Law Allowing Armed Church Members Signed By Mississippi Governor

Started by stromboli, April 15, 2016, 08:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack89

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 19, 2016, 05:56:52 PM
Looks like someone could just snatch that pistol right out of there, huh?
Maybe, but without a magazine it might be hard to fire. 

SGOS

Quote from: Jack89 on April 19, 2016, 08:42:36 PM
Maybe, but without a magazine it might be hard to fire. 

Wow!  You are an observant one aren't you?  I had to take another look at that photo.

Jason Harvestdancer

You mean there was a law that said "that ain't government property, but we're going to tell you what you can and can't have there anyway"?
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Flanker1Six

Nothing wrong with carrying in any 'ol place nowadays.  As long as your intent is to effectively use deadly force ONLY to defend yourself, loved ones, friends, etc. when no reasonable alternatives are available, and imminent serious physical injury/death is the likely outcome of inaction by yourself.  As always...........if they get the drop on you; carrying might not make much difference anyway.     

stromboli

Quote from: Flanker1Six on April 20, 2016, 08:49:32 PM
Nothing wrong with carrying in any 'ol place nowadays.  As long as your intent is to effectively use deadly force ONLY to defend yourself, loved ones, friends, etc. when no reasonable alternatives are available, and imminent serious physical injury/death is the likely outcome of inaction by yourself.  As always...........if they get the drop on you; carrying might not make much difference anyway.     

And what exactly is the deadly force implied in going to church? The pastor gonna get the drop on you?  If you have a gun to hand and a "situation" arises- an argument, road rage- and any threat is felt-implied or not- using deadly force to deal with it is simply too easy to achieve. There needs to be a reasonable distance between the identification of need and use of deadly force. You walk around open carry and your intent is what?

the mere presence of a weapon can be construed as intent. You walk into a situation where there are several armed men and somebody, anybody, gets lippy or in the least sense threatening you have a scenario for bloodshed based on very little provocation. Open carry is stupid. I cannot see any situation where open carry at some point won't lead to use of deadly force without provocation. You are betting on every redneck that can shoot a can be a logical, proper decision making individual.

And oh yes, I own weapons. And this summer I'm going to get a concealed carry permit. But in my state you have to prove you are not a psycho and take an approved course and pass an exam.

Open carry does not solve any problems. There is not a reasonable scenario where open carry would serve any real purpose but for the vanity and macho of the gun owner.

Flanker1Six

As my intro states; I'm a life long LE/CJ.contractor/security professional. 

Additionally; I taught Use of Force/Deadly Force, crisis resolution/comms, hostage negotiation, disturbance control, amongst other topics for many years, and have been involved in 6 deadly force incidents (involving firearms) during my life.

I never said anything about open carry, where did you draw that assumption from?  I am opposed to open carry though I don't think it's inherently wrong, but it does have a distinct likely hood of wierding out others who do not know your back ground, or skills set................to me; for that reason only; it is counterproductive and undesirable.   I've been licensed to carry professionally since 1977, and privately since 1996.  The only times I've ever carried openly is in the line of duty, usually in uniform with agency issued ID.     

stromboli

Sorry, I assumed open carry from your comments. Then you obviously know what use of deadly force implies. I have training in firearms from different sources and others on here as well. But I still cannot see a scenario where in a church the need for carrying a weapon is implied; unless of course you are talking about real threats. I personally can't think of a scenario where the use of deadly force in a house of worship is justified. Whatever. Your choice.

Flanker1Six

No offense taken!   

Carrying a deadly weapon at any time, or any place is a significant responsibility.  Once a bullet is down range, and out the barrel..................it's like the spoken or printed word...................you CAN'T take it back.  I also commanded a former agency's ERT/SWAT Team for 2 + years...............I always told new members that no matter what; if you shot anyone................one of three things would occur.  You'll have destroyed yourself, destroyed them, or very possibly both, no matter how right or wrong you were in shooting! 

In case you're wondering:  My six deadly force encounters all ended (combined) in a total of only two minor woundings; a little via skill and knowledge and quite a bit more through luck and circumstance!   

Quite a few years after one incident......................I actually had one of the "potential targets" thank me for NOT shooting his ***!  It's still one of the best compliments I've ever been paid!