News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Oh the Irony.............

Started by Brian37, April 06, 2016, 09:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

Christians rightfully siding with Dawkins, we agree, ISIS is basing their violence on their holy books. But lets forget about the history of Christianity, and it's justifications for slavery, genocide of Native Americans, sexism against women and condemnation of gays. No, see when they are dicks they are doing it for the correct god.

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/ev.../83236.htm

All holy books and holy writings are divisive. There are the empathetic left who uses them to justify kindness, and there is the violent right who picks out different words and calls it "self defense of the religion". But they all do it.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Jack89

What I think is important to point out is that all of the countries in the west, places where there is the most freedom for women, gays, religious diversity, etc., either are, or were in the very recent past, Christian countries.  The countries that call for the oppression or even death of these same groups are predominantly Muslim. 

That could change very easily in the near future.  Many Central/Eastern European countries are becoming decidedly pro Christian and nationalistic in response to increasing violence of Islam in the west, and the terror attack in Pakistan just fueled the fire. 

Mike Cl

Quote from: Jack89 on April 06, 2016, 10:45:14 AM
What I think is important to point out is that all of the countries in the west, places where there is the most freedom for women, gays, religious diversity, etc., either are, or were in the very recent past, Christian countries.  The countries that call for the oppression or even death of these same groups are predominantly Muslim. 

That could change very easily in the near future.  Many Central/Eastern European countries are becoming decidedly pro Christian and nationalistic in response to increasing violence of Islam in the west, and the terror attack in Pakistan just fueled the fire.
Desperate to make the zians the good guys, eh!?  Good luck with that. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Jack89

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 06, 2016, 01:15:04 PM
Desperate to make the zians the good guys, eh!?  Good luck with that. 
Between Christianity and Islam?  Of course. 

Mike Cl

Quote from: Jack89 on April 06, 2016, 03:12:35 PM
Between Christianity and Islam?  Of course.
:)))  That's like calling the local gang 'better' than the mafia.  Both suck big time and neither are 'good'.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Jack89 on April 06, 2016, 03:12:35 PMBetween Christianity and Islam?  Of course.
Compared to the Taliban and Al Qaeda and Daesh, practically anyone looks like a saint.

QuoteWhat I think is important to point out is that all of the countries in the west, places where there is the most freedom for women, gays, religious diversity, etc., either are, or were in the very recent past, Christian countries.  The countries that call for the oppression or even death of these same groups are predominantly Muslim. 
This is broadly true, though it noticeably omits predominately non-Christian countries with Western values, like Japan (<1% Christian) and South Korea (29% Christian) as well as Christian countries noticeably lacking in freedom (like Russia).

Imho, this conflict is not Islam VS Christianity but extremist, theocratic ideology VS Western, secular values.  And in regards to our fellows who would like nothing more than to don their jackboots and brownshirts and fight fire with fire, let us remember the struggles our countries went through to secure our relatively free and tolerant existence.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Jack89 on April 06, 2016, 10:45:14 AM
May your religion acquire many converts.

Jack89

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 06, 2016, 03:18:25 PM
:)))  That's like calling the local gang 'better' than the mafia.  Both suck big time and neither are 'good'.
There is of course bias on my part, but if you look at the degree of coercion Islamic culture uses to control and maintain it's members, there is no contest.  Sure, Christians can be mentally and emotionally abusive in this regard at times, but they don't typically call for a death sentence if you leave the church.  Christianity is more voluntary than Islam, and more tolerant of other religions, and the non-religious for that matter.  I'm guessing that's why the west is more secular nowadays than the middle east.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Jack89 on April 07, 2016, 10:35:47 AM
There is of course bias on my part, but if you look at the degree of coercion Islamic culture uses to control and maintain it's members, there is no contest.  Sure, Christians can be mentally and emotionally abusive in this regard at times, but they don't typically call for a death sentence if you leave the church.  Christianity is more voluntary than Islam, and more tolerant of other religions, and the non-religious for that matter.  I'm guessing that's why the west is more secular nowadays than the middle east.
Well, Jack, it seems you are sort of clutching at straws here.  Your religion is bad--the the guy's religion over there is badder--much, much badder--so bad, in fact, that my religion has now turned 'good'!  Nope, don't think so.  Christianity is still destructive--and it matters not if Islam is more destructive or not.  All religions are destructive--it is just a matter of degree.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Jack89 on April 07, 2016, 10:35:47 AMbut they don't typically call for a death sentence if you leave the church.
Anymore.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Quote from: Jack89 on April 07, 2016, 10:35:47 AM

We aren't more secular because we are more Christian, we are more secular because we are less Christian (or anything else).  The Christians would kill you if they could.  They are just biding their time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on April 07, 2016, 01:10:33 PM
We aren't more secular because we are more Christian, we are more secular because we are less Christian (or anything else).  The Christians would kill you if they could.  They are just biding their time.
QuoteChristians around the country are preparing for war. Our churches are stockpiling weapons, and we are going forth with the might of the Lord. We have been preparing while the sodomites and sinners have been focusing on themselves. They have tried taking over our country, but when we strike, we will strike hard. We are the ones with the guns. We are the ones with the power and might. We are the majority! The constitution and courts have betrayed us, but we will take over and set the Bible as law for our Christian land. The Bible states that America must be a Christian nation once again for the Lord to come in Rapture. So hide now, but we know and the Lord knows your shadows. And remember - we have the backing of a Christian president who will lead us. Your liberal ways will end. The alarm is about to ring. Come to Christ now or perish!
AOL post, author unknown
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman