Humans Only A Rung On The Ladder Of Evolution

Started by stromboli, July 21, 2014, 05:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://singularityhub.com/2014/07/20/humans-arent-the-pinnacle-of-evolution-and-consciousness-were-only-the-beginning/

QuoteIn his latest video, host of National Geographic’s Brain Games and techno-poet, Jason Silva, explores the universe’s tendency to self-organize. Biology, he says, seems to have agency and directionality toward greater complexity, and humans are the peak.

“It’s like human beings seem to be the cutting edge,” Silva says. “The evolutionary pinnacle of self-awareness becoming aware of its becoming.”

I know Silva isn’t saying evolution ends with humans in our current form. He thinks technology is driving evolution at an accelerating pace. And indeed, the video’s opening quote from Kevin Kelly is far from human-centric, “The arc of complexity and open-ended creation in the last four billion years is nothing compared to what lies ahead.”

But the line about humans being the “evolutionary pinnacle” reminded me of a trap we’ve fallen into time and againâ€"the temptation to place ourselves at the center of all things. We once believed the cosmos revolved around the Earth. Now, we know the Earth is a vanishingly tiny fragment of metal and rock revolving around an average yellow star.

The solar system is neither unique nor centrally located in the galaxy. We’re on the outskirts of the Milky Wayâ€"one of hundreds of billions of galaxies.

If we now know our place in space isn’t at all special, the same may be said of our place in time and on the evolutionary ladder. Humans are perhaps the first rung to develop consciousness (on Earth), but by no means will the process end with us.

In a recent interview, Cambridge’s Martin Rees put human evolution in context as only a cosmologist can. Rees says most of us are probably aware that humans are the result of four billion years of evolutionâ€"but we tend to think we’re the apex of the process.

Most folks have little notion of what he calls the “far future.” Astronomers, on the other hand, know that the sun is middle-aged and that the Earth has at least as much life ahead of it as it has behind. The universe itself may have an infinite future. We’re perhaps only halfway (or less) “in the emergence of ever greater complexity.”

“Any creatures who will be alive to witness the death of the sun won’t be humanâ€"they could be as different from us as we are from protozoa. Indeed future evolution is going to take place not on the Darwinian time scale, of natural selection, but on the technology time scale, because we’re obtaining the capacity to modify the genome.”

Add accelerating evolutionary processes to cosmological deep time, and a future when intelligence has evolved beyond humans, indeed, a future far surpassing even our wildest guesses becomes an inevitabilityâ€"if our descendants can make it that far.

I posted this because it is very much in keeping with my own philosophy. Regardless of how random the biological forces of evolution are, they nonetheless select for improvement and advantage as a survival trait. It makes all kinds of sense to me that our own technological progress, especially as applied to human adaptation, has contributed to it.

Given the free rein of intellect and science, our many-times-great-grand-children could well be immortal interplanetary beings capable of building worlds of their own; become the gods that humanity now so primitively worships. Understanding the bases of those natural forces and aiding and abetting them in a positive way can accelerate us past all of our weaknesses and our shortcomings, to a bright and unimaginable future.

And it is why I am so frustrated by the narrow, ideocentric minds that try so hard to hold us to antiquated dogmas and beliefs that keep us in the ignorance of past centuries and bigoted, biased and useless cultures that should have died out centuries ago.

Gawdzilla Sama

I hope we get to pass that consciousness along.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Green Bottle

Interesting thread Stromboli, but deep............. :popcorn:
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

stromboli

Think of where we would be without the idiocy of religion holding us back. That really makes me sad.

Green Bottle

Im trying to imagine what the world would be like without religion,no god or allah no  pope or mohammed , i hope it would be a better world with less war and conflict and death but who can say cos we just dont know.
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

SGOS

If I understand this right (and I probably don't) technology advances evolution?  I'm not sure I buy that.  Evolution does it's own thing, and I don't think man has any control over that.  Perhaps technology changes the environment which may require new species to evolve to cope with said environment.  Man has no real ability to grab the evolutionary "bull" by the horns and direct it's outcome.  Evolution will take its own direction and come up with living things that can survive.  Those living things may or may not have consciousness.  I tend to think we are overly impressed with our consciousness.  At least more impressed with it than evolution is.  It's part of the ego centric apex belief noted in the article.

Or so I surmise.

Moralnihilist

Quote from: SGOS on July 21, 2014, 08:14:46 PM
If I understand this right (and I probably don't) technology advances evolution?  I'm not sure I buy that.  Evolution does it's own thing, and I don't think man has any control over that.  Perhaps technology changes the environment which may require new species to evolve to cope with said environment.  Man has no real ability to grab the evolutionary "bull" by the horns and direct it's outcome.  Evolution will take its own direction and come up with living things that can survive.  Those living things may or may not have consciousness.  I tend to think we are overly impressed with our consciousness.  At least more impressed with it than evolution is.  It's part of the ego centric apex belief noted in the article.

Or so I surmise.

I don't know, prior to the new information age, people used to be in shape and knew how to take care of themselves. Now in the post information age, it seems that fat and stupid are a evolutionary advantage.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

SGOS

Quote from: Moralnihilist on July 21, 2014, 08:24:27 PM
I don't know, prior to the new information age, people used to be in shape and knew how to take care of themselves. Now in the post information age, it seems that fat and stupid are a evolutionary advantage.
:biggrin:

Solitary

:wtff: We are the peak? Only a person that doesn't understand how evolution works would say something so stupid. There is no direction for evolution, and fact that there have been so many species that have gone extinct in the past show this is not so. Our intelligence has enabled us to dominate other species does not make us the pinnacle of evolution, it just shows how ruthless we are---the cockroaches will be here way after we are gone.  :wall: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on July 21, 2014, 05:39:56 PMGiven the free rein of intellect and science, our many-times-great-grand-children could well be immortal interplanetary beings capable of building worlds of their own; become the gods that humanity now so primitively worships.
Roger Zelazny, Creatures of Light and Darkness.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers