News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Pope's magic kiss heals baby

Started by Blackleaf, November 24, 2015, 11:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

http://www.people.com/article/family-pope-francis-kiss-tumor-baby-gianna-

One family believes that the tumor that was in their baby daughter's brain miraculously shrunk significantly after receiving the Pope's kiss (and two months of chemotherapy) last September. I guess the Pope has healing powers now, like that guy who died for our sins 2000 or so years ago, whatever his name is. If only I could just touch the hem of his robe.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mr.Obvious

I can just imagine The Pope sitting out on Some front lawn with one of those wooden kissingbooths you'd see in comics. 1 dollar 1 Kiss, come and get 'em.
Can we get him to cure testicular cancer too, by The way?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

There are aspects of Catholicism that are very fundamentalist in nature: Miracles, demons, exorcism.  For such an old institution that has been embarrassed so often by science, they cling to ignorance and superstition and still glorify it.

Baruch

Used to be, European monarchs were regarded as semi-divine ... as recently as Queen Anne from 300 years ago.  The British queen was reputedly able to cure illnesses on touch too.  More modern faith healers are a democratization of this.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

TomFoolery

I wonder why they imagine it was the pope that did it, and not the chemotherapy, or the jar of applesauce she ate for breakfast one morning, or the time her dad accidentally dropped her on her head...

Furthermore, what does it mean that the pope can cure a baby of cancer but doesn't cure other people? If he's magic and can keep people from suffering but chooses not to, fuck him.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Shiranu

We Italians are an extremely superstitious people, what can I say... even immigration and a more modernized homeland didn't get it out of our system.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solomon Zorn

Wasn't that long ago, there were a whole shitload of Catholics making a big deal over a salt-stain under a highway overpass, that they thought looked like Mary. Superstition will never die.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Baruch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on November 24, 2015, 05:26:27 PM
Wasn't that long ago, there were a whole shitload of Catholics making a big deal over a salt-stain under a highway overpass, that they thought looked like Mary. Superstition will never die.

That is why they call it super-stition not ordinary-stition.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Solitary

Is there even one case of a faith healer fixing a broken leg? How about a tooth ache? Or hemorrhoid by touch?  :85:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

widdershins

That's amazing.  Imagine how healthy all his altar boys must be!
This sentence is a lie...

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: Baruch on November 24, 2015, 01:27:20 PM
  The British queen was reputedly able to cure illnesses on touch too. 

Wasn't that the disease called Scrofula - the 'King's Evil'?

Given time and half a chance, the Poop would probably 'fix' the kid's virginity too. [/cynic]

Randy Carson

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 24, 2015, 11:01:35 AM
http://www.people.com/article/family-pope-francis-kiss-tumor-baby-gianna-

One family believes that the tumor that was in their baby daughter's brain miraculously shrunk significantly after receiving the Pope's kiss (and two months of chemotherapy) last September. I guess the Pope has healing powers now, like that guy who died for our sins 2000 or so years ago, whatever his name is. If only I could just touch the hem of his robe.

Skeptics constantly ask why people are not healed (as if that somehow proves Christianity false), and then when someone appears to be healed, they reject that, too. You can't have it both ways, folks.

Does this healing surprise you?

Acts 5:14-16
14 Nevertheless, more and more men and women believed in the Lord and were added to their number. 15 As a result, people brought the sick into the streets and laid them on beds and mats so that at least Peter’s shadow might fall on some of them as he passed by. 16 Crowds gathered also from the towns around Jerusalem, bringing their sick and those tormented by impure spirits, and all of them were healed.

Acts 19:11-13
11 God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, 12 so that even handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick, and their illnesses were cured and the evil spirits left them.
Some barrels contain fish that need to be shot.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Randy Carson on November 25, 2015, 05:10:53 PM
Skeptics constantly ask why people are not healed (as if that somehow proves Christianity false), and then when someone appears to be healed, they reject that, too. You can't have it both ways, folks.

14 Nevertheless, more and more men and women believed in the Lord and were added to their number. 15 As a result, people brought the sick into the streets and laid them on beds and mats so that at least Peter’s shadow might fall on some of them as he passed by. 16 Crowds gathered also from the towns around Jerusalem, bringing their sick and those tormented by impure spirits, and all of them were healed.

11 God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, 12 so that even handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick, and their illnesses were cured and the evil spirits left them.

We're just questioning if the doctors might not have had more of a hand in this one than the hand of the divine.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Youssuf Ramadan on November 25, 2015, 03:55:04 PM
Wasn't that the disease called Scrofula - the 'King's Evil'?

Given time and half a chance, the Poop would probably 'fix' the kid's virginity too. [/cynic]

yes ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuberculous_cervical_lymphadenitis
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Randy Carson on November 25, 2015, 05:10:53 PM

Yes, a kid was healed of something he was already getting treatment for... wow, that is shocking.

An actual miracle would be if the kid was not receiving treatment because they knew he was going to die no matter what, and then was cured. It's like I flipped a coin and claimed I was divine when it landed on heads, and then just said I work in mysterious ways when it lands on tails. It's a scam.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur