Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Deadpool 9.5/10.  Go see it.

My roommate practically begged me to see it.  He loves DP way more than I do.  He probably wants more DP right now and we just got done with DP.  He's insatiable.

Ryan Reynolds gets Deadpool.  His portrayal is 100% spot on.  Seriously, this guy is to Deadpool as Heath Ledger is to the Joker.  Except he's around for a sequel.  Deadpool is his normal, jokey, 4th wall breaking self.  Plus, you get to see that underneath that wackiness, he's an asshole, a merc, an asshole, another asshole, and a screw-up, but underneath all that - he's a troubled guy trying to fix his life.

The action was good, the jokes were good, the plot was...what's the opposite of overwhelming?  Underwhelming?  Nah, it wasn't that bad.  It was whelming.  I feel whelmed.  Also, the post-credits scene kinda sucked.  Not as bad as Guardians of the Galaxy, but it was still pretty bad.

A couple nitpicks:
[spoiler]Where the hell are the cops?  Seriously.  Not one anywhere.  What was it, free hot coffee and blowjob day at Dunkin Donuts?  Is it doughnuts or donuts?  I can never remember.  Fuck it, people know what I mean.  And blowjob is an alcoholic drink, you pervs.  Hot coffee is the sex act.

The X-Men were more or less filler.  Nice to look at, but didn't really add much to the film.  Superwhelming.  And I don't mean like the Latin root indicates - above whelming.  I mean that they took whelming, sprayed it with chrome, put it in spandex and told it that it was substantially contributing when it wasn't.  It was just kind of there.

Also, I feel bad for the chronically underpaid uber driver and possible felon - if cops even exist in this universe.  If they don't, he's probably going get lucky.  Either way, he has a ticket to pound town.

Also, the Weapon X clinic (which has been privatized, thanks Obama!) makes no sense.  They basically just torture people then give them superpowers.  No way that's going to bite them on the ass.  Spoiler!  It does.  And they don't even necessarily have to do torture to get the adrenaline up.  And selling them to the highest bidder sounds like a bad business model.  When they get one, they just kidnap the rest.  Or kill you during the handoff and blow up the clinic.  Kinda dumb, and this is coming from a guy who thought for years that the capital of Australia was Vienna.

Also, Deadpool should have recognized and pointed out Stan Lee!  Golden opportunity wasted!

Anyway, Deadpool was great.[/spoiler]

The Skeletal Atheist

Ryan Reynolds ass and cock. Also lots of gore. That's all I have to say.

(For those degenerates attracted to vag, there's plenty of that.)
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ugHP-yZXw

I feel like someone shat on my shoes.

First off, I'm kinda having trouble believing these super educated geniuses wouldn't have normal jobs.  The world's foremost expert in quantum physics is just chilling out in some NYC rathole instead of CERN or NASA.  Seems kinda unlikely.  I could tolerate the streetwise black lady cliche if she didn't have the "Aww hell no" line.  Cringe.

Second, it seems like a real generic, stupid comedy banking completely on nostalgia, like Pixels.  I don't remember the original Ghostbusters all that well, but I'm pretty sure it had better jokes.

Then there's the acting.  It seems goofy.  Like Jar Jar squared goofy.  Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

Just all in all, real bottom-bin garbage.  The best thing about this is probably the CGI.  I feel bad for the CGI team working hard for such an enormous flop.

SGOS

The first Ghost Busters was kind of cute, I guess.  It became somewhat of an icon for reasons I never quite understood.  It's not a movie I would have considered worth a reboot.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on March 05, 2016, 04:13:04 PM
The first Ghost Busters was kind of cute, I guess.  It became somewhat of an icon for reasons I never quite understood.  It's not a movie I would have considered worth a reboot.
Yeah, me neither.  I could see a reboot if and only if Bill Murray could return in a sort of Han Solo role.  Otherwise, nah.

Draconic Aiur

aitm

The Monuments Men, actually not bad. A rather melancholy movie. One of those you kinda watch because you're bored and end up liking. I give it a 7 because it does exactly that. It exceeds your expectations as the movie goes along.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

The Divergents:  Allegiant

I watched this with a mild and detached interest.  I know these youngsters are committed to saving the world and all, but I kept having the feeling that their efforts weren't really worth the bother.  They escape the dystopia they are in and wander about the wasteland finding better societies, which then turn out to be flawed and as bad as the evil they are trying to escape.  While I like movies about dystopian futures, I don't connect with this one.  The first in the series was worth the price of a ticket, however.  Or at least I thought it was.

Sal1981

A Tale of Two Sisters.

Shit horror movie. 4/10

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 21, 2016, 10:05:40 AM
A Tale of Two Sisters.

Shit horror movie. 4/10

My two nieces weren't happy sharing the same bedroom.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

caseagainstfaith

Batman V Superman

In my theater, there was NO LESS THAN 3 CRYING BABIES! And I think it was actually 4 or 5! Goddammit! If you can't afford a baby sitter than you can't afford to go out on a date. Sorry, but that's life.

As far as the movie, well, I basically enjoyed it. Certainly better than the reviews. I thought that it had a generally overly self-serious overly dramatic tone to it. And the score seemed to scream at you, "this is serious, dude!". But, I thought the pluses did outweigh the negatives and say its a 7.5 out of 10.

(slight trivial spoiler....) I thought when Batman turned from anti-Superman to pro-Superman, it was too quick and cheesy. "I was gonna kill you a second ago, and I was super duper serious about it and all that shit, but now you're my BFF!"

But, for the people that thought Affleck would suck as Batman, they were wrong. He was good.

As far as Eisenburg as Lex Luther, well, I thought he did a pretty good unhinged performance. Though some might say he was too influenced by Ledger's Joker.

Still, way better than you might think from the reviews. At least in my opinion.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Shiranu

OH MY GOD, yes about the babies! And kids who would not shut. The. Fuck. Up. about superman at closing scenes... Fuck me...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

AllPurposeAtheist

Watched Landmine Goes Click..
Some American tourists get caught up when one accidentally steps on a landmine and can't move while his girlfriend is supposedly brutalized and raped by the local bad guy, but the part that is so ridiculously fake is from the moment the bad guy arrives (he has a shotgun and a Rottweiler) and seems willing to help, but the couple start right off being insulting calling him asshole, etc., which by any standard they're in no position to be rude to anyone much less a guy with a shotgun and a big mean dog.. .. 1 out of 10.. Be sure to watch it..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

drunkenshoe

I have been watching Hunger Games. I am at the last one. It's pretty good.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

My daughter (25) liked the series, speaks to her generation, but not mine.  Timing is critical ... she didn't like the Twilight series ... it was directed at girls just a bit younger than her.  I am odd, I have a liking for modern-made Chinese historical drama that is close to a soap opera.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.