Black Christians - Why do they exist?

Started by Blackleaf, July 30, 2016, 09:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absurd Atheist

As a black guy who used to be Christian, I certainly find this an interesting question.

1. Black people love to worship and preachers are very talented at manipulating emotions but in many cases churches (of all races I presume) take advantage of their following for profit.
2. The Bible is written predominantly about Middle Eastern and North African peoples who wouldn't have been white, so this is a source of comfort for some I presume.
3. The Bible tells tales of suffering and reward, something many black people can relate to.
4. Their slave ancestors converted to Christianity and their descendants didn't believe their slave masters were true Christians and were all going to hell.
5. They were raised Christian, like most other people, and simply don't know any other way. (a.k.a Me) Most of my family for example follow predominantly some form of Christianity and have for quite a while.

For example for the first one, when I was very young and the preacher was "blessing" people my turn came up. In the midst of praise and most importantly my mother watching, the preacher placed his palm on my head and gently pushed "and I felt like "I'd fallen on a bed of clouds with angels holding me", no joke btw. In hindsight I imagine it's easy to be pressure by your environment and people you trust into   fooling your sense of reality. We later left this church because all they wanted was money.
"To have faith is to lose your mind and to win God."
-The Sickness unto Death - 1849

SGOS

Quote from: Absurd Atheist on September 10, 2016, 12:25:57 PM
For example for the first one, when I was very young and the preacher was "blessing" people my turn came up. In the midst of praise and most importantly my mother watching, the preacher placed his palm on my head and gently pushed "and I felt like "I'd fallen on a bed of clouds with angels holding me", no joke btw. In hindsight I imagine it's easy to be pressure by your environment and people you trust into   fooling your sense of reality. We later left this church because all they wanted was money.

I also experienced the environmental pressure that convinced me I was having a religious experience once.  I can relate to that.  I've never been affiliated closely enough to a church as an adult to experience the solicitation for money.  I suspect some churches are worse than others about it.

sdelsolray

Quote from: g2perk on August 18, 2016, 03:58:50 PM
Opinions opinions... If they were only right. So enlighten me. What do you have to look forward to with not believing in anything. Do you live without any hope.

Not beleiving in one of your sky fairies, specifically Jesus Christ, is not not believing in anything.  Apparently, you only have hope because of your belief in Jesus.  Too bad for you.  Please don't project your emotional and psychological dysfunction upon others.

popsthebuilder

What a strange question. I must admit though;  the answers I have read are even stranger.

The Ethiopian orthodox church very well may have been the First Christian church in many ways. It was established way before any African was sold into slavery in America.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Blackleaf

Quote from: popsthebuilder on September 24, 2016, 01:39:55 AMThe Ethiopian orthodox church very well may have been the First Christian church in many ways. It was established way before any African was sold into slavery in America.

And is completely irrelevant.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 24, 2016, 02:25:06 AM
And is completely irrelevant.
What?

No it isn't.  Ethiopia is the cradle of life, and in Africa  where most Africans or black people came from along with all other people. Being the origin of Christianity as we know it today,  the origin of life in general, and the origin of dark complected people; it seams quite relevant to me. Am I missing something?

Peace

Baruch

Slavery is the normal condition of human beings.  Even masters are slaves ... to their need for slaves.  Doesn't really who did it to who ... we all do it, all the time ... we only delude ourselves in believing that we don't ... because we can't look in the mirror and take in the horror that is humanity.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: popsthebuilder on September 24, 2016, 07:50:20 AM
What?

No it isn't.  Ethiopia is the cradle of life, and in Africa  where most Africans or black people came from along with all other people. Being the origin of Christianity as we know it today,  the origin of life in general, and the origin of dark complected people; it seams quite relevant to me. Am I missing something?

Peace

Yes. You are missing the context. It is irrelevant that the white people who enslaved the blacks from Africa were not the same as the first century Christians. No one is. What matters is that these black slaves were not Christians when they were captured, but their masters were. The masters were not accepting of their slaves own religious practices, which they labeled as "voodoo," and so they forced their Christianity on their slaves. Years later, the black slaves stopped questioning their masters' religion and adopted it as their own. Even now, long after black slavery has ended and their human rights returned to them, they continue to be some of the most devout of Christians, despite the history of how they came to be that way in the first place.

It is also relevant that the white slave masters were properly interpreting the Bible when they justified slavery. It was the anti-slavery Christians who were Biblically wrong. That is the pattern of change in the Christian religion, and it's happening now too with homosexuality. It is clearly condemned by the Bible, but Christians who cherrypick choose not to believe it. Soon enough, it will be taken for granted that "true Christians" are not antigay, even though the Bible clearly is. Just like "true Christians" are against slavery and believe that women are equal to men.
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

The New Englanders were the original radicals, both in 1775 and in 1861.  They were radicals when they left England in the 1600s.  They didn't want to share the US with Scots, Irish or Welsh folks ... who mostly settled in the South and in the Caribbean.  And John Brown was a psychotic revolutionary ... captured by Robert E Lee while on duty with the US Army.

Not only was Voudon already practiced in W Africa, where many slaves came from, but many slaves from there weren't pagan, they were Muslims.  For them it was less of a stretch to become Black Baptists.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 24, 2016, 11:27:05 AM
Yes. You are missing the context. It is irrelevant that the white people who enslaved the blacks from Africa were not the same as the first century Christians. No one is. What matters is that these black slaves were not Christians when they were captured, but their masters were. The masters were not accepting of their slaves own religious practices, which they labeled as "voodoo," and so they forced their Christianity on their slaves. Years later, the black slaves stopped questioning their masters' religion and adopted it as their own. Even now, long after black slavery has ended and their human rights returned to them, they continue to be some of the most devout of Christians, despite the history of how they came to be that way in the first place.

It is also relevant that the white slave masters were properly interpreting the Bible when they justified slavery. It was the anti-slavery Christians who were Biblically wrong. That is the pattern of change in the Christian religion, and it's happening now too with homosexuality. It is clearly condemned by the Bible, but Christians who cherrypick choose not to believe it. Soon enough, it will be taken for granted that "true Christians" are not antigay, even though the Bible clearly is. Just like "true Christians" are against slavery and believe that women are equal to men.
No. That only matters to you for your own motives. What matters is what these people you speak of believe in,  not that they were slaves or that their ancestors had a somewhat different belief system. Perhaps they believe in GOD for whatever reason; what is it to you?  How does it negatively affect your life? It does not,  yet you look to negatively affect theirs by poking holes in what they hold quite dear?

I've got the context,  I was just pointing out that the context was a means to an end... The end of the faith of another for no justifiable,  logical reason.

Peace

SGOS

I think the OP was pointing out the mechanics of religion.  It is indoctrinated into people, not reasoned into people.  Christianity was forced on slaves just as servitude was forced on them.  Blacks may find comfort in Christianity.  No one is denying that.  But it's ironic that they accept a religion today that played a major role in justifying their forced servitude.  You can debate whether or not blacks gain real comfort from such a religion, but the irony will always be there.  Although, I understand that Christians won't see the irony.

Blackleaf

Quote from: popsthebuilder on September 25, 2016, 01:12:04 AM
No. That only matters to you for your own motives. What matters is what these people you speak of believe in,  not that they were slaves or that their ancestors had a somewhat different belief system. Perhaps they believe in GOD for whatever reason; what is it to you?  How does it negatively affect your life? It does not,  yet you look to negatively affect theirs by poking holes in what they hold quite dear?

I've got the context,  I was just pointing out that the context was a means to an end... The end of the faith of another for no justifiable,  logical reason.

Peace

In other words, you don't like what I'm saying and want me to be quiet. Funny that you would start with saying "That only matters to you for your own motives," and then not address a single point that I made. Have your skills for debate not developed at all since middle school?
--Fulke Greville--

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 25, 2016, 10:58:50 AM
In other words, you don't like what I'm saying and want me to be quiet. Funny that you would start with saying "That only matters to you for your own motives," and then not address a single point that I made. Have your skills for debate not developed at all since middle school?
I'm not here to debate you friend,  but if you like,  I can.

Peace

Hijiri Byakuren

I'm posting this picture so Tapatalk will stop showing the NSFW black model in the thread preview. Please ignore.

Fair and balanced (like Fox News).
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on September 25, 2016, 12:32:50 PM
I'm posting this picture so Tapatalk will stop showing the NSFW black model in the thread preview. Please ignore.

Fair and balanced (like Fox News).
It would be cool if I could thumbs up stuff here.

I thought I recognized the name,  then saw the sig. I really must start watching Fox News, really just curious if they are actually as unbiased as you.

Peace friend, hope you are well