Has the War Against AI Already Been Lost?

Started by Shiranu, February 13, 2023, 05:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Well, that certainly was a question.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Catholic AI "priest" defrocked

QuoteArtificial intelligence shook up a corner of the Catholic community after Catholic Answers—a San Diego, Calif.-based publisher of church resources—introduced "Father Justin," an AI chatbot on Monday. The virtual priest was defrocked by the end of the week, but its creators will still allow the chatbot to operate as simply "Justin."

QuoteOther users shared examples of Father Justin's priestly counsel, including telling one user they can use Gatorade instead of holy water in a baptism and explaining how a brother and sister can prepare for marriage to each other. Father Justin also accepted a user's confession and then told her all of her sins had been absolved.
I mean, is that really so different?  On the plus side, at least there's no rap sheet.

Among the many missteps is just the presentation of what is essentially a chat bot as a sort of digital priest, but without any of the - dare I say it? - soul of a human being.  I don't think anyone would object to a chat bot presented to them as a chat bot.  Humanizing this thing was a big mistake.

QuoteIn a separate speech in December, Francis called for the ethical development of artificial intelligence to serve humanity and promote peace.
I broadly agree with him there.  Check out the full speech, it's pretty good.

Unbeliever

If AIs can be priests, who needs human priests!? 😇
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

the_antithesis

Maybe get robot monks like from Dirk Gently that do all that pesky believing for you.