News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Advice: What universities to go to

Started by CloneKai, November 01, 2013, 12:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CloneKai

Its been awhile since my last post. So for those people who do not know or remember me.
I am the guy who is trying to escape my prison (the pure land).
I am an engineer. My escape plan involves doing masters degree aboard. Then get a job and then live there.

Now onto my questions.

1) How much does ranking of a university matter if you are looking for employment?
2) Should i go for a degree that is cool and interesting for me or for a degree which has most chances of me getting a job?
3) employment opportunities in Germany for bio-engineers.

I have already been accepted in couple of universities. Some are extremely expensive. there is this one good option for me to do something like bio-engineering in Germany. Bio-engineering is cool but I have been unable to find a market there for these kind of things, so i do not know if its a good option for me.

for the expensive options, i probably can pay the tuition but not the living expense. I could work but my parent will not have me washing dishes or something like that. only way i can go there is if my father's friend employs me there.

Maybe i will be accepted in more universities as time goes but as for now what do you guys think i should do.

stromboli

If you can get into Germany with your current degree and get a Master's or whatever, that is not a bad idea. Being multilingual with an Engineering degree is never going to hurt you. I don't know much about Bioengineering, but any degree in emergent technologies ultimately should pay off.

Solitary

I don't know about the best colleges, but I do know a lot of employers will not accept a technical degree unless it is from a college.  :shock:   :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mermaid

I would say go for the degree that you can tolerate and do well in that will give you the most chance of getting a job that will support you. If you get a degree in Art History or something, you'll just want to get another degree in a marketable skill. Bioengineering sounds like a very very good thing to get into if it is something you feel you can be good at. Sometimes it's hard to remember that college is about career choice, not necessarily fun stuff. Sometimes you can make the two converge, but not always.

As for what Uni to go for, I don't think that beyond a certain criterion that it matters *that* much. If I were to hire someone, I'd look at their transcript with a thousand times more scrutiny than the actual prestige of the uni that you attended.

If you take relevant classes and do well in them, that counts for the largest slice of the pie. So look at the classes these places offer and balance out the cost to benefit. More pricey does not mean better. In today's financial climate, you have to be careful about paying too much for your degree!
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PopeyesPappy

A) Where is the Pure Land?
B) What kind of engineer?
C) What kind of Master's degree are you going to pursue?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

CloneKai

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"A) Where is the Pure Land?

A) Its somewhere between India, Afghanistan and Iran. The country became very popular after 9:11.
Where they finished off the enemy number one. :-$
'Pak' means pure.
B) Electric
C) I wish for a cool degree like Ms in bio-engineering (i am already accepted in this program). but i don't know about job opportunities for this degree in Germany. Less cool degree for me would be Ms in Electric or power engineering, but i think there are more job opportunities for these kind of things.

You know there is a reason i don't name things. :rollin:

CloneKai

Quote from: "Mermaid"I would say go for the degree that you can tolerate and do well in that will give you the most chance of getting a job that will support you. If you get a degree in Art History or something, you'll just want to get another degree in a marketable skill. Bioengineering sounds like a very very good thing to get into if it is something you feel you can be good at. Sometimes it's hard to remember that college is about career choice, not necessarily fun stuff. Sometimes you can make the two converge, but not always.

As for what Uni to go for, I don't think that beyond a certain criterion that it matters *that* much. If I were to hire someone, I'd look at their transcript with a thousand times more scrutiny than the actual prestige of the uni that you attended.

If you take relevant classes and do well in them, that counts for the largest slice of the pie. So look at the classes these places offer and balance out the cost to benefit. More pricey does not mean better. In today's financial climate, you have to be careful about paying too much for your degree!

So bio-engineers have good employment chances? :-s
We don't really have bio-engineers in this country.

I really have to make sure that i get a job afterwards. or i will have to go home. So i really need a job based on my Masters.
As for having a good time. Unless people treat me like some garbage because of my origin,  :Hangman:
i will probably have fun. Girls in pants and shirts are way ahead then angry burqa covered females. I will probably be in heaven. I wonder if i could get one  :-k

CloneKai

Quote from: "Solitary"I don't know about the best colleges, but I do know a lot of employers will not accept a technical degree unless it is from a college.  :shock:   :roll:  Solitary

:shock:     You can get a degree without being in college?

Quote from: "stromboli"If you can get into Germany with your current degree and get a Master's or whatever, that is not a bad idea. Being multilingual with an Engineering degree is never going to hurt you. I don't know much about Bioengineering, but any degree in emergent technologies ultimately should pay off.

Getting in Germany might not be a problem. I already am half way through. I have been accepted in one of German universities. If i get a visa i will be there. Staying there will be a problem. I have to be employed by one of the local companies only then they will extend my stay. Then i can apply for citizenship in 4 to 5 years.

Mermaid

Quote from: "CloneKai"
Quote from: "Mermaid"I would say go for the degree that you can tolerate and do well in that will give you the most chance of getting a job that will support you. If you get a degree in Art History or something, you'll just want to get another degree in a marketable skill. Bioengineering sounds like a very very good thing to get into if it is something you feel you can be good at. Sometimes it's hard to remember that college is about career choice, not necessarily fun stuff. Sometimes you can make the two converge, but not always.

So bio-engineers have good employment chances? :-s
We don't really have bio-engineers in this country.

I really have to make sure that i get a job afterwards. or i will have to go home. So i really need a job based on my Masters.
As for having a good time. Unless people treat me like some garbage because of my origin,  :Hangman:
i will probably have fun. Girls in pants and shirts are way ahead then angry burqa covered females. I will probably be in heaven. I wonder if i could get one  :-k
This is something you need to discuss with your advisor, I don't know anything about finding work in your country. I live and work in the US. I am only speaking in general, that bio-engineering is a career that seems to be on the upswing.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "CloneKai"
Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"A) Where is the Pure Land?

A) Its somewhere between India, Afghanistan and Iran. The country became very popular after 9:11.
Where they finished off the enemy number one. :-$
'Pak' means pure.
B) Electric
C) I wish for a cool degree like Ms in bio-engineering (i am already accepted in this program). but i don't know about job opportunities for this degree in Germany. Less cool degree for me would be Ms in Electric or power engineering, but i think there are more job opportunities for these kind of things.

You know there is a reason i don't name things. :rollin:

OK here's the deal then. Electrical engineers with graduate degrees in biology are a hot commodity around here right now. The biotech companies are currently paying top dollar, and my home town of Huntsville has plenty of biotech companies. Plenty of all kinds of companies for that matter. The University of Alabama Huntsville (UAH) has a decent biology graduate program. The school is reasonably priced too.

Bottom line. Come to the US. Most of the best schools are here despite what you might hear from our neighbors across the pond. Some (unfortunately not all) of us would love to have you. Go to school, get a good job and stay. There are plenty of opportunities here in field you seem to be interested in. We could use all the intelligent immigrants we can get to help dilute the rapidly growing generations of lazy ass dumb fucks that seem to be breeding like rabbits around here right now.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.