Any Thoughts or Consolation for the Opposition?

Started by Aletheia, June 27, 2015, 06:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aletheia

It is a sad time for those who fought valiantly to maintain the sanctity of marriage being between a man and a woman as God had intended.

I think we should send our condolences and offer our support.

So, to get things started, this reminded me of how the opposition must be feeling right about now:

Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

kilodelta

Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

dtq123

A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

TomFoolery

Quote from: Aletheia on June 27, 2015, 06:34:12 PM
I think we should send our condolences and offer our support.

I think I've asked this of many people on social media in the past 48 hours or so, but why is homosexuality the hill you want to die on, out of all the other stuff in the Bible says is wrong, like divorce, adultery, pre-marital sex, tattoos, etc.? If they were able to come around and accept that another person having a tattoo or getting a divorce hasn't ruined their entire life, hopefully one day they will see that applies to homosexuality. I wish them the best in their soul-searching. I really do.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Hydra009

I generally only offer people consolation when bad stuff happens to them.  In this case, nothing bad actually happened to them.  Basically, they only lost the ability to legally exclude people they don't like from marriage.  So I have exactly zero sympathy to offer them.

However, it will be interesting to see how they take this.  If they accept the outcome and move on, I won't hold a grudge.  If they fuss and whine that they didn't get their way and demand that society change back to accommodate their primitive views (apparently the far more popular reaction at the moment), then they can bugger off.

TomFoolery

I was able to offer this consolation yesterday, to an unapologetic, born-again evangelical militant Christian who as it turns out, has a few tattoos. Perhaps it's not consoling to reveal to someone that their tattoos put them on par with homosexuals in the eyes of the Lord, but maybe it will give her pause to think. Maybe? Ok, probably not. But it made me feel better.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

hrdlr110

Is it possible that this ruling is a backhanded attempt at removing non-profit status of churches? Wouldn't they lose their status if they don't serve everybody equally under the new law?
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

Mike Cl

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 28, 2015, 09:19:17 AM

I was able to offer this consolation yesterday, to an unapologetic, born-again evangelical militant Christian who as it turns out, has a few tattoos. Perhaps it's not consoling to reveal to someone that their tattoos put them on par with homosexuals in the eyes of the Lord, but maybe it will give her pause to think. Maybe? Ok, probably not. But it made me feel better.
And it should make you feel better.  Outing ignorance is always reason to feel better.  Good job!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Solitary

I pray for them!  :eek:  Because that is all they deserve.  :fU:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Aletheia

I think this will definitely give the opposition much pause in the coming weeks:

Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

SGOS

Quote from: hrdlr110 on June 28, 2015, 09:29:43 AM
Is it possible that this ruling is a backhanded attempt at removing non-profit status of churches? Wouldn't they lose their status if they don't serve everybody equally under the new law?
That's an interesting idea, and sometimes politics has such hidden agendas, but I don't think either party really wants to tax churches.  They very fact that I think it's a wonderful idea tells me it probably ain't gonna happen.

hrdlr110

Quote from: SGOS on June 28, 2015, 11:48:20 AM
That's an interesting idea, and sometimes politics has such hidden agendas, but I don't think either party really wants to tax churches.  They very fact that I think it's a wonderful idea tells me it probably ain't gonna happen.

I suppose it's a way to find out exactly where some churches really stand on the issue. I don't think they can turn away members of a community they serve without forfeiting their non-profit status. That's the way i understand it anyhow. But i think you're right,  it's too appealing to actually happen. And faced with the choice; marry same sex partners or lose your non profit status,  i reckon most might start marketing gay marriage on their reader boards.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

Mike Cl

Quote from: hrdlr110 on June 28, 2015, 11:20:29 PM
I suppose it's a way to find out exactly where some churches really stand on the issue. I don't think they can turn away members of a community they serve without forfeiting their non-profit status. That's the way i understand it anyhow. But i think you're right,  it's too appealing to actually happen. And faced with the choice; marry same sex partners or lose your non profit status,  i reckon most might start marketing gay marriage on their reader boards.
I don't think any church will be forced to marry anybody they don't want to--and that includes gays.  A gay couple can always get a civil marriage. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?