News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

And how come there's a grand canyon gift shop right next to the grand canyon?

Checkmate, atheists.

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 05, 2024, 06:17:37 AM

And how come there's a grand canyon gift shop right next to the grand canyon?

Checkmate, atheists.
I swear, social media gives me the impression that people are just getting stupider by the moment. I know this is untrue, however I do think this shift to embrace one's stupidity as something positive is new.

Gawdzilla Sama

My hillbilly cousins are on social media all the time demanding that "America clean-up its act!!!!!!!" (I counted the exclamation points to make sure I got the right number.)

Meanwhile, at least one of them a week gets busted for making meth in their barns or out-buildings.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Well, at least they're interested in chemistry! 🥸
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 05, 2024, 08:07:51 AMMy hillbilly cousins are on social media all the time demanding that "America clean-up its act!!!!!!!" (I counted the exclamation points to make sure I got the right number.)

Meanwhile, at least one of them a week gets busted for making meth in their barns or out-buildings.
Farm-to-tablet.  :P

the_antithesis

Tablet? They should get a smart phone.

Unbeliever

Smart phones probably make them feel dumb...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Cassia on May 05, 2024, 07:15:10 AMI swear, social media gives me the impression that people are just getting stupider by the moment. I know this is untrue, however I do think this shift to embrace one's stupidity as something positive is new.

Don't be that sure. I've thought that way for a looong time. I've started to use the net at around 1994. I have an idea how it evolved. I also thought thinking that way -that most people are just stupid- is condescending, or that people had a reason for the way they think. But, I'm not so sure anymore. It's not about just right wing politics and religion either.

[I think especially using tablets, and smart phones made people stupid. As a medium, it makes people stupid. I don't think laptops, desktops, using mouse gives the same harm. Maybe because they're not so interactive as others, and they put a distance between the person and the virtual world they are interacting. Touching directly to 'information' and the -so called social media- 'knowledge', in time, effects the user. I think people lose their sight on real world, what can be included/done in real life when using these devices.]

Remember the people who just thought about politics, different people/lives just a moment only when something big happened they can't avoid, or just when something occasionally happened in their lives, people who haven't felt curious about anything, and didn't read a decent book in their lives, before social media? Well, now most of them are on social media liking/unliking each other, making large groups and reacting to things; deciding what is wrong and why, and what is right. And they don't know how to say 'I don't know'. Wİllful ignorance; not being able to produce one original thought make people feel like they're omniscient.

The 'haven't felt curious about anything in their lives' part is the key issue here as far as I understand. It feels that way because if you try to get better at something, get curious about something you at least learn there is a beginning, growth and end of in things. I don't know, I mean, you learn that nothing is what it seems at first sight? It's an introduction for cause and effect. Some sort of dialectic?

For example I used to think, I'm strongly self-opinionated, rigid...etc. Nope, I'm not. With the life experience I have now, looking back, the only rigid thing with me was wanting to know when I face something new or I don't get. (See, at this point the whole thing feels like arrogance, and I used to think that way.) But honestly, I really started to think there has been a shift in the profile of what we call the average person. Average person is stupid now. There I said it. My father's reaction to that is 'it's always been like that'. No, I don't think it's always been like that. There should be an explanation for it. Somebody, some people with enough intelligence should be able to have some sort of an answer to that.

Apparently, even Edward Witten said that he didn't believe the science will be able to explain consciousness. Myeh... It sucks.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp