News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why do you believe?

Started by goodwithoutgod, November 26, 2013, 08:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodwithoutgod

Why do you believe?

It is a much harder question than it sounds at face value, and requires some deep thought. If you base your belief on faith, which is belief without evidence, then any further conclusion drawn from the belief will at best be of questionable value. believing on the basis of insufficient evidence cannot point one towards the truth.

"no amount of belief makes something a fact" - James Randi

Every thinker has questions, why are we here, how did we get here, etc etc...big questions right? Faith doesn't answer those questions because faith is based on blind belief without supporting evidence. It is a faulty reasoning method. You cannot truly posit that "I have a personal relationship with god" because there is zero evidence of a god, and unless you are the only person in the history of mankind that has had intimate communication with the supernatural....it is a one sided conversation...you are the one coming up with the answers, not a supernatural entity. So I will ask the believers the hard introspective question again...why do you believe?

St Giordano Bruno

I do not have anywhere near such an issue with those who state "I believe in God" to those who state "there is a God". The first only makes certain people feel good about themselves and no more so than believing in Santa Claus of Easter Bunny. The latter statement is not so much of "belief" but implies "knowledge" which requires evidence to back up those claims. Belief, by definition is full of vagaries, like I often like may utter words such as "I believe my football team is going to win today", belief on that occasion was only just a word that spurred me on to barrack (or "root" in the US)  a little hard and that was all.
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

Sal1981

When people say they believe in a god, they obviously mean they have faith in a god existing.

Belief is such an ambiguous word.

Eve

Eve

[quote="Sal1981

Plu

Quote from: "Eve"
Quote from: "Sal1981"When people say they believe in a god, they obviously mean they have faith in a god existing.

Or they trust Him. They trust that He is not lying but always says the truth and always keeps His PROMISES.

We call this kind of behaviour "insanity", except when billions of people do it to a made-up entity, for some reason.

leo

Quote from: "Sal1981"When people say they believe in a god, they obviously mean they have faith in a god existing.

Or they trust Him. They trust that He is not lying but always says the truth and always keeps His PROMISES.
Were is the evidence in that ?
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

leo

Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

FrankDK

> You make an experiment. Then you will know if it was true on not because you will have facts.

OK, here's an experiment.  In Matthew 21:22, Jesus is quoted as saying, "If you believe, you will receive whatsoever you ask for in prayer."  (Just one of the verses that stuck out when I read the Bible.)

Pray that, tomorrow, when we wake up, all of the sick children in the world will be healed.  What could be more altruistic?

If you pray and it doesn't happen, then we know the Bible is false.  If you don't pray because you know it won't happen, then we know you are a liar.  And if you claim that the verse doesn't count because Jesus didn't say it to you, we know you are insane.

I'll check the news first thing tomorrow.

Frank

Solitary

Quote from: "goodwithoutgod"Why do you believe?
Why do I believe in what? it depends. Right?

Quote from: "goodwithoutgod"believing on the basis of insufficient evidence cannot point one towards the truth.
Sometimes it can. If I believe that I can walk on the wire/robe I may walk on the wire/robe. Then I believed in what was true.
But if I don't believe I will NEVER walk on the wire/robe

Quote from: "goodwithoutgod""no amount of belief makes something a fact" - James Randi
UNLESS if you do what Jesus Christ said to do.  You make an experiment. Then you will know if it was true on not because you will have facts.
First I have to believe that I can walk on the wire/robe. Then I make an experiment. I am learning to walk on the wire. Then I walk(FACT). I believed in what was true.

Every thinker has questions, why are we here, how did we get here, etc etc...big questions right? Faith doesn't answer those questions because faith is based on blind belief without supporting evidence. It is a faulty reasoning method. You cannot truly posit that "I have a personal relationship with god" because there is zero evidence of a god, and unless you are the only person in the history of mankind that has had intimate communication with the supernatural....it is a one sided conversation...you are the one coming up with the answers, not a supernatural entity. So I will ask the believers the hard introspective question again...why do you believe?
You are right. But nobody claims that faith gives answers to those questions: who am I? where did I come from? why am I here? where am I going?
Faith is trust and something that makes you to ACT.[/quote]

No it isn't. Faith is trust with divine influence that will make it so, or belief and trust in God. Trust is hope that something bad doesn't happen without a belief in a divine influence, but by statistical analysis. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

FrankDK

> They trust that He is not lying but always says the truth and always keeps His PROMISES.

In Genesis 2:17, your god is quoted as saying, "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.  Emphasis added.

But Adam didn't die that day.  He lived another 800 years.  Your god lied.

Frank

Eve

Quote from: leo[quote

mykcob4

Quote from: "goodwithoutgod"Why do you believe?
Why do I believe in what? it depends. Right?

Quote from: "goodwithoutgod"believing on the basis of insufficient evidence cannot point one towards the truth.
Sometimes it can. If I believe that I can walk on the wire/robe I may walk on the wire/robe. Then I believed in what was true.
But if I don't believe I will NEVER walk on the wire/robe

Quote from: "goodwithoutgod""no amount of belief makes something a fact" - James Randi
UNLESS if you do what Jesus Christ said to do.  You make an experiment. Then you will know if it was true on not because you will have facts.
First I have to believe that I can walk on the wire/robe. Then I make an experiment. I am learning to walk on the wire. Then I walk(FACT). I believed in what was true.

You are right. But nobody claims that faith gives answers to those questions: who am I? where did I come from? why am I here? where am I going?
Faith is trust and something that makes you to ACT.[/quote]
Again Eve you have blurted out a totaly stupid response. You have not answered the questions posed by the OP. What you did is reword the questions and ineffeciently answered the questions that YOU made up.
The question is "Why do you believe." NOT In why do you believe in what! Dumbass. It's obvious that the original question is Why do you believe in god, but you're too stupid and too dishonest to give a REAL answer. Your little tight rope scenerio is irrelivant and childish fucktard!
The OP's second statement is about YOU coming clean about actually talking to your god and about explaining faith. Faith is trust but it isn't trust based on anything, In real trust you have to have a basis for that trust. I know my mother will always act in my best interest because she always has. I can trust her.
There is no basis for trust in a god because there has never been a god. You can't trust in a god because there isn't any history of action by a god. There isn't any evidence of a god whatsoever. So essentially you are saying that you have "faith"/ trust on what people have told you or what you have been brainwashed into believing and for no other reason. It is a total lack of reason. In your case it is a total lack of maturity or sanity. I can TRUST that no matter what someone post YOUR response will be stupid and clinically insane because I have a record of you doing just that. I have faith in you Eve. Faith that you will always be dishonest, stupid, and insane.

Solitary

Eve, please explain how He made promises to you and kept them! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

mykcob4

No god ever made any promises in the first place. Some person made up the character god and then gave him diologue that was and is pure fiction, and ironically that character lies and breaks all sorts of promises in the story that they made up. Could anything be so stupid? Oh yeah, I forgot people that believe in such bullshit, the Eves of the world.