Gay Marriage Now Legal In 5 More States

Started by stromboli, October 06, 2014, 11:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on October 07, 2014, 06:10:00 AM
This is great! I'm still waiting for more news of the Georgia case, but right now it's just going through typical bureaucratic bullshit. Should be hearing something by the end of the year though.
Pretty much the same for Ohio.. I'm waiting for Columbia to explode here in SC..  Just think of all the couch fainting when all those "strong Christian men"  won't have to pretend to like fucking their wives anymore..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hakurei Reimu

Eat it, homophobes!

(As if the Mormon community has any room to talk about "traditional marriages".)
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Hydra009

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on October 07, 2014, 06:10:00 AM
This is great! I'm still waiting for more news of the Georgia case, but right now it's just going through typical bureaucratic bullshit. Should be hearing something by the end of the year though.
North Carolina, too.  Can't wait to see that Amendment 1 stuff come crashing down in flames.

According to a poll back in September, we're at tipping point, with 46% supporting same sex marriage and 46% opposed.  This latest development could really swing it for the non-homophobes.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 07, 2014, 09:44:37 AM
North Carolina, too.  Can't wait to see that Amendment 1 stuff come crashing down in flames.

According to a poll back in September, we're at tipping point, with 46% supporting same sex marriage and 46% opposed.  This latest development could really swing it for the non-homophobes.

You might be interested in this: http://www.wral.com/gay-marriage-in-north-carolina-at-a-glance/14050919/

stromboli

Utah is a bizarre place to live for a liberal. On the one hand (in Northern Utah) you've got liberals and gays from all over coming here to ski at resorts that are owned largely by Mormons, staying at places owned by Mormons and mingling with them. Never a peep out of the businesses making money from them. There are many gay people who live here year round just for the recreational opportunities.

On the other side you have a predominant mormon ultra-conservative community that just shakes their heads in sorrow and a legislation that is 95% mormon fighting tooth and nail to hold on to the "old values" along with as sizable xtian community as well, and many A of G churches. And also fighting tooth and nail to supposedly battle against polygamy; go to any venue and you will see the polygamists in their long sleeved shirts and women in their long dresses, they are quite evident. All the while, many mormons are secretly supportive of polygamy and it is still in their doctrine as practical, minus laws against it. Utah, the land of contradictions.

stromboli

Same sex marriage bans overturned in Idaho and Nevada
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/10/07/1335005/-Same-sex-marriage-bans-in-Idaho-and-Nevada-overturned

Havin' a good day.  :biggrin: :clap: :super:

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

StupidWiz

Most of my countrymen called this a beginning of apocalypse, that god/allah will punish us for this. It's nauseating reading their comments.  :sick:

Regardless, as my friend said, the dominoes are falling faster than we thought it'd be, and that's good news. :D
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

_Xenu_

I heard something on NPR on my way home about another ruling that could add a couple more states. Things are not looking good for the traditionalists in this area.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

stromboli

Add North Carolina to the mix
http://www.wxii12.com/news/judge-lifts-stays-in-nc-gay-marriage-cases/29017354

Judge lifts stays in NC gay marriage cases

QuoteRALEIGH, N.C. â€"A federal judge in North Carolina has lifted stays in two cases challenging the state's ban on same-sex marriages, a possible sign he's preparing to strike down the prohibition as unconstitutional.

Chief U.S. District Court Judge William L. Osteen, Jr. issued an order Wednesday lifting his earlier stays and dismissing all motions in the cases. The move came after the office of North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper filed documents with the court essentially dropping all further defense of the 2012 ban approved by voters.

Osteen had issued the stays in July, after Virginia's same-sex marriage ban was struck down by the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, which has jurisdiction over North Carolina. The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday refused to hear an appeal of the Virginia case.

:biggrin: :clap: :clap: :clap: :super:

Hakurei Reimu

Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

stromboli

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on October 08, 2014, 09:10:05 PM
I reiterate:

EAT. IT!

Lol. Feels good to be on the winning side. One thing I've noticed, specifically in Utah, is that the attorneys general often are not enthusiastic about their cases. Sean Reyes in Utah basically indicated as much when he took office after the standing AG was indicted for bribery and other crimes and kicked out. He did not start the defense of the lawsuit and was left holding the bag. Attorneys aren't stupid. The NC AG dropped it after he saw the handwriting on the wall. It is an election year, after all.

Hydra009

Quote from: stromboli on October 08, 2014, 10:03:01 PM
Lol. Feels good to be on the winning side.
Right and winning.  Not too often that those two come together.

After seeing the proliferation of the gay marriage bans and an ardent opposition to gay marriage that made it seem like a hopeless cause (remember the "civil unions are okay, but not marriage!" phase?), one state after another allowing gay marriage is a hell of a vindication.

stromboli

It all comes back to Prop 8 and the decision written by Vaughn Walker that really made it happen. Walker's brief was 135 pages and basically covered any potential defense against it.

See it here
https://www.scribd.com/doc/35374462/California-Prop-8-Ruling-August-2010

This is how you write a legal brief.