News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Thoughts on Bronies

Started by Munch, October 24, 2014, 02:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

Thanks =), Dashie is awesome (Read it with a RD voice) definitely my favorite with Twilight in second.  I do like how the characters play off one another, but I get a bit annoyed with Pinkie pie's character at times, especially when they do one of those blocks when there's about four episodes with one character featuring majorly.

I like em all, but Dashie takes the cake.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

Haha!  Me too!  Rainbow then Twi as well!  Then Applejack and Pinkie, with Fluttershy and Rarity a distant 5th and 6th.

The funny thing is Fluttershy is tremendously popular, even going so far as winning a certain infamous contest, but her overly meek, demure nature (which bizarrely, flips to super aggressive or downright bullying in certain episodes) doesn't appeal to me at all.  Twilight the knowledgeable bookworm and Rainbow Dash the driven athlete and courageous badass are much more appealing to me.

GrinningYMIR

For me it's rainbow dash, twilight, Fluttershy, applejack, rarity, pinkie, though I like all of
Them.

I like Fluttershy, I think she's cute and all, plus the music th the fans created made me like her more.

I also like scootaloo, she's  adorable 
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

aitm

Tis a strange, strange world we live in
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: aitm on November 07, 2014, 03:29:24 PM
Tis a strange, strange world we live in
...and showing no sign of letting up..
You're aware now that since we're not really into the little girl cartoon thing we must be full blown homophobic right wing red meat eating, fox news watching, woman hating, ultra conservative fundies.. Did I mention our love for Ronald Reagan and Hitler? :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

aitm

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 07, 2014, 08:12:45 PM
...and showing no sign of letting up..
You're aware now that since we're not really into the little girl cartoon thing we must be full blown homophobic right wing red meat eating, fox news watching, woman hating, ultra conservative fundies.. Did I mention our love for Ronald Reagan and Hitler? :lol:

Ces la  vie......or however it is spelled my friend.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

GrinningYMIR

so is it worth watching EG, or should I just skip it?

Zutara

To each their own. If you want to follow along with a group of grown adult men and worship a children's show please do so without interfering with my life.

That aside, the fandom makes for some great pr0n.  :mrgreen:
"The Emperor... wants to conquer outer space. Yoda... wants to explore inner space, and that is the fundamental difference between the good and the bad side of the force." - Moff (Human Traffic)

"Sleep is for the weak." - Tom (Toonami)

Hydra009

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on November 08, 2014, 06:27:34 PMso is it worth watching EG, or should I just skip it?
Good question.  Personally, I don't like the general concept.

The ponies have been portrayed as humans in fanart a lot over the years, and some of 'em really nail itThe EG character models, on the other hand, have these bizarre Bratz proportions (their legs are freakishly long with giant heads paired with tiny torsos and hands) and they all have those 1950s poodle skirts (even rainbow dash and applejack, the two tomboys least likely to wear skirts) and absolutely enormous boots (space marines don't even have boots that big!).  And on top of all of that, the EQ humanized ponies unnecessarily retain the colors of the originals, so the viewers are treated with people with purple, yellow, and pink skin.  TL;DR - the show goes uncanny valley.

And the setting isn't some magical world, it's high school.  Normal, boring high school.  So yeah...

And oh God, the shipping!  Yeah, Twilight gets a love interest in this one, which is really strange because she hasn't show any interest in that sort of thing up until now at all and it comes out of freakin' nowhere.  Plus the fact that she's actually a pony in human form and he's 100% human raises some pretty disturbing questions...

But out of a sort of morbid curiosity, I did watch both of them.  The first one was pretty much all character establishment rather than character development.  You won't find out anything new about the mane six, but you will see them behave in their characteristic ways - Dash says awesome a lot, pinkie breaks the fourth wall, etc.  The plot was okay, but problems came up and were resolved so quickly that there wasn't really much in the way of conflict.  There were some funny moments, but it was mostly just a chore to get through.  The second one - Rainbow Rocks - was better in just about every way, with some pretty catchy songs (Let's have a battle!) but it's still kinda meh.  (And don't tell the normals, but the humanized mane six can grow cat? ears, so we're officially getting into furry territory!)

But don't let me scare you away from the show, give it a shot and see what you think.

GrinningYMIR

I ended up skipping I, though I probably should have watched it between 3 and 4, 3 also seemed oddly rushed to me, I mean I liked it just as much as the rest, but the storyline feels, rushed, like the writers struck or something.

All and all though I like Season four so far, I think season 2 was my favorite, it had good story as well as decent filler episodes, will definitely watch the first two seasons again soon.

Also starting to recognize more of the fan stuff, like how Cheerilee and Big Mac seem to be together more often and she blushes at him and such, shipping galore.

Hydra009

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on November 09, 2014, 01:51:00 PMAll and all though I like Season four so far, I think season 2 was my favorite, it had good story as well as decent filler episodes, will definitely watch the first two seasons again soon.
Two is my favorite as well.  The Discord two-parter was one hell of season opener and (finally!) a full episode about Luna was an absolute joy.  The wedding was a lot more interesting than I thought it'd be, too.  The fans even came up with a suitably dark alternate ending.

I think season 4 was pretty good, too.  While it did have a lot of forgettable episodes, it did have Daring Doo.  And that episode where the gang explores the castle ruins.  Bats!  Cadence and Twilight fight a plant wurm (Shai-Hulud).  Weird Al vs Pinkie.  A Leap of Faith also gives a welcome lesson about skepticism and not giving a pass to "reassuring" faith that would not be lost on our fellow AFers.  And finally, there was a two-parter conflict that gave us an absolutely amazing fight scene that wouldn't have looked out of place on an episode of DBZ.

Bring on season 5!

QuoteAlso starting to recognize more of the fan stuff, like how Cheerilee and Big Mac seem to be together more often and she blushes at him and such, shipping galore.
Scootaloo:  "Awww, come on!"  heh.  That was great.

If you don't already know, TV tropes gives excellent recaps on every episode and they unerringly point out the fandom shout-outs and adult humor that tends to pass under the radar.

GrinningYMIR

Has season 5 started yet?

I just got to episode 19 on Season 4, looking forward to the end episodes you mentioned, kind of a shame that I ended up watching long after most of the hubbub died down, I've seen rumors that the show might end with season 6 or 7.

I freaking knew that was Weird Al, I didn't see his name come up (the site I'm using for watching isn't known for the best quality) but I recognized his voice somehow, even though it wasn't his usual voice. Good episode that.

Daring Doo was BA though I still like Dash better, Doo is the Indiana Jones of Equestria though, give her props there.

So far my favorite episode are the Hearts and hooves one, the CMC talent show one, and that one when Dash tried to do another Sonic Rainboom, fucking sweet.

I need to look at those recaps, though I'm afraid I'll fall into the shipping clique, I already want those two to end up together...Oh please internet, don't turn me into a tumblrite!!

....I also ship Dash and the third member of the Wonderbolts whose wing got damaged in the Equestria Games and whose name I can't recall

Edit: at the last few episodes of Season four now, kind of want to avoid watching them so I don't end the series :P

GrinningYMIR

So uh hydra, I finished season 4

I can't find an image to properly display my reaction to it all, but

IT WAS FUCKING SWEET

Oh wait, now I'm caught up and they haven't released the new season, and its not due until 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-AOwd_sFUA

Hydra009

There's always the monthly top 10 fan video compilation and wild mass guessing threads about season 5.

I'm flank deep in the Fallout Equestria stuff right now.  The writer was prolific to say the least.  And it seems more or less in keeping with both universes, which is quite a feat and more than a little disturbing.

I've replaced sleep and food with a rationed diet of party time mint-als and I've hardly even fleebed anybee diffranger.