Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 04, 2019, 11:06:38 PM
I have a theory - a film theory - that almost everything that happens in the movie Kick-Ass is not a true account of events, but the titular character's delusional fantasies and hallucinations.

What really happened:  Dave bought a ski suit, tried to stop grand theft auto, got stabbed and went into a coma.

In the hospital, he imagines he stumbled across three guys beating up a defenseless guy and fought them off, which then went viral and got hundreds of friend requests.  None of that really happened.  After Dave gets out of the hospital, he imagines various people in his daily life (mostly from school or the comics shop) as thugs, superheroes, supervillains, etc.  He came up with Red Mist when Chris D'Amico was checking out a Spider-Man comic (specifically, issue 66) and the red glare from a stoplight was on the comic.

Dave is physically on the mend but mentally unwell, slipping into and out of heroic fantasy as a form of escapism and as a way to avoid coming to terms with the fact that he utterly failed as a superhero.  Hit Girl and Big Daddy are 100% wish fulfillment for him.

Never having seen the movie...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 06, 2019, 11:09:29 PM
Thank you for the link.  I suspect most of it is true.
Richard Rhodes, The Making of the Atomic Bomb
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on September 07, 2019, 12:28:16 AM
Never having seen the movie...
If you like the superhero genre at all, you absolutely have to see it.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 07, 2019, 07:00:59 AM

Looked it up.  What part of it is "superhero"?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 07, 2019, 07:00:59 AM
I enjoy the genre, watching "Justice League" right now. "Kick-ass", five minutes.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 07, 2019, 07:20:28 AM
I enjoy the genre, watching "Justice League" right now. "Kick-ass", five minutes.

Glad you are enjoying that movie and I have to admit Hollywood does well with even DC characters (loved the movie Green Lantern who was really one of the lamest characters ever created in comicdom).  And in fairness, Ant Man had to be the lamest character Marvel ever created...

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on September 07, 2019, 07:27:52 AM
Ant Man had to be the lamest character Marvel ever created...
Maybe as a concept.  The same for Guardians of the Galaxy.  But what Marvel created from those concepts, as lame as they might be, was wonderful fantasy.  It's all about the execution.  If someone described the basic premise of the Hobbit, could you visualize it as a masterpiece that would capture the imagination of adults?

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on September 07, 2019, 07:43:55 AM
Maybe as a concept.  The same for Guardians of the Galaxy.  But what Marvel created from those concepts, as lame as they might be, was wonderful fantasy.  It's all about the execution.  If someone described the basic premise of the Hobbit, could you visualize it as a masterpiece that would capture the imagination of adults?

I don't like Guardians of the Galaxy.  The entire team just doesn't fit together.  If I never hear "I am am Groot" again, I will be pleased.  Groot is Jar Jar Binks Stupid squared.

On the other hand, I immediately understood the idea of a Hobbit.  And, speaking of Groot, of Ents.

Gawdzilla Sama

The Guardians are a crowd of dysfunctional people who are a rolling trainwreck. Fun to watch.
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 07, 2019, 08:10:05 AM
The Guardians are a crowd of dysfunctional people who are a rolling trainwreck. Fun to watch.

and thats what makes it so good. a group of misfits and outlaws coming together in a team and playing off each other.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 07, 2019, 07:57:58 AM
I don't like Guardians of the Galaxy.  The entire team just doesn't fit together.  If I never hear "I am am Groot" again, I will be pleased.  Groot is Jar Jar Binks Stupid squared.

On the other hand, I immediately understood the idea of a Hobbit.  And, speaking of Groot, of Ents.

Proof you are twisted.  Chubby Checkers much?  I have only seen the clips of these movies, but very funny indeed.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on September 07, 2019, 11:01:06 AM
and thats what makes it so good. a group of misfits and outlaws coming together in a team and playing off each other.

Better than The Suicide Squad?  I think so, The Suicide Squad takes itself too seriously IMHO.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on September 07, 2019, 11:01:06 AM
Yep, and Thor, now that he's captain ( ;) ), should have some fun with them. But this will be his swan song, I hear.
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on September 07, 2019, 11:16:44 AM
Better than The Suicide Squad?  I think so, The Suicide Squad takes itself too seriously IMHO.

Suicide Squad has a buttload of issues. Taking itself seriously is the least of its problems.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

I liked Suicide Squad. But it wasn't good. I liked Harley Quinn. I think she could be my fave female villain. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp