The Top Earners in America should be embarrassed.

Started by Brian37, February 19, 2013, 07:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/1 ... 22590.html

Now why is it our economy sucks so bad to the point where a foreign country is donating to us?

This isn't just about disasters. The mega corporations in America don't want to do a damned thing to lift the wages of the middle and poor classes. They don't want to improve education, or reduce crime.

They would claim that they DO donate. Yea, for PR and they get tax breaks for it. If they would skip the tax cuts, and skip the PR and skip the marketing, give their ceos a reasonable salary instead of an outrageous one. Maybe if they would invest directly instead of demanding tax cuts, maybe our economy would be better and maybe we could have that "less government" they always whine about wanting.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Mathias

The so-called "first world" needs a peaceful revolution (new paradigm) against this irresponsible and predatory capitalism whose advent, in my opinion, came from the 80's. Communism is too utopian and unnatural and the "invisible hand" fills the pockets of a small and irresponsible portion that don't give a damn about the poors. Not to mention the corruption that is spreading like a weed (the bad one :))all over the world, without exception.
"There is no logic in the existence of any god".
Myself.

Brian37

Quote from: "Mathias"The so-called "first world" needs a peaceful revolution (new paradigm) against this irresponsible and predatory capitalism whose advent, in my opinion, came from the 80's. Communism is too utopian and unnatural and the "invisible hand" fills the pockets of a small and irresponsible portion that don't give a damn about the poors. Not to mention the corruption that is spreading like a weed (the bad one :))all over the world, without exception.

The insidious thing is that when we talk about pay gap and health care we get accused of hating the open market when it is greed and exploitation and abuse of power we hate. They use the "commie" crap to get the right wing in the middle and poor classes to vote against their own self interest.

The "left" needs to do a better job politically exposing this lie.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Nonsensei

TBH I would rather see the UAE donate than an individual top wage earner.

Get some of that money back.

I am surprised that the UAE gives the slightest shit about anything that happens over here.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Plu

QuoteI am surprised that the UAE gives the slightest shit about anything that happens over here.

Like the big companies, they only care about the PR and what comes back to them.

Brian37

Quote from: "Nonsensei"TBH I would rather see the UAE donate than an individual top wage earner.

Get some of that money back.

I am surprised that the UAE gives the slightest shit about anything that happens over here.

Charity should not have to exist at all if top earners were paying livable wages instead of getting tax cuts. Our FEMA could take care of things like this. But no, the CEOs of EXXON and GE would end up on cat food.

Charity is not really charity in America in any case. The right wing wants to complain about robbery, but when they get a tax break for giving to charity, someone has to compensate for that, meaning the rest of us, so it is in reality a loan forced on the rest of us. Charity means not expecting anything back in return.

Mathias

Quote from: "Brian37"
Quote from: "Mathias"The so-called "first world" needs a peaceful revolution (new paradigm) against this irresponsible and predatory capitalism whose advent, in my opinion, came from the 80's. Communism is too utopian and unnatural and the "invisible hand" fills the pockets of a small and irresponsible portion that don't give a damn about the poors. Not to mention the corruption that is spreading like a weed (the bad one :))all over the world, without exception.

The insidious thing is that when we talk about pay gap and health care we get accused of hating the open market when it is greed and exploitation and abuse of power we hate. They use the "commie" crap to get the right wing in the middle and poor classes to vote against their own self interest.

The "left" needs to do a better job politically exposing this lie.

The problem with the left is that it's gone to the center and many fell in the wrong side and others are balancing. It is high time for the middle class conscious and politicized "kick the tent pole" as we say around here, and actively participate in decisions, or protest vehemently and very organized. A major problem in the consumer society is to "keep your eyes away from the navel." I'm full of cliches today ... : P
Sorry, my english is basic and the translators misses the point frequently.
Myself.

Jason78

Quote from: "Brian37"Charity should not have to exist at all if top earners were paying livable wages

And paying their fair share of taxes.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Johan

I must be some kind of corporate shill or something because you've lost me completely on their one. The mega corporations don't do anything to lift the wages off the middle class? Of course they don't. Since when was that part of their charter? Their purpose is to make a profit. Period.

I want to live in a world where any woman I find attractive will cheerfully and willingly perform oral sex on me anytime I ask. But you don't see me complaining because they won't.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Plu

QuoteI must be some kind of corporate shill or something because you've lost me completely on their one. The mega corporations don't do anything to lift the wages off the middle class? Of course they don't. Since when was that part of their charter? Their purpose is to make a profit. Period.

The question isn't "Is it their purpose" (because of course it is), the real question is "should it remain so?".

That's the mindset most people are discussing in, that it shouldn't remain so.

widdershins

This is the very nature of capitalism.  Companies are under tremendous pressure to post better earnings than the time before every single time.  If earnings take the slightest dip, investors bail.  Even if they remain constant the industry uses the term "stagnant" to describe no change.  That is not a positive word.  I don't know if it's so much corporate greed as it is the climate of investor expectations.  Not that corporate greed isn't also a factor, but what do you do when profits must go up quarter after quarter, year after year?  What do you do when your earnings are analyzed and compared to previous earnings for the slightest sign of weakness?  You either post better earnings each and every time or you lose investors.  The very nature of corporate America is basically a pyramid scheme which is unsustainable in the long term.  Pure capitalism simply can't work in the long term.  It ends with most of the money in the economy being horded by a very few until all companies collapse because there's no more left to take from the economy.
This sentence is a lie...

Nonsensei

Quote from: "Johan"I must be some kind of corporate shill or something because you've lost me completely on their one. The mega corporations don't do anything to lift the wages off the middle class? Of course they don't. Since when was that part of their charter? Their purpose is to make a profit. Period.

I want to live in a world where any woman I find attractive will cheerfully and willingly perform oral sex on me anytime I ask. But you don't see me complaining because they won't.

In order for your analogy to be relevant we would have to be living in a world where women simply never give blowjobs as a rule.

The purpose of a business is to turn a profit. The reason for a nation to foster an environment in which those businesses can flourish is because the nation expects to garner some benefit from doing so. When businesses become successful and retain all their wealth, letting as little as possible back into the society that gave rise to it and allowed it to become successful, society is damaged.

Whether private organizations want to admit it or not, they do owe the public something. The idea of the more successful among us looking out for the less successful among us isnt some sort of sin, its at the very heart of being a group of people that are supposedly on the same side.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Thumpalumpacus

The more a company pays its workers, the higher the workforce quality tends to be, in my experience.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Mathias

The problem is not profit but how to get it so morally accepted (including how the lobbys are made). If anyone would act in the same way that a company probably never get out of jail!
Myself.

Johan

Quote from: "Plu"
QuoteI must be some kind of corporate shill or something because you've lost me completely on their one. The mega corporations don't do anything to lift the wages off the middle class? Of course they don't. Since when was that part of their charter? Their purpose is to make a profit. Period.

The question isn't "Is it their purpose" (because of course it is), the real question is "should it remain so?".

That's the mindset most people are discussing in, that it shouldn't remain so.
So they question whether or not business should be profit driven? Fair enough. Tell you what then, you build your own mega corporation and then convert it to something that isn't profit driven and let me know how it works out for you.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful