News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is This You Atheist?

Started by Solitary, August 01, 2015, 07:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Dtq, in all honesty...  If I was in a restaurant and a person was praying, and then an atheist went up to complain to them the atheist would be the annoying asshole. The person complaining to the person for praying would be WAY more annoying than the person he's complaining to.
My dinner would be ruined because some dick-wad decided to be all high and mighty because he thought he had a higher intellect, when in reality, he has zero idea how to conduct himself in a place where people eat.

And that's coming from an atheist pov.

Sent from your mom.

dtq123

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 02, 2015, 01:10:03 PM
Dtq, in all honesty...  If I was in a restaurant and a person was praying, and then an atheist went up to complain to them the atheist would be the annoying asshole. The person complaining to the person for praying would be WAY more annoying than the person he's complaining to.
My dinner would be ruined because some dick-wad decided to be all high and mighty because he thought he had a higher intellect, when in reality, he has zero idea how to conduct himself in a place where people eat.

And that's coming from an atheist pov.

Sent from your mom.

I get that, but what about pranks? Sure the target might get upset, but won't other people enjoy it? I'm just choosing a good target! XD
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

PickelledEggs

By simply making more of a scene/commotion by trolling them, you become an asshole, in my opinion. It doesn't matter if you're complaining or "playing along"... It's selfish on your end and it's agitating for everyone else in the  room that doesn't want to overhear the person that thinks it's a good idea to troll or complain to another person that just wanted to eat their dinner.

Sent from your mom.

dtq123

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 02, 2015, 02:34:48 PM
By simply making more of a scene/commotion by trolling them, you become an asshole, in my opinion. It doesn't matter if you're complaining or "playing along"... It's selfish on your end and it's agitating for everyone else in the  room that doesn't want to overhear the person that thinks it's a good idea to troll or complain to another person that just wanted to eat their dinner.

Sent from your mom.
Ok, I'm an asshole. I'm ok with that. :eyes:
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"

PickelledEggs

Quote from: dtq123 on August 02, 2015, 02:39:52 PM
at least you acknowledge it...  :doh:

Sent from your mom.

Mike Cl

Quote from: dtq123 on August 02, 2015, 02:39:52 PM
I really do fully understand the impulse to be an asshole to publicly praying christians.  And I do know that some people get off on pranking.  Personally, I hate pranking and I hate practical jokes.  Most often they reflect badly on the pranker or joker.  And if you are doing the disruption in the name of atheism, then you are giving atheism a black eye.  Why not do something with a little class.  Do something like this:  after the prayer is finished, go up to the elder, say something like, 'I understand what you were doing and that is a good thing.'  Then give him/her a prepared business size card with the bible verse that says praying in public is to be avoided.  Then say something like: 'This is what Jesus wants you to do.'  Smile, then walk away and totally ignore them the rest of the time.  This would have a most jarring effect, I bet, on that whole group.  You would have given them something to talk about for a long long time.  You would have made a valid point--you would have appeared as a pretty smart fellow--and you would have hit them where they live.   And you would not give on  lookers the knowledge that you are an asshole.  Learn, dtq, what buttons to push to get the most bang-for-the-buck when you want to irritate a person or group.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

dtq123

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 02, 2015, 05:38:13 PM
I really do fully understand the impulse to be an asshole to publicly praying christians.  And I do know that some people get off on pranking.  Personally, I hate pranking and I hate practical jokes.  Most often they reflect badly on the pranker or joker.  And if you are doing the disruption in the name of atheism, then you are giving atheism a black eye.  Why not do something with a little class.  Do something like this:  after the prayer is finished, go up to the elder, say something like, 'I understand what you were doing and that is a good thing.'  Then give him/her a prepared business size card with the bible verse that says praying in public is to be avoided.  Then say something like: 'This is what Jesus wants you to do.'  Smile, then walk away and totally ignore them the rest of the time.  This would have a most jarring effect, I bet, on that whole group.  You would have given them something to talk about for a long long time.  You would have made a valid point--you would have appeared as a pretty smart fellow--and you would have hit them where they live.   And you would not give on  lookers the knowledge that you are an asshole.  Learn, dtq, what buttons to push to get the most bang-for-the-buck when you want to irritate a person or group.
Why didn't I think of that :doh:

It'd be one of my best pranks around!

BTW, I never actually have done those things in a restaurant, let alone seen it happen here in Seattle. I have messed with street preachers though :eyes:
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"

Baruch

Solitary ... bumping like this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knockout_game

Not a prank, it is a crime.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

I offer to feed them to hungry lions to make sure they're properly persecuted.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

doorknob

If I were in this situation I wouldn't say a thing. It's there freedom of speech and what not and it doesn't bother me in the least.

I do some times laugh at the fact that they are praying to nothing but that's just me.

Solitary

Well at least they weren't in the streets blocking traffic praying toward Mecca. That's when I'd like to have a steam roller. :eek:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Aupmanyav

Quote from: dtq123 on August 02, 2015, 02:39:52 PMI have messed with street preachers though :eyes:
I am an atheist. I do not see anything wrong with that. They are impinging on your liberty but making you hear what you do not want to hear. You have a right to protest, although it is not going to deter them. But let the Christians pray silently at their table.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)