News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Life is Precious

Started by Givemeareason, May 13, 2015, 01:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Givemeareason

This whole concept of "Life is Precious" that is the only basis of the Pro-life position that I can see is so irrational and contradictory to me.  As far as I can see this concept is based entirely on the premise that a SOUL actually exists.  The clip in the post at the bottom of the "Present your evidence here" thread so aptly portrays the irony in this.  But presuming we had a soul then the next question is "where did it come from".  In which case the answer would have to be  either it already existed or there is some ongoing process in which souls are still being created.  But since we are the only animal with a soul this is where it gets really tricky.  So if these souls already existed what have they been doing for the last 20 billion years waiting for us to come around??  But if these souls are still being created then considering the very limited prospects of having a good life, why would a soul want to inhabit a human body at all?  Just so they can take a chance at living and then end up going to heaven or an eternity in hell??  Now the Mormons have an interesting idea.  Hell is just a place you will exist in the absence of god yet you will still be able to see all that you are missing out on for all eternity again.  I guess this is why the Catholics have purgatory.  But with the Mormons you can become a god yourself and then rule your own universe.  Sheesh!!!  I had a Mormon try to recruit me a while back.  He didn't know I was an atheist so he asked me if I believed in the search for truth?  I replied " No. People are just looking for something to believe in."
I am a Hard Athiest.  I am thought provoking inwardly and outwardly.  I am a nonconforming freethinker.

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

AllPurposeAtheist

Soulllllllllllllllll train!

Warning : white guys can't dance.. :eek:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Sal1981

So ... life isn't precious?

Givemeareason

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 13, 2015, 02:50:46 PM
So ... life isn't precious?

That would depend on your point of view.  It certainly is not from mine.
I am a Hard Athiest.  I am thought provoking inwardly and outwardly.  I am a nonconforming freethinker.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Givemeareason on May 13, 2015, 03:04:13 PM
That would depend on your point of view.  It certainly is not from mine.
It's certainly the only life you'll ever get so why not treat it as precious? 

Conradine

The weird thing are anti choice that are at the same time pro death penalty, like George W. Bush.
Cognitive dissonance...

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Conradine on May 13, 2015, 03:11:08 PM
The weird thing are anti choice that are at the same time pro death penalty, like George W. Bush.
Cognitive dissonance...
There are just to many examples of this.. Inmates on death row who become suicidal and put on suicide watch..
The fact that if you go to the hospital with no insurance you're likely to be turned away,  but if you tell them your condition is making you suicidal they'll sell a wing of the hospital to fix you right on up then toss you back to the wolves.. The hospital and doctors can kill you, but try it on your own and you'll be deemed mentally incompetent..

Givemeareason

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 13, 2015, 03:08:00 PM

It's certainly the only life you'll ever get so why not treat it as precious?

I need to elaborate a bit.  From my point of view, it again is probably better to have never lived at all.  So from that point of view you could be doing the fetus a favor when you abort it.  Though individuals are not precious our species may well be.  I would like to hear more on what you are saying.

Solitary

SmOn Because life can be unbearable sooner or later. You haven't lived much for an old coot have you? Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Desdinova

Givemeareason, have you took a good shit today?
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Givemeareason

Quote from: Solitary on May 13, 2015, 04:13:04 PM
SmOn Because life can be unbearable sooner or later. You haven't lived much for an old coot have you? Solitary

Empty barrels make the loudest noises.

leo

Quote from: Desdinova on May 13, 2015, 04:48:09 PM
Givemeareason, have you took a good shit today?
I think not. Givemeareason needs a good laxative.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

stromboli

I'm gonna go microwave some popcorn......

SkyChief

Quote from: Givemeareason on May 13, 2015, 01:54:56 PM
1) But presuming we had a soul then the next question is "where did it come from". 

2) So if these souls already existed what have they been doing for the last 20 billion years waiting for us to come around?? 

3) But if these souls are still being created then considering the very limited prospects of having a good life, why would a soul want to inhabit a human body at all? 

O dear.  Let's see if we can't straighten out this mess!   :biggrin:

1) We shouldn't really presume we ever had a soul.  A 'soul' is only a construct of spiritual/religious nonsense.  Since there is no evidence that a soul exists, we can reject the notion.

2) The souls never existed.   Souls are just constructs of spiritual/religious nonsense.

3) Souls are not being created.  Souls are just constructs of spiritual/religious nonsense.

Anyone who believes in this 'soul' crap is spiritual and a believer in the paranormal and woo-woo.

I suppose its possible to be spiritual and still not believe in gods.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."    - Albert Einstein