stromboli

Quote from: Atheon on July 26, 2014, 12:44:57 PM

Oh, stop. Quit dragging logic into emotional discussions. :naughty:

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Atheon on July 26, 2014, 12:44:57 PM
Do you think there's nobody who deserves to fry?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Nam

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 26, 2014, 02:12:52 PM

It's not a matter of deserving but if one is going to be barbaric at least be up front about it; or, if you're going to "fry" someone make sure they're actually the one who did the crime.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 26, 2014, 02:12:52 PM
I think it has to do with preventing harm. If someone has no chance of reforming, I wouldn't say he "deserves to fry" but it's better him rather than letting havoc to continually run amok. If someone is convicted of killing people, gets arrested and then when he is released, goes back to killing people, the best answer right now is death. It's not a good answer, but it's the best answer we have right now. It's not like life in prison does anything, but waste tax money. If they are getting life in prison, they might as well just go... and that is really upsetting, because we really need to figure out a good, fool proof way of reformation so we no longer need the death penalty.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Nam on July 26, 2014, 02:46:39 PM
It's not a matter of deserving but if one is going to be barbaric at least be up front about it; or, if you're going to "fry" someone make sure they're actually the one who did the crime.

-Nam
I volunteered to throw the switch back in  1995, on behalf of a friend. The guy 'fessed up after he was found guilty. I lost no sleep over it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Nam

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 26, 2014, 02:55:20 PM
I think it has to do with preventing harm. If someone has no chance of reforming, I wouldn't say he "deserves to fry" but it's better him rather than letting havoc to continually run amok. If someone is convicted of killing people, gets arrested and then when he is released, goes back to killing people, the best answer right now is death. It's not a good answer, but it's the best answer we have right now. It's not like life in prison does anything, but waste tax money. If they are getting life in prison, they might as well just go... and that is really upsetting, because we really need to figure out a good, fool proof way of reformation so we no longer need the death penalty.

More money is spent keeping them on death row than just keeping them their for life.

-Nam

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Nam on July 26, 2014, 02:57:10 PM
More money is spent keeping them on death row than just keeping them their for life.

-Nam
It's less money to keep them there for life? I didn't know that. I thought it was the other way around.

Sent from your mom

Nam

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 26, 2014, 02:59:21 PM
It's less money to keep them there for life? I didn't know that. I thought it was the other way around.

Sent from your mom

You add in the plethora of appeals which tax payers pay for. See, 75+ years ago it was much simpler, you were found guilty, no appeal, and you were hanged (or shot, gassed, etc.,) but prisoners have rights, especially those on death row, and they can exhaust as much as they want. In California a judge recently stated the death penalty was unconstitutional there because either the appeals process took so long 20+ years would pass or the courts were so backed up and the scheduling of an execution was taking too long (15-20 years).

All that costs tax payers a shitload of money.

-Nam

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Nam on July 26, 2014, 03:06:01 PM
You add in the plethora of appeals which tax payers pay for. See, 75+ years ago itvwas much simpler, you were found guilty, no appeal, and you were hanged (or shot, gassed, etc.,) but prisoners have rights, especially those on death row, and they can exhaust as much as they want. In California a judge recently stated the death penalty was unconstitutional there because either the appeals process took so long 20+ years would pass or the courts were so backed up and the scheduling of an execution was taking too long (15-20 years).

All that costs tax payers a shitload of money.

-Nam
Yeah I didn't realize that.

I still say that we need a better, actually foolproof reformation method. I hate the death penalty even though sometimes it's a necessity.

Sent from your mom

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 26, 2014, 02:55:43 PM
I volunteered to throw the switch back in  1995, on behalf of a friend. The guy 'fessed up after he was found guilty. I lost no sleep over it.
I think this says less about how you feel toward the death penalty than it does about your willingness to suspend rational thought for the sake of revenge.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 26, 2014, 03:33:51 PM
I think this says less about how you feel toward the death penalty than it does about your willingness to suspend rational thought for the sake of revenge.
That was one of the feelings I had at the time. Another was the feeling you get when you take your friend to pick up his daughters from the country morgue.
PZ Myers