News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Dr. Oz: Televangelist

Started by Blackleaf, January 26, 2016, 03:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

I had this epiphany a few days ago, and I wonder what you guys think of it. I'm sure most, if not everyone, here is familiar with Dr. Oz, the controversial celebrity doctor who suggests natural alternatives to medicine. Dr. Oz often prescribes dietary supplements, using words like "miracle flower" or "lightning in a bottle" to describe their amazing health benefits. However, when Dr. Oz was called out for his marketing practices, he himself said, "I recognize that often times they don't have the scientific muster to present as fact..." In other words, bringing shame to people of his educational background, he has neglected the scientific method, resorting to the marketing of products with no scientific evidence to back up their safety or effectiveness.

Also, notice these words that he uses to justify himself for recommending the supplements on his show: "I actually do personally believe in the items I talk about in the show." He "believes." In other words, he has faith in the products, despite the lack of evidence to support them. Who else, with powerful influence on TV, abuse their power, casting away scientific knowledge for the sake of miracles? Televangelists. That's essentially what Dr. Oz and those like him (for example, Dr. Becker from the show "Your Health"), televangelists, trying to convince people to spend their money ("sow their seed") for miraculous healing for all of their health problems.

Both use personal accounts, rather than scientific experimentation, as evidence. And people who buy into both are influenced by the placebo affect, receiving the results they expect because they were expecting it. Both also try to discredit their competition with misinformation and strawman arguments. Dr. Becker is especially notorious for doing this. In one episode, he was talking about one drug, and the experiments that were performed on rats. He said that "just because they work on rats doesn't mean they work on humans." There's no way a medical doctor could be so stupid. Anyone who knows anything about research knows that you have to minimize the risk of human participants. One way that is done is by animal research, testing the safety and effectiveness of the drug on them before moving on to human trials.

I really do think that people like Dr. Oz should lose their licences for misleading people like they do. It's irresponsible of them to use methods that are not scientifically proven to be safe and effective. In my opinion, they're just as bad as the people who ask vulnerable people to send them money instead of seek medical treatment.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

TomFoolery

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 26, 2016, 03:53:39 PM
There's no way a medical doctor could be so stupid.

Money does weird things to people.

I remember when he first started getting big after Oprah I googled him thinking something along the lines of, "What Caribbean clown college did this guy go to?..." The answer(s) is Harvard and UPenn. ¯\_(ãƒ,,)_/¯ Also proof an Ivy League education and multiple degrees does not a genius make.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

GSOgymrat

Dr. Oz is just one face of the pervasive problem of unsupported or questionable health claims related to various diets and supplements. It's one of my pet peeves.

https://youtu.be/29v6rNFjlLI?list=PLZxWJ6CTr63Z4OYR3gdMEEog5Zju5ihyu

TomFoolery

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 26, 2016, 04:16:42 PM
Dr. Oz is just one face of the pervasive problem of unsupported or questionable health claims from various diets and supplements. It's one of my pet peeves.

Agreed. Vitamins are expensive pee. We are a country where we freak out and tell teenage girls they shouldn't be able to buy birth control over the counter because it's "too dangerous" but they can buy and consume any combination of supplements and herbs that aren't even tested by the FDA and that's cool... or something.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Blackleaf

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 26, 2016, 04:16:42 PM
Dr. Oz is just one face of the pervasive problem of unsupported or questionable health claims related to various diets and supplements. It's one of my pet peeves.

https://youtu.be/29v6rNFjlLI?list=PLZxWJ6CTr63Z4OYR3gdMEEog5Zju5ihyu

Even in Psychology, which is a softer form of science than medicine, councilors know to avoid using any techniques which are not supported by real science. Evidence-based practice is essential. Whether you're prescribing medicine or coping techniques, it is downright irresponsible to just go with things you just personally believe will work.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

aitm

Proof once again that if you give someone a podium, by god, they start telling you what they really believe, OR, start trying to make some money…..oh yah!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Things meant to mislead ... are hard to prove in a court of law.  But definitely, deceit isn't merited.  If some doctors want to stop being whores for Big Pharma ... I can see the allure.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.