God Put Contradictions In Bible To Weed Out Atheists

Started by stromboli, December 31, 2015, 03:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/creationism-evangelist-god-put-contradictions-in-the-bible-to-weed-out-the-atheists/

QuoteYoung Earth creationism evangelist Kent Hovind asserted this week that God had purposefully put contradictions in the Bible to “weed out” non-believers.

In a YouTube video posted on Monday, the Christian fundamentalist responds to a follower who is troubled by a contradiction in the book of Acts.

“If I was God,” Hovind explains, “I would write the book in such a way that those who don’t want to believe in me anyway would think they found something. ‘Aha, here’s why I don’t believe.'”

“And then they could go on with their own life because they don’t want to believe God anyways,” he continues. “I would put things in there that would appear without digging to be contradictions. I don’t think that’s deceptive, I think that’s wise for the Heavenly Father to weed out those who are really serious.”

Hovind says that he made a choice to “believe the Bible until it’s proven wrong.”

“I know others who have decided, ‘I’m not going to believe it until you prove everything is right,'” he notes. “Okay, you do whatever you want to do, but I made the opposite decision.”

That is some impeccable logic right there.

Unbeliever

"People don't mind being mean; but they never want to be ridiculous."
Moliere

Apparently, Moliere never dreamed of someone like Hovind.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

So... The perfect God in His wisdom, created a perfect book with purposeful errors in it to make it less believable? I guess God is too smart to make a book with no errors at all so that no one would have anything to use against it. That's brilliant.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

God wants people to believe in him and not believe in him.  Makes sense.

Hijiri Byakuren

I guess Hovind is still butthurt about losing a debate to Bill Nye on a global stream.

Edit: Kent Hovind =/= Ken Ham.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

aitm

well, it worked for me…see? god must be brilliant.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on December 31, 2015, 05:05:26 PM
I guess Hovind is still butthurt about losing a debate to Bill Nye on a global stream.

That was him? I'm glad I never watched that so-called debate.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 31, 2015, 06:55:53 PM
That was him? I'm glad I never watched that so-called debate.
Er wait, no, I'm thinking of Ken Ham.

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

stromboli

Baruch

Quote from: stromboli on December 31, 2015, 07:44:33 PM

Need to get on the same page there, Mr. Hovind

IMHO .. the writer of 2 Peter was referring to "speaking in tongues" as related in the Pentacoste event of Acts, and in the Didache.  It can also refer to the kind of automatic speech/oracular speech of people like Muhammad.  Basically you become your own audio Ouija board.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 31, 2015, 04:50:04 PM
God wants people to believe in him and not believe in him.  Makes sense.

A G-d powerful enough to make truth and falsehood, consistency and inconsistency .. would do just that.  Contingent potentiality ... as I metaphysically presume G-d to be active from, takes no sides.

The quote by the OP ... is a classic exercise in theology aka nonsense.  Nonexistence and nonsense ... don't work with people, who do exist and are sensible.  So if someone asked me, "Does G-d exist?" ... I would reply "Of course not!" ... but they would misunderstand my response.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

Quote“I would put things in there that would appear without digging to be contradictions. I don’t think that’s deceptive, I think that’s wise for the Heavenly Father to weed out those who are really serious.”

Hovind says that he made a choice to “believe the Bible until it’s proven wrong.”

“I know others who have decided, ‘I’m not going to believe it until you prove everything is right,'” he notes. “Okay, you do whatever you want to do, but I made the opposite decision.”
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Nonsensei

And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Gawdzilla Sama

“And then they could go on with their own life because they don’t want to believe God anyways,” he continues.

First: God would be cunt to do that.

Second: Kent demonstrates that the contradictions aren't necessary for atheists to not believe, leaving the believers to get all fucked up about them.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers