News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide

Started by viocjit, July 05, 2019, 03:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Basic human right. Actualy, suicide is basic human right. You don't need to be sick and dying in pain.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cavebear

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 20, 2019, 06:49:09 PM
Basic human right. Actualy, suicide is basic human right. You don't need to be sick and dying in pain.

Its my life; I should be able to check out anytime I decide...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

:-P
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 20, 2019, 07:03:20 PM

Ah, The Hotel Beach Boys (private joke)...

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Cavebear on July 20, 2019, 06:56:59 PM
Its my life; I should be able to check out anytime I decide...

Yes, exactly.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 20, 2019, 06:23:48 PM
Maybe because hi ISN'T one?

Yes he is, but so cuck it is hard to tell.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 20, 2019, 07:03:20 PM

Like leaving the EU.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

viocjit

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 20, 2019, 06:49:09 PM

I don't know what is the situation where you live because I don't know where you live but in my country (France) it is not considered as a basic human right.
You can be legally being committed in a psychiatric facility if you try to suicide yourself in France or if you say you want to suicide yourself.
If you try to suicide yourself you will be considered as a person in "Péril imminent" (Imminent danger) and people in "Péril imminent" can be involuntary committed.

For those who can read French I advise them to read articles L3211-1 to L3251-6 and R3211-1 to R3225-1 of "Code de la santé publique" (Public Health Code) to know the basis about involuntary commitment in France.

Baruch

Quote from: viocjit on July 21, 2019, 08:00:12 PM
I don't know what is the situation where you live because I don't know where you live but in my country (France) it is not considered as a basic human right.
You can be legally being committed in a psychiatric facility if you try to suicide yourself in France or if you say you want to suicide yourself.
If you try to suicide yourself you will be considered as a person in "Péril imminent" (Imminent danger) and people in "Péril imminent" can be involuntary committed.

For those who can read French I advise them to read articles L3211-1 to L3251-6 and R3211-1 to R3225-1 of "Code de la santé publique" (Public Health Code) to know the basis about involuntary commitment in France.

It is not legal in the US.  Isn't it legal in the Netherlands?

The logic, some people who commit suicide like to engage in behavior that endangers others, let alone the usual murder/suicide of a spouse.  So like drug use, it is a marginally sociopathic activity.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: viocjit on July 21, 2019, 08:00:12 PM

I did not know that and wouldn't have guessed France would decide that way.  Thank you for the explanation.   I learn new things every day here.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 22, 2019, 03:51:46 AM
It is not legal in the US.  Isn't it legal in the Netherlands?

The logic, some people who commit suicide like to engage in behavior that endangers others, let alone the usual murder/suicide of a spouse.  So like drug use, it is a marginally sociopathic activity.
Actually it is legal in at least one state--Oregon.  Two doctors have to agree, and then it can be done legally.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 01, 2019, 09:07:53 AM
Actually it is legal in at least one state--Oregon.  Two doctors have to agree, and then it can be done legally.

I still think that is something I should be in control of.  Why does my State think it owns me?  What part of my decision of my existence is properly controlled by anyone else?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on August 01, 2019, 10:17:21 AM
I still think that is something I should be in control of.  Why does my State think it owns me?  What part of my decision of my existence is properly controlled by anyone else?
I do agree with you on that.  But, at this time, 9 states allow assisted suicide.  That is a step forward.  There is a process attached to it by the state, but at least it is legal. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Minimalist

Quote from: Baruch on July 20, 2019, 05:10:55 PM
Justin Trudeau.  Worst dictator ever.

I'll trade them the Orange Turdfuhrer for Trudeau in a heartbeat.  I'll even throw in a future draft pick!
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 01, 2019, 11:21:27 AM
I do agree with you on that.  But, at this time, 9 states allow assisted suicide.  That is a step forward.  There is a process attached to it by the state, but at least it is legal.

Nine is good.  50 better.  Worldwide best.  This is why I consider myself "progressive".  There are ideas that slowly advance by increments.  I want those kinds of ideas to advance.