News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

how loving christians are!

Started by doorknob, October 06, 2016, 11:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 13, 2016, 09:10:49 PM
Actually, I don't think literary criticism is impossible.  In fact, I enjoy it--both high and low.  Have a few books about it and there are some excellent web sites that has some great material.  But, my point that Jesus is a fiction and therefore it cannot be determined if what he is supposed to have said is accurate or not.

Of course ... no more than we can determine what MacBeth said ... and at least he is historical.  That is why literary criticism is useful, and why that is exactly what exegesis of scripture amounts to ... though I am not saying ... anyone needs any scripture at all.  My right hand is sufficient.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on October 14, 2016, 06:19:44 AM
Of course ... no more than we can determine what MacBeth said ... and at least he is historical.  That is why literary criticism is useful, and why that is exactly what exegesis of scripture amounts to ... though I am not saying ... anyone needs any scripture at all.  My right hand is sufficient.
Yeah, I use my right hand a lot, too.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

alexxmedeiros

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on October 14, 2016, 01:06:33 AM
Oh for fuck's sake! Not another "atheists can't have morals, because all morals come from God" spewing dipshit.  :wall:

Hm... nice to meet you too! So, can you tell me how you can call anything good or evil? Or can you just give me your preference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexxmedeiros

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 14, 2016, 01:36:25 AM
Humans have empathy. It's a natural behavior that social creatures like us evolved to have because it helps us to work together for a common good. That empathy is where morality comes from, not religion. In fact, secular morality is constantly morphing religious "morality" to be more socially acceptable, but the religious don't even notice it happening. If Christians were still applying Biblical principles to their lives, slavery would still be legal, women wouldn't be allowed to vote or hold public office, and the wage gap would still actually exist.

Ok so with that version of morality, can you tell me something that is absolutely evil.

Mike Cl

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 11:32:07 AM
Ok so with that version of morality, can you tell me something that is absolutely evil.

I am not Blackleaf, but, let me think..............absolutely evil............hmmmmm...............yeah--christians. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

alexxmedeiros

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 14, 2016, 11:50:41 AM
I am not Blackleaf, but, let me think..............absolutely evil............hmmmmm...............yeah--christians.

Funny. Let me ask you this way, is eating babies wrong?

Blackleaf

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 11:32:07 AM

There are no moral absolutes, but the closest thing I can think of is this: An almighty creator creates imperfect people, punishes them and their offspring for being imperfect, and creates only one escape from eternal torture: Stroking his ego while he hides himself well enough that people doubt he even exists.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

alexxmedeiros

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 14, 2016, 11:58:43 AM
There are no moral absolutes, but the closest thing I can think of is this: An almighty creator creates imperfect people, punishes them and their offspring for being imperfect, and creates only one escape from eternal torture: Stroking his ego while he hides himself well enough that people doubt he even exists.

Say what you want but the Lord of Glory will not be mocked.

So if there are no moral absolutes than what you just stated about God being evil, is not actually evil. You just hate him, just like the Bible says.

Mike Cl

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 11:58:36 AM
Funny. Let me ask you this way, is eating babies wrong?

Not on this site! :)))

Okay, I'll bite.  You are referring to human babies, I suppose.  Yeah, in my eyes, that is wrong.  All cannibalism (human kind) is wrong.  I suppose you are trying to get to the why it is wrong?  It is wrong not because some ancient text may say it is wrong, but we have come to that conclusion as a society (but I don't this this is a universal, though)  that killing or eating or mistreating babies is wrong.  Why?  Because it is harmful to our species. 

Mike Cl

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 12:00:23 PM

So if there are no moral absolutes than what you just stated about God being evil, is not actually evil. You just hate him, just like the Bible says.

I'll not speak for Blackleaf (he is very capable of doing that), but I will mock the shit out of your fucking, cruel, stupid, inept god.  I will mock him in the valley, I will mock him from on high, I will mock him here, I will mock him there, I will mock him everywhere!!!!  Fuck your god!!!  Okay, since according to you I cannot do that, how is it that I just did?????

And yes, as much as I can hate a fiction, I hate your god, for he is about the only thing I can think of that is absolutely evil. 

Blackleaf

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 12:00:23 PM

He just was.

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 12:00:23 PMSo if there are no moral absolutes than what you just stated about God being evil, is not actually evil. You just hate him, just like the Bible says.

I'm sure you think you're being smart, but your arguments are nothing new, and are easily refuted. If you're wondering why people won't take you seriously, that's why.

There is no absolute morality. This is why conversation and careful contemplation are necessary. There are some things which are a clear black and white, but there are many shades of gray in between. The Christian God is midnight black, and more evil in my eyes than any human could ever be.
--Fulke Greville--

alexxmedeiros

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 14, 2016, 12:10:52 PM
He just was.

I'm sure you think you're being smart, but your arguments are nothing new, and are easily refuted. If you're wondering why people won't take you seriously, that's why.

There is no absolute morality. This is why conversation and careful contemplation are necessary. There are some things which are a clear black and white, but there are many shades of gray in between. The Christian God is midnight black, and more evil in my eyes than any human could ever be.

You can't call anything evil... you haven't demonstrated that you have a reason to at all.

You can only give me your preference! If a man rapes and kills an innocent woman, why is that wrong?

alexxmedeiros

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 14, 2016, 12:06:39 PM
I'll not speak for Blackleaf (he is very capable of doing that), but I will mock the shit out of your fucking, cruel, stupid, inept god.  I will mock him in the valley, I will mock him from on high, I will mock him here, I will mock him there, I will mock him everywhere!!!!  Fuck your god!!!  Okay, since according to you I cannot do that, how is it that I just did?????

And yes, as much as I can hate a fiction, I hate your god, for he is about the only thing I can think of that is absolutely evil.

You have no basis to call anything absolute nor evil.

Blackleaf

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 12:15:02 PM
You can't call anything evil... you haven't demonstrated that you have a reason to at all.

You can only give me your preference! If a man rapes and kills an innocent woman, why is that wrong?

Obviously, it's because Sky Daddy said so. If Sky Daddy said that rape and murder were a good things, then we'd have no basis to contradict him, right?
--Fulke Greville--

alexxmedeiros

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 14, 2016, 12:18:03 PM
Obviously, it's because Sky Daddy said so. If Sky Daddy said that rape and murder were a good things, then we'd have no basis to contradict him, right?

Again you have failed to give an actual reason that you can call something evil. Why is anything evil???

Morality isn't some arbitraty law, it's a reflection of Gods character.

It's not wrong to commit adultery because it hurts other people and destroys families (which it does) adultery is wrong because God is completely faithful.