What are some specific Christian ideas that you dislike?

Started by zarus tathra, January 07, 2014, 01:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zarus tathra

I dislike the idea that we should "forgive" the people who wrong us. That just seems like it's designed to reward and protect people who don't deserve to be rewarded and protected.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

Solitary

Their use of Scripture to support their inhumanity and intolerance, even to the point of killing.  :roll:   :evil:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Uhmm..almost everything. They have a few ok ideas, but they always bury them under mountains of warm, steamy bullshit.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hijiri Byakuren

The fact that they're willing to twist their god around six ways from Sunday rather than acknowledge that he probably doesn't exist. Willful ignorance is one of the few things I hate more than hypocrisy.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

mykcob4

Quote from: "zarus tathra"I dislike the idea that we should "forgive" the people who wrong us. That just seems like it's designed to reward and protect people who don't deserve to be rewarded and protected.
That isn't a christian idea. Forgiving is an integral part of society and has been for centuries before christianity ever existed.
What I dislike about christianity.
They highjack the pervert everything. In the USA somehow you aren't a patriot unless you are a christian. "Got Milk?" became "Got Jesus?"
The christians would have you believe that "morality" can only come from christianity and nothing but a god can give you the morals that you need. Even though they have completed perverted morality. For example: "Manifest Destiny" is a christian moral tenet. An idea that native Americans were immoral heathens and deserved to be systematically robbed and murdered was considered a very moral christian thing to do.
The christians have hijacked to some success:
Morality
Patriotism
and perverted them and used the new perverted meaning to justify their illegal immoral political agendas.
Now they are on a campaign to hijack "science". They call it "Intelligent Design."
They are hijacking history and replacing it with revissionist history. They want people to think that America was founded by christians for christians based on christian principles and that all laws are christian and come from their god. This is a total fabrication and so far from the truth that it defies logic.
The fact is this nation was founded despite of christianity. It was founded to relieve humanity from "Divine Right", as the colonist and American Patriots defied the king and his religious authority to rule over man. They dismissed the notion of "birthrite" and replaced it with inalienable rights of the individual. AND they made this a nation of LAWS not men, meaning that majority does NOT rule over those rights!
So I guess I have no specifics but a complete dislike of ALL christianity and most christians! I feel it my patriotic duty and my Constitutional obligation to fight them at every turn!

Insult to Rocks

Original Sin, as mentioned in my thread.
Also(though this is prevelent in Islam as well),the obsession with virginty.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

Plu

Quote from: "zarus tathra"I dislike the idea that we should "forgive" the people who wrong us. That just seems like it's designed to reward and protect people who don't deserve to be rewarded and protected.

Yeah, we should be more like middle eastern society, where people keep killing each other over things that happened hundreds of years ago. That's a much better idea than forgiving people.

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Shiranu

Not even remotely specific to Christianity.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Thumpalumpacus

I dislike the idea that all morality comes from some supernatural source.  

I dislike the idea that people are asked to suspend the one thing that uniquely marks them as human: their judgement.

I dislike the idea that a creator God should not be judged by his creations.  After all, if a carpenter builds a crooked cabinet, clearly he's an imperfect carpenter.  Well, ole Claude -- er, God -- built a crooked man, but he's still defined as "perfect"? That's dumb.  Shitty cars bespeak a shitty factory.

I dislike the idea that pi equals three.  It doesn't, assholes.  Pi equals 3.14159265358 etcetcetc.  Deal with it.
<insert witty aphorism here>

mykcob4

I hate the hypocracy of christianity more than anything. It's about money, it's always been about money, it will always be about money.

zarus tathra

Christianity's the only religion that explicitly tells people to "turn the other cheek." There's forgiveness, then there's that.

QuoteYeah, we should be more like middle eastern society, where people keep killing each other over things that happened hundreds of years ago. That's a much better idea than forgiving people.

I'd accuse you of using a straw man argument, but I did come off a bit strong.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

Shol'va

I dislike the whole "faith" thing. I think that pretty much covers it.

Shiranu

QuoteChristianity's the only religion that explicitly tells people to "turn the other cheek." There's forgiveness, then there's that.

Quote...it has been shown that to injure anyone is never just anywhere." - Socrates, in Plato's Republic. Plato is the first person known to have said this.

QuoteSeneca:  "non est quod credas quemquam fieri aliena infelicitate felicem" (it is not so, as you might believe, that one is made happy through the unhappiness of others).

QuoteTamil Tradition[edit]
In the Section on Virtue, and Chapter 32 of the Tirukku?a? (c. 200 BC - 500 AD), Tiruva??uvar says: Why does a man inflict upon other creatures those sufferings, which he has found by experience are sufferings to himself ? (K. 318) Let not a man consent to do those things to another which, he knows, will cause sorrow. (K. 316) He furthermore opined that it is the determination of the spotless (virtuous) not to do evil, even in return, to those who have cherished enmity and done them evil. (K. 312) The (proper) punishment to those who have done evil (to you), is to put them to shame by showing them kindness in return and to forget both the evil and the good done on both sides. (K. 314)

And so on and so forth... many, MANY philosophies and religions say, "If you are wronged, do not retaliate. There is nothing to be gained from it.". To think this is a Christian-only mindset is simply wrong and very ethnocentric. It wasn't even the first to say this.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

aitm

Quote from: "mykcob4"I hate the hypocracy of christianity more than anything. It's about money, it's always been about money, it will always be about money.

I'd go with about 95% of this. Half the damn book of Duet....or is it Numbers...whatever is a "how to pay the priests..point by point" I mean jesus h christ, its more obvious than Ron Hubbard. Its so obvious I can't imagine people don't see it...oh thats right xians never read that boring shit.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust