My philsophy professor dropped this on me

Started by victormarte, April 14, 2014, 02:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Shit like this is why I avoided philosophy.

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Jason78

Quote from: victormarte on April 14, 2014, 02:36:48 PM
"tell me about the god you don't believe in."

What would be a response to this?

Isn't that begging the question by assuming that there is a specific god that exists, yet you don't believe in?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

pioteir

Quote from: stromboli on April 15, 2014, 12:48:40 AM
Shit like this is why I avoided philosophy.

Me too. I hate those fuckers thinking weird shit up and pretending they know more than they actually do.
Theology is unnecessary. - Stephen Hawking

Johan

"tell me about the god you don't believe in."

Tell me professor, are you still beating your wife on a regular basis?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

La Dolce Vita

I have no idea what he's trying to say here. Is it:

A: You can't say anything about something about something you don't believe in. You don't believe in god, so shut the fuck up?
or
B: Define god, then I'll show you that's not the correct description of the one and only true god?

Both seem nonsensical to me.

If A the reply should be:

"We can criticize every other idea we don't believe in, why not yours?"

If B, it's really easy:

"There are legions of different definitions of the one particular god you appear to be referring to, and legions of other gods with endless definitions as well. I can't define all of them at once. Many of them are completely contradictory (not that many singular definitions aren't as well). It is up to the believers to define whatever gods they believe in themselves, and first then I can tell whether I believe in it or not. Typically the god concepts involve magical attributes however, and I'm yet to be convinced, and therefor do not believe, that any such attributes exist. Therefor if the "god" you are referring to has magical attributes, or is any kind of un-documentet sentient force living without a body, I do not believe in said god.

If what you call god demonstrably exist, such as a rock, a totem pole or the universe, I will certainly believe in said god, I just don't see any reason to call it a god, unless it has magical attributes, and in that case it will be the magical attributes I do not believe in."

Mermaid

Quote from: Jason78 on April 15, 2014, 06:11:39 AM
Isn't that begging the question by assuming that there is a specific god that exists, yet you don't believe in?
I think this is the approach the professor is probably looking for. He made an assumption with his question that he shouldnta oughta made.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

SGOS

Quote from: Jason78 on April 15, 2014, 06:11:39 AM
Yeah, probably, maybe.  But I got so focused on failing to formulate an intelligible answer, that I went into one of those zones, where nothing makes sense.

josephpalazzo

Background: He was talking about Karen Armstrong's book called The Case for God. He summarized one of her points by saying "tell me about the god you don't believe in."

Answer: Why waste your time on something you don't believe in?

Mister Agenda

The God I don't believe in is the one without sufficient evidence to justify my belief in it.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Jmpty

Why would a Philosophy professor be talking about that book? I smell a rat.
???  ??

Gawdzilla Sama

They like to lay traps and see who avoids them.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

ApostateLois

I'd say, "Tell me about the gods that YOU don't believe in. There are thousands of them, so feel free to write your opinions of each one in a PDF and send it to me."
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

rex

Background: He was talking about Karen Armstrong's book called The Case for God. He summarized one of her points by saying "tell me about the god you don't believe in."

I don't believe in any god.