An Open Letter to the Olympic Committee

Started by SilentFutility, August 08, 2013, 10:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colanth

An excellent read, but I fear nothing at all will actually be done.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Youssuf Ramadan

I was about to post this myself.  Damn good letter from Fry.  Hopefully other prominent people here and in other countries will take up this call.  It needs to happen or the issue will most likely be swept under the carpet.

Shiranu

Interesting, but not going to achieve anything.

Though, didn't realize he is Jewish. Interesting to know.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Plu

If I didn't ignore the Olympics anyway, this would've been a good reason to boycot it. It really does need to not happen.

But of course, we all know where the money is pointing.

Shiranu

Meh, I love the Olympics either way. I'm certainly not going to boycott them, but I am annoyed that the people in power would not use the Olympics as the political tool it was meant to be.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jmpty

Yeah, remember 1980, when we boycotted the Olympics because The Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan. Then, we invaded Afghanistan.
???  ??

Jutter

I read a huffblog recently making the same comparison as Mr Fry did. In this regard the more the merrier. This is turning out to become the major human rights issue of this century.

And now for our quick update for what's out and what's in for 2014

Out: godless commies
In: orthodox gaybashing ruskies
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Jason78

Quote from: "Shiranu"Interesting, but not going to achieve anything.

Your apathetic attitude is an inspiration!

At least Mr Fry is doing something.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Shiranu

Quote from: "Jason78"

The IOC doesn't give a shit what normal people think, what they care about is the $$$.

People like Mr. Fry SHOULD do something because his, and other celebrities, words actually have some weight.

Colanth

Quote from: "Shiranu"
Quote from: "Jason78"

The IOC doesn't give a shit what normal people think, what they care about is the $$$.

People like Mr. Fry SHOULD do something because his, and other celebrities, words actually have some weight.
Not, probably, with the IOC, but they probably do with the thinking part of the public.

But it's not as if the public can boycott the IOC, or choose to take their business to a different Olympic committee.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

SilentFutility

Quote from: "Colanth"An excellent read, but I fear nothing at all will actually be done.
Especially as the Russian authorities have said that they won't be enforcing the law during the olympics, so the people who stand to make mega $$$ will likely insist that there is no longer a human rights issue.

Plu

QuoteBut it's not as if the public can boycott the IOC, or choose to take their business to a different Olympic committee.

They could collectively just not watch it.

Youssuf Ramadan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-23639593

QuoteObama opposes Sochi Russian Winter Olympics boycott

10 August 2013 Last updated at 00:44 BST

US President Barack Obama has said he would not consider it "appropriate" to boycott Russia's Winter Olympics next year.
This comes despite calls by gay rights activists to shun the Sochi games because of a recently passed Russian law banning "homosexual propaganda".
Speaking at a White House news conference, Mr Obama said the absence of gay or lesbian athletes would probably weaken the Russian team.

Cameron has said much the same thing here.  The media are only telling a partial story of what is happening in Russia too.  What a surprise!  :roll:

Plu

QuoteSpeaking at a White House news conference, Mr Obama said the absence of gay or lesbian athletes would probably weaken the Russian team.

Because winning a match is more important than human rights' issues, I guess.