News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Jesus' Origin Story

Started by Blackleaf, December 21, 2016, 06:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 31, 2017, 09:39:00 AM
And yet just above, you were demanding knowing Latin.  Not very consistent.  Tsk, tsk...

Inside joke.  The Latin version is just a translation, it isn't the real thing ... so no, you don't have to know Latin to read the Bible.  However you would need to know those other languages, to understand it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 31, 2017, 12:51:24 PM
Inside joke.  The Latin version is just a translation, it isn't the real thing ... so no, you don't have to know Latin to read the Bible.  However you would need to know those other languages, to understand it.
I'm glad you recognize that.  I LOL when people read the english translations as if it was the literal WORD (and they do).  They sit in their buildings looking at a white Jesus, listening to bad translations and go to their deaths thinking that is all real.

I'd rather feed my cats indoors and the birds in the yard.  At least they aren't superstitious!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Yes, I once knew a Christian, who believed that the King James is more authoritative than the Torah (Hebrew) ... and argued this with an Israeli.  Hilarity ensued.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 31, 2017, 01:12:53 PM
Yes, I once knew a Christian, who believed that the King James is more authoritative than the Torah (Hebrew) ... and argued this with an Israeli.  Hilarity ensued.

They should both go back and read about Mithra in Persian.  Um, Babylonian?  Urdu?  That's where most of Judaism came from.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on January 31, 2017, 01:01:57 PM
I'm glad you recognize that.  I LOL when people read the english translations as if it was the literal WORD (and they do).
According to Michelle Bachmann,
QuoteIf English was good enough for Jesus when he wrote the Bible it should be good enough for Coke
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 31, 2017, 01:43:23 PM
They should both go back and read about Mithra in Persian.  Um, Babylonian?  Urdu?  That's where most of Judaism came from.

Yes, mostly Babylon with a dash of Persopolis.  Urdu is a mix of Persian and Hindi ... it came much later.

Speaking of that "Where God Was Born" by Bruce Feiler.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 31, 2017, 06:43:26 PM
Yes, mostly Babylon with a dash of Persopolis.  Urdu is a mix of Persian and Hindi ... it came much later.

Speaking of that "Where God Was Born" by Bruce Feiler.

Mithraism was a bunch of bull...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 05, 2017, 10:37:08 AM
Mithraism was a bunch of bull...

It was a poly-ethnic officers club for Roman legion officers (if you mean the Roman version of it).  Mithra was worshipped by Zoroastrians/Persians ... though technically it wasn't Zoroastrian (which only focused on Ahura Mazda vs Ahriman).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithraism

So anti-ancient, anti-Roman, anti-officer, anti-pagan, anti-legion?  Or all of the above.  See Freemasonry under the British Empire army ... both George Washington and his opponent British generals were members.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 05, 2017, 11:30:55 AM
It was a poly-ethnic officers club for Roman legion officers (if you mean the Roman version of it).  Mithra was worshipped by Zoroastrians/Persians ... though technically it wasn't Zoroastrian (which only focused on Ahura Mazda vs Ahriman).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithraism

So anti-ancient, anti-Roman, anti-officer, anti-pagan, anti-legion?  Or all of the above.  See Freemasonry under the British Empire army ... both George Washington and his opponent British generals were members.

You missed the joke about "bull". ;)

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 05, 2017, 11:35:19 AM
You missed the joke about "bull". ;)

My bad, but this is Latin Sunday, and you didn't use Latin ... "qui autem indocti sunt in Latin" ;-)  Only physicists understand the Catholic Mass ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 05, 2017, 11:44:30 AM
My bad, but this is Latin Sunday, and you didn't use Latin ... "qui autem indocti sunt in Latin" ;-)  Only physicists understand the Catholic Mass ;-))

Actually, only physicists understand mass.  Or moles. Oh wait, moles are for chemists...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 05, 2017, 11:47:38 AM
Actually, only physicists understand mass.  Or moles. Oh wait, moles are for chemists...

So which kind of scientist takes care of ground hogs who tell weather jokes?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 05, 2017, 11:48:38 AM
So which kind of scientist takes care of ground hogs who tell weather jokes?

None.  The groundhog is 37% accurate lately given a 33% chance of randomly correct.  IF a scientist were to pay attention to such nonsense, it would just look at its OWN shadow, right?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 05, 2017, 11:56:55 AM
None.  The groundhog is 37% accurate lately given a 33% chance of randomly correct.  IF a scientist were to pay attention to such nonsense, it would just look at its OWN shadow, right?

Well, when a groundhog endorses Cold Fusion, I will give it another look-see ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 05, 2017, 12:18:49 PM
Well, when a groundhog endorses Cold Fusion, I will give it another look-see ;-)

What part of meaningless random groundhog shadow did you miss?