News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The biology of religion

Started by jonb, September 09, 2015, 06:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 10, 2015, 10:38:52 AM
the times I feel part of something bigger than myself is when I am in nature and not distracted by other people, so many of these reasons people want to be involved in a church are lost on me.

That resonates strongly with me.

Baruch

GSOgymrat ... but such religious practices exist ... but to become a monk, you have to eat lots of bananas.  As a religious hermit however, you don't have to share them ;-)

jonb ... ever hear of the Church Father, Tertullian?  He said "I believe it because it is absurd".  But his absurdity got worse, he left the Orthodox Church for the Montanist Church, and when that didn't fit the bill, he formed his own church.  Repeated denial will only take you so far.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Baruch on September 10, 2015, 02:06:29 PM
GSOgymrat ... but such religious practices exist ... but to become a monk, you have to eat lots of bananas.  As a religious hermit however, you don't have to share them ;-)

Plus monk robes are too blousy. As a hermit I could rock a loin cloth. [emoji1]

jonb

Baruch

Although it might be questionable how happy Sisyphus is it does not look like his motivation is to find a place of rest.

GSOgymrat
You seem to mirror my feelings.but I am more concerned with what sort of hat I should wear.

I've got this nice little Porkpie titfor.

GSOgymrat

Yes, the proper hat is crucial.

CrucifyCindy

Wow...memes...the most pseudoscientific concept to come around since phrenology.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 10, 2015, 06:56:48 PM
Wow...memes...the most pseudoscientific concept to come around since phrenology.
The evidence for cultural memes is observed in human behavior over the course of history.

Your move, Theist! Where's the evidence for your position on memes? Based on your behavior accross multiple threads, I doubt that you really understand anything on how science actually works.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on September 10, 2015, 07:08:18 PM
The evidence for cultural memes is observed in human behavior over the course of history.

Your move, Theist! Where's the evidence for your position on memes? Based on your behavior accross multiple threads, I doubt that you really understand anything on how science actually works.

We used to call that shit folklore and mythology not memes atheist...it works...now produce for me physical evidence of a meme
 William S. Burroughs

CrucifyCindy

So what is the evidence that memetics is an actual science? Dawkins says memes exist, i believe it...that settles it? Sorry sunshine but no...that world does not exist or work according to Dawkins. Memetics is a pseudoscience.
 William S. Burroughs

jonb

QuoteMeme an element of a culture or system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means.
That is not a science it is a definition, if you do not know the difference I suggest you get yourself a dictionary, It might be a good idea for you to do that anyway as you seem to have a lot of problems with defining concepts and words.

Baruch

Meme Wars .. in a dictionary far far away, used by people long long ago before they had apps on their iCrap and were rendered unable do anything for themselves ...

For some people, only hardware exists.  Software is just an unsubstantiated rumor ;-)

Jonb - I am a mad hatter myself.  But I can't blame arsenic poisoning from making hats.  Must be too much coffee.  Yes, that scarab beetle is part of the circle of life ... a hard working mother who isn't getting any help from the husband, as usual ... and after she gets that dung ball where she needs it, that will be the hatchery for her little grubs.  Ever have children?  Every call your babies grubs ... in front of their mother?  If so, how did you manage to stay alive!

"Wow...memes...the most pseudoscientific concept to come around since phrenology." ... actually the most pseudoscientific was phlogiston, but then multiple universe theory came along ;-)  Reality is, it is all pseudoscience, but some pseudoscience is more plausible or more usable than others.  The particularly usable parts us engineers use to do actual work.  For example, in structural engineering, when you are designing a steel column to support a building, you use a semi-empirical formula (with parameters taken from actual testing) ... you don't try to calculate from first principles (quantum string theory).  In fact, in most quantum mechanics, it is impossible to calculate very much at all, because any non-toy situation is too hard to compute.  But QM does work adequately for toy situations.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

jonb

Baruch I have the impression like many Americans you imagine my home life to be like this
https://youtu.be/17CWRk1uYdQ

The truth is- this is a far more accurate portrayal of me and the missus

https://youtu.be/fb-f8CTafHs

Baruch

If it weren't for Masterpiece Theater ... I would think you were all cartoons like Andy Capp ;-)  Or maybe Benny Hill?

Or are you implying you like to dress up as a duchess ... I assume the younger lady is your normally dressed wife ;-))

On the second video ... which one is you ... I can't tell [-:)>  Or are you married to Mrs Bucket?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Termin

Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

stromboli

Dressed up like a million dollar trooper
Trying hard to look like Gary Cooper
come lets mix on the forum here that we got
every now and then we'll take a cheap shot

Whether its bumbershoots or umbrellas
we can mix like happy fellas
but its the shits
when you're dissin' on the Brits!