News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 17, 2020, 02:12:27 PM
Well the thing is that it's not because our hospitals are flooded. We have enough room, I'm told.
But before corona, our population of 80+ year Olds was already amongst the highest, relatively, so maybe that's why?
Numbers seem to be dropping too.
Maybe because we're such a small and packed country, it spread and spiked faster? We've also been implementing more tests, so could be due to that, I don't know. With a smaller population, higher scores are also more easily attained.
I don't feel unsafe, as I am. Thanks for asking. I'm just worried I might infect others.

Hope you do well too.

My family has done well so far.  I am expecting our state to open up partially around May 1.  We don't have many deaths per million.

Belgium:
991 people per mi2
The median age in Belgium is 41.9 years
11,849 mi² in size.
11.46 million (12.75% non-European)

New Mexico:
17.2 people per square mile
The medium age in New Mexico is 37.2 years
121,697 mi²
2.097 million population (see below)

Both places are multilingual.  We have American (English), Mexican (Spanish), Navajo and smaller native tribal languages.  Most of the Navajos live in Arizona.

Colorful New Mexico:
55.4% Hispanic
28.0% Anglo
11.3% Native American
1.8% Asian
1.7% Black

New Mexico - English
Yootó Hahoodzo - Navajo
Nuevo México - Spanish
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"Chinese epicenter Wuhan raises number of virus dead by about 50 percent" ... they started opening the apartments that they welded shut ;-(

"Governor Abbott issues an executive order to ease restrictions on Texas" ... not first, but not bad!

EU financial response to Covid ... "first they came for Cyprus, but I wasn't a Cypriot, then they came for Greece, but I wasn't a Greek ... now they are coming for Italy and Germany doesn't care".  Post Covid EU plan ... nationalize private business, run it into the ground, sell deflated assets to China.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Blockading a hospital in Michigan, honking horns (and disturbing the people fighting for their lives inside), harassing doctors and nurses trying to get to work...

All funded and promoted by the Michigan GOP and particularly a certain cunt named Betsy DeVos.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

They hunger for what they do not possess - brains.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on April 17, 2020, 12:58:04 PM
I think Beau has a very good point that politicians can say the economy is reopened but it won't actually reopen until consumers have confidence. I currently do not have confidence.
I will continue to isolate and distance after the economy is opened up.  I'd like to avoid this thing if at all possible.  It will be more difficult if others feel like an OK from the government means they can stop wearing masks, distancing, and exposing themselves, but I will still do what I can to contiue to protect myself.  I will avoid restaurants and movie theaters like death traps for at least a year.   There are dangerous activities that I just don't need.  Personally, I'm not satisfied with flattening the curve as the final goal for myself.

Hydra009

I'm torn between wanting to get back to work asap and waiting to see if this is a false spring or not.  If we have a second wave of this stuff, I will be very, very unhappy.

And next time I so much as hear someone cough, I'm stocking up a little storage closet with about a month's work of toiletries, water, food, and medicine.  Along with a steel digging bar and an updated zombie plan (I'm assuming Walking Dead rules)

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 18, 2020, 12:32:24 AM
A lot more people might be infected than previously thought

Stuff like this and experts saying it likely was being spread in January/February here makes me about 90% sure I had the Coronavirus in late Febuary; I work amongst an international community (including a large Chinese foreign exchange student population and friends returning from Seattle), and for a good week I had a fever over 101 degrees and could barely breath because for every breath I took I spent about 10 seconds coughing. I literally locked myself in my room and was only able to eat about half a bowl of soup for about three days, and then for about a week after that was walking with a cane because I could barely stand. Several other coworkers had to stay home as well as well as a lot of students on campus.

My guess is the American numbers should be significantly higher, but like myself no one was able to afford at that time to go get tested for being sick. And if that was the virus, then trust me when I say even if it doesn't kill you... you REALLY don't want it, because it was a solid week of feeling like you are about to die, and then another week or two of your body regaining strength.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Draconic Aiur

It would kill me, a smoker and a person with asthma and bronchitis when sick.

SGOS

QuoteCalifornia megachurch linked to spread of more than 70 coronavirus cases
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/03/california-church-coronvirus-outbreak-sacramento

Article also mentions other churches disregarding shut downs.  This one finally did stop in person worship, but bellyached about doing it.  I guessed this would happen.  The sanctity of the church has always been "hands off," as has been the sanctity of personal beliefs, even when these beliefs infringe on others.  In addition, I assume church goers feel that going to church is safe, because "God will protect them," even if he doesn't.  And if this passes the virus onto others not involved in the church, well, others can just go fuck themselves.  I don't know if I can think of a more unsanitary environment than a full church right now.

This independent disregard for others is also showing up in politics, as we are all aware of.  But this is nothing new, although it seems to have increased during the last 4 years.

Sal1981

Today there are over 2.2 million total cases and 156,072 deaths worldwide. Less than 3 months ago it was less than 5,000 cases.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on April 17, 2020, 11:04:57 PM
I will continue to isolate and distance after the economy is opened up.  I'd like to avoid this thing if at all possible.  It will be more difficult if others feel like an OK from the government means they can stop wearing masks, distancing, and exposing themselves, but I will still do what I can to contiue to protect myself.  I will avoid restaurants and movie theaters like death traps for at least a year.   There are dangerous activities that I just don't need.  Personally, I'm not satisfied with flattening the curve as the final goal for myself.

Good plan for retired people.  I want the Bill Gates app that identifies Democrats, to I can extra-distance from them ;-)  Working people don't have that luxury, though they can avoid airplanes, cruise ships and movie theaters.

Eventually most people will be carriers of this virus ... just like all prior easily transmissible viruses.  Particularly young people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on April 18, 2020, 12:51:54 AM
Stuff like this and experts saying it likely was being spread in January/February here makes me about 90% sure I had the Coronavirus in late Febuary; I work amongst an international community (including a large Chinese foreign exchange student population and friends returning from Seattle), and for a good week I had a fever over 101 degrees and could barely breath because for every breath I took I spent about 10 seconds coughing. I literally locked myself in my room and was only able to eat about half a bowl of soup for about three days, and then for about a week after that was walking with a cane because I could barely stand. Several other coworkers had to stay home as well as well as a lot of students on campus.

My guess is the American numbers should be significantly higher, but like myself no one was able to afford at that time to go get tested for being sick. And if that was the virus, then trust me when I say even if it doesn't kill you... you REALLY don't want it, because it was a solid week of feeling like you are about to die, and then another week or two of your body regaining strength.

No symptoms yet.  Example of being ill at work:  15 years ago I had a continuous dry cough, a really bad bronchitis.  No other symptoms other than coughing like a trumpet, and it lasted days.  I was self isolated at work (worked in computer room).  Doctor said the cilia of my lungs were irritated. Didn't have that filled lung feeling you get with regular bronchitis (which usually happens if I get a sinus infection dropping down into my lungs at night).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on April 18, 2020, 06:30:06 AM
It would kill me, a smoker and a person with asthma and bronchitis when sick.

Definitely a need to take extra precautions.  Do you get your groceries delivered to you?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on April 18, 2020, 11:12:04 AM
Today there are over 2.2 million total cases and 156,072 deaths worldwide. Less than 3 months ago it was less than 5,000 cases.

Pandemics do that ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.