News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Looking for Atheist to read my blog post.

Started by libertysecularism, August 25, 2013, 11:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taikina

you're taking this life business pretty hard...

if we're so insignificant and nothing matters, why embrace the negative things rather than positive things?

here's a metaphorical story:

you're on your way to the candy store and some weird twitchy, smelly guy who's missing an eye tells you: "YOU'LL GET ALL THE CANDY, FOR FREE!!!" so you go to the store and they tell you: "um, no you get one sample candy and the rest will cost you and eating all the candy would make you sick anyway."

so, your young mind ruined with false expectations, you toss your money over the counter and knock the bin of sample candies over on your way out. then you sit on the sidewalk to pout for the rest of the day while some other kid walks into the store. he never ran into the crazy homeless guy and buys A SALMIAC CANDY BAG AND A FRUIT CANDY BAG AND TAKES TWO SAMPLE CANDIES THAT TASTE LIKE CREAM AND CHERRY, BECAUSE IT'S OKAY. LIKE, HOLY SHIT.

the other kid walks out of the door, past you and you think to yourself: "why doesn't that idiot wipe that dumb grin off his face, he didn't even get one percent of the candies in that store."

then you die because life is cruel and unpredictable, the other kid dies the next day. some other kid got rollerblades for his birthday even though he didn't really want those.

edit:i guess if you never abandon faith, we could metaphorically say your parents take you to the BORING STORE TO BUY BORING SHOES FOR BOREDOM ACTIVITIES. they tell you you'll get to go to the candy store after but you never leave and the store never closes and you try on an endless amount of boring shoes with a tingle in your heart that you'll get candy in the far future, sometime.

Sal1981

Nice analogy.

I usually comfort myself by the thought that being dead is the same as being before you're born; non-existent. In the sense of the self, it makes no sense, but that's just how my mind works.