News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Catholic Church "Miracles"

Started by Paolo, December 07, 2020, 12:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paolo

Also, I NEVER said, in all 27 pages of this thread, ''prove it's not true''. Nor I said anything that could be interpreted/read like that.
Oh noes...I think I’m dead....

Hydra009

Quote from: Paolo on April 26, 2021, 12:39:25 AM
Also, I NEVER said, in all 27 pages of this thread, ''prove it's not true''. Nor I said anything that could be interpreted/read like that.
You literally said disprove in the OP.  One of the more memorable definitions of disprove is "prove to be false"

You can always jump up and down and stamp your feet while claiming that's not what you meant and that the other person is misconstruing your ...I dunno if I'd call it an argument, exactly.  Just Asking Questions, I suppose.  But it's a pretty weak defense (to a pretty weak argument).  Say what you mean and mean what you say or this sort of "misconstruing" is going to keep happening.

Paolo

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 26, 2021, 12:56:58 AM
You literally said disprove in the OP.  One of the more memorable definitions of disprove is "prove to be false"

You can always jump up and down and stamp your feet while claiming that's not what you meant and that the other person is misconstruing your ...I dunno if I'd call it an argument, exactly.  Just Asking Questions, I suppose.  But it's a pretty weak defense (to a pretty weak argument).  Say what you mean and mean what you say or this sort of "misconstruing" is going to keep happening.

Now that I stopped to think about it, I remember why I posted the OP. I was looking for proof against the tongue, since I was curious about the subject. So, from what I understand, you seem to think that negative proof either isn't possible, or that I shouldn't care about this matter in the first place?
Oh noes...I think I’m dead....

SGOS

Quote from: Paolo on April 26, 2021, 12:36:16 AM
He is arguing semantics in the sense that he is focusing on ONE word (disprove), and basing his entire argument off of that. Totally missing the point, or the rest of the post for that matter. It borders on dishonesty. I had to refine my wording because HE took issue with it. So, he was the one who brought up semantics first.
I like watching you slide, glide and weasel.

Irrelevant? How do you determine whether something posted here is relevant or not? What criteria do you use?
Good places to start are if there is any relevant facts that support a claim being made, or if any facts change what we know about reality.  Mostly facts, provable facts, and demonstrable truths would be good.

Relevant or irrelevant for WHOM, exactly?
For one, to the interests of the forum you are in at any given time.  Questions like, Suppose a guy jumped out of a helecopter at 10,000 ft, landed on the street, and walked away?" are not of any interest here.  If that actually happened it might generate a few interested replies. 

In your case, "Suppose those bones belong to St Elmo?" is unimportant.  We don't care if Elmo was a Catholic saint, nor whether or not those bones belong to him.  It's not relevant, because the assertions change nothing.  Maybe they give quivering chills to believers in the supernatural, and they might be highly interested.  You are directing your concerns to people who don't care.  Why here?  It's clear that this is highly important to you.  You need to find an interested audience.  This is the last place you should be to serve your needs.  You should go to priests and ministers. They may give you the answers you are looking for.

So I ain't allowed to even ask if something has been talked about before here?
That's irrelevant. You would do it anyway.

You call yourself a freethinker? Are you kidding or something?
This sounds like paranoia. You should take some meds, and learn to read properly in English as well.
lol
Freethinker is misnomer that is marginally useful because most people casually agree on who that crowd is, but I and most other freethinkers don't wander around thinking freely.  It's quite the opposite.  Our thinking is very much restricted by reality and rules of logic.  We do not allow ourselves the liberty to examine any thought that burbles from our subconscious that we think it's cool or neat.  What you call free thinking is a very restrained approach to our natural world.  It's quite strict actually.   To me freethinking, not the word, but the actual process, is the domain of religion.  Wild thoughts are only excluded by long standing dogma and disapproval of the clerics and peer pressure.  But if some belief catches on it spreads like wildfire.  That's freedom.

And it is catching on in New Age religions, maybe even more, where small groups are allowed to have a greater variety of thoughts that defy the encumbrances of what you call "freethinking."  The very word "skeptic", puts a hard lid on actual free thinking.  To be skeptical is not to be free as per your definition.  It's quite the opposite.

SGOS

I think "freethinker" was originally meant to imply that some person was free from the dogma of a church.  In general usage, I'm not sure that is what is currently intended.  "Freethinker" was probably meant as a pejorative, but the intended target embraced it, and that changed the intention and meaning of the word.  Actually, it's not a good word if you like precision in your language, I don't think.

aitm

Quote from: Paolo on April 26, 2021, 01:53:15 AM
Now that I stopped to think about it, I remember why I posted the OP.

Well.......at the “end of the day” it is important that we can remember why we did something “30 days after doing it”.....CORRECTION!!! 5 months later!!!! ðŸ™,,😁
Thank goodness your not completely insane.....🥸
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Susan

That shit about the saint's tongue is the real deal, though. I've been to Italy and I've seen it!

Cassia

Quote from: Susan on August 23, 2021, 11:42:41 AM
That shit about the saint's tongue is the real deal, though. I've been to Italy and I've seen it!
OK great, I am heading down to the church to sign up, thanks!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Susan on August 23, 2021, 11:42:41 AM
So what?  A tongue proves god???  Actually, that is probably the best piece of evidence that can be offered.  I think it is funny that the christians profess to be against idol worship.  Yet there are thousands of 'icons' of 'saints' that are worshiped.  And crosses with a dead man on them are not idols--of course not. And you (yeah, I am assuming you are a christian) eat this man's flesh and drink his blood--and yet christians condemn other cannibals.  When you were in Italy, did you eat a tongue sandwich? 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mr.Obvious

Just offering my two cents, but I read Susan's comment like a sarcastic joke, not an earnest opinion.

Perhaps I'm an optimist, but with no other clue to her person, that's where it lead me.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 23, 2021, 03:08:41 PM
Just offering my two cents, but I read Susan's comment like a sarcastic joke, not an earnest opinion.

Perhaps I'm an optimist, but with no other clue to her person, that's where it lead me.
I guess I've read one too many trolls. :))  I could have been a touch too sarcastic?  Hmmmm................can one be too sarcastic???
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

I'm quite sure Susan was being sarcastic, because I like the name "Susan".

SGOS

On the other hand, keeping a dead man's tongue around for people to gawk at is quite disturbing.  That it happens in a place of worship is actually creepy.  How many horror movies are centered around religious creep factors?

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on August 25, 2021, 08:51:18 AM
On the other hand, keeping a dead man's tongue around for people to gawk at is quite disturbing.  That it happens in a place of worship is actually creepy.  How many horror movies are centered around religious creep factors?
If one thinks about it, just about all the 'teachings' of the religious are creepy.  Eating the flesh and drinking the blood of some dead guy, who actually offed himself for  self sacrifice for me(that's very creepy)?!  And on and on.

aitm

I would not be surprised that a good screen writer could put the babble into a Conan the barbarian movie and change the names of the prophets and peeps would be none the wiser and cheer for Conan.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust