News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Impeach Trump????

Started by fencerider, September 30, 2017, 11:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 28, 2019, 01:40:45 PM
Hmmm, that's an odd question to be asking Baruch. Or did you mean it as a rhetorical question?

Well, almost any question to Baruch is rhetorical in the sense that he will never actually answer it directly but just try for a diverting joke. 

And, just for the record, when I engage with him late at night sometimes, it's just because he is the only game in town and I am bored.  I know I shouldn't.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 30, 2019, 02:53:35 PM
As did Hitler.  Another remark that makes me nuts is 'At least he/she is sincere in their beliefs'--as tho sincerity lends credence to said beliefs.  Hitler was very sincere in his beliefs--doesn't not change the fact that Hitler was pure evil.

I understand.  Sincerity of belief has nothing to do with rationality of that belief.  And I'll go further; If something is legitimately called a "belief", it probably ISN'T true or rational.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 31, 2019, 12:02:37 AM
Well, almost any question to Baruch is rhetorical in the sense that he will never actually answer it directly but just try for a diverting joke. 

And, just for the record, when I engage with him late at night sometimes, it's just because he is the only game in town and I am bored.  I know I shouldn't.

So I ask you, what Nixon/Kissinger did to Chile, is that good enough for America?  Would General Al Haig have made a good Pinochet?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on May 31, 2019, 12:07:20 AM
So I ask you, what Nixon/Kissinger did to Chile, is that good enough for America?  Would General Al Haig have made a good Pinochet?

OK. Let's say that Nixon's threat of impeachment had many causes and that under-handed actions in Chile were a small part of it.  It was long past time that we stopped meddling in SA affairs.  Manifest Destiny is rather idiotic on the face of it, but worse in existing nations by even European rules.  Kissinger was a Cheney or maybe a Bolton but with some theory.  Haig would have been thrilled with Trump.

Read this and laugh (unless you cry)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUKW0fL-OqY

Unbeliever

If the Republican senate acquits Trump and won't impeach him, then they'll show America and the world that they care nothing at all for the rule of law. The Democratic party should force them to do that.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 31, 2019, 02:28:23 PM
If the Republican senate acquits Trump and won't impeach him, then they'll show America and the world that they care nothing at all for the rule of law. The Democratic party should force them to do that.

Slight correction.  The House "impeaches" and that is like an indictment.  The Senate holds the actual trial and the Chief Justice presides over the actions.

Unbeliever

Yes, and the senate can acquit him of impeachment charges.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 31, 2019, 02:42:23 PM
Yes, and the senate can acquit him of impeachment charges.

Here's a question for you.  Does the Senate HAVE to act on a House impeachment decision?  I bet turtle-boy would simply ignore it...

Speaking of whom, did you notice that McConnell said yesterday that he would push a SCOTUS nominee in an election year after expressing moral outrage at the idea when Obama offerred Merrick Garland?

Minimalist

McConnell is a piece of shit.  But then, that is not news.

Once the House Resolution arrives there is no set process for what comes next.

The thing is, the resolution only arrives after the House Judiciary Committee ( or a special committee ) has held public hearings on the issue.  Who knows what will come out of those hearings.

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on May 31, 2019, 02:52:17 PM
Here's a question for you.  Does the Senate HAVE to act on a House impeachment decision?  I bet turtle-boy would simply ignore it...

I don't know, but I wouldn't put it past the GOP senate to simply ignore it.

QuoteSpeaking of whom, did you notice that McConnell said yesterday that he would push a SCOTUS nominee in an election year after expressing moral outrage at the idea when Obama offerred Merrick Garland?

Indeed, I did see that. McConnel has no shame at all, he only cares about keeping his power.
God Not Found

Minimalist

So there are still a few decent republicans around..... sadly, they are out of power.

https://youtu.be/bwnMpneFR34
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 31, 2019, 02:28:23 PM

The US has been evil, since 1776.  Just ask King George III.

We should have lynched Bill Clinton, because the Democratic Senate failed in their duty, right?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

I don't know, but I don't think so.  Article I Section 3 only says "The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present."  Which doesn't say anything about having to take up the matter if offered by the House.

Speaking of whom, did you notice that McConnell said yesterday that he would push a SCOTUS nominee in an election year after expressing moral outrage at the idea when Obama offerred Merrick Garland?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Don't worry, when the US is a one party state … as all Ds or Rs want … the Senate will have to follow the orders of the House (and Emperor Xi).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Here's why Trump won't be impeached: if the Senate exonerates Trump then once out of office citizen Trump cannot be charged again. Trump knows that, and why he is goading the Dems to impeach him. The only problem for Trump is that Pelosi also knows that, and why she won't impeach him.