News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello fellow atheists

Started by The Rationalist, July 06, 2014, 10:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rationalist

I'm a college student and an atheist interested in discussing issues involving this kind of stuff with like minded people. As is probably the case with most of you, most people I deal with offline are of certain religion at least in name, which makes finding other atheists to talk to difficult. I hope to have many intelligent discussions with other atheists here.

I consider myself somewhere between agnostic and a full blown atheist. I'm pretty certain there's no supernatural given the lack of evidence, but I guess it's not totally impossible. If I was given clear evidence of the existence of deity I'd change that view. But as it stands I'm totally conformable in saying there's no god and religion is nonsense.

I grew up as a Christian, going to a Methodist church. My mom sent my sister and I to Sunday school there until I was 12 or 13, so I grew up believing in God. My family was never that religious though, and my mom admits now that she sent us there more for social reasons and for nice sanitized version of the faith that teaches good moral lessons. So I guess it's not like creationism and political positions I didn't agree with were shoved down my throat and I grew up learning about science and the world around me from pretty secular standpoints. I stopped going to church all together at around 15 just because it was boring and I had better things to do at that time. It wasn't a big deal because as I said, we were't that religious. I guess before I stopped refusing to believe in a god there was no evidence for last year (really it was a long time coming).  I was always a deist as I never believed in the literal word of the Bible. I've always known religion is social control as well, which is why it bugs me when people start preaching to me. This was even before I officially became an atheist. So yeah, unlike a lot of atheists I didn't have a big traumatic moment that the theists can point to as a reason I "gave up" on a god that doesn't exist. I just finally faced up to the fact I was believing in something that no evidence to support its existence just because I had been told it exists since birth.

I guess the final thing you should know about me is that I do have a sailor mouth, although I will censor myself if the forum rules require it. I hope I don't have to, but I will if the rules prohibit cursing (I'm not sure if they do).

Moralnihilist

Fuck no the cocksucking rules don't prohibit shitty ass swearing.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

GrinningYMIR

Watch your fucking language you filthy son of a cocksucking whore!

Welcome To the forum, hope you enjoy your time here
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Solitary

Welcome aboard you fucking Rationalist!  :butt:  :pidu: :biggrin2: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

robert04330

I HAVE CANDY

Jason78

Quote from: The Rationalist on July 06, 2014, 10:05:56 PM
I guess the final thing you should know about me is that I do have a sailor mouth

You got a purty sailor mouth?

Welcome to the forum
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

PickelledEggs

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on July 06, 2014, 10:26:21 PM
Watch your fucking language you filthy son of a cocksucking whore!

Welcome To the forum, hope you enjoy your time here
lmao

Sent from your mom

the_antithesis

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 07, 2014, 02:12:45 PM
lmao

Sent from your mom

If I was the OP I'd be more worried about Jason's response than YMIR's...

Oh, and welcome!
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

DunkleSeele

Welcome, Rationalist!

Not get your fucking ass in gear and try to fucking contribute to some topics, will you for fuck sake?

robert04330

welcome to the fucking forums dickmilk
I HAVE CANDY

Green Bottle

Welcome tae the madhoose  Rationalist....
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

PickelledEggs

Oh wait. I forgot to do a welcome.

Welcome!!!

As for your sailor mouth... I don't think you are nearly enough of a cunt or prick to piss off us cocksuckers with words. (as long as you're not flaming or being stupid in general) :lol:

So, yeah. Welcome!!!

Draconic Aiur

Welcome to the forums! Here's your complimentary Cockroach!