Two Atheists Review New Faith-Based Movie "God's Not Dead 2"

Started by ScreenZealots, April 01, 2016, 12:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScreenZealots

We saw it so you don't have to. Check out our review of the sequel to 2014's "God's Not Dead." Of course the filmmakers are encouraging Christians to haul their atheist friends along to the theater but -- spoiler alert -- there's nothing here that will make you change your mind.

Read the full Screen Zealots review of "God's Not Dead 2" here: http://screenzealots.com/2016/04/01/godsnotdead2/

AllRight

It seems to be a an increasingly popular thing among christians this supposed "war on Christianity"

Mr.Obvious

Hey there. Welcome to the forum.

Maybe make an intro-thread, and tell us a bit about yoursel(ves)(f)?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

TomFoolery

I didn't realize it had come out already. I still can't quite bring myself to watch all of the first one. I kept hoping secretly in my heart that it was a thought experiment or a hopeful vision of the distant future, like, "imagine a world where everyone you know has to deny God just to graduate school and literally no one goes to church anymore..." It fits in with episodes of the Twilight Zone, like aliens keeping people in zoos or the monsters on Maple Street: interesting ideas but realistically never going to happen.

But as it turns out, they seriously think that's how they're treated in America.

Also, something really aggravates me about being told how I (as an atheist) think and feel about God.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

SGOS

The first movie may have been successful.  I saw it, and I could see that Christians would think it was highly creative and inspiring.  However, the critics, which don't represent the bone headed niche the movie speaks to gave it a 15% on Rotten Tomatoes.  "Ham fisted religion," was not an uncommon reaction.  I thought the first movie was laughable, and I may see the second movie for that reason.  Any atheist that has spent time in a forum like this one, and who has watched Christians come in an spout their blather, would respond to all those "clever" arguments found in the movie, with "Not this shit again."  The movie is an interesting caricature of all those newbie converts to Christianity that spout the same old long debunked arguments that they think are total debate busters in this forum.  Really, it was kind of a face palming hoot, although I wouldn't waste the money on a movie ticket.  Rent it on DVD when it becomes available.

stromboli

AkiraTheFighter

We all know the real reason why this exists. It's cuz the creator is dieing. And since prays are not working they made this movie to make money so that science can keep him alive.

PickelledEggs

This series of movies is so poorly written and produced, it should just go straight to 8-track.

(yes. I know 8-tracks are not just an outdated format, but also an audio-only format. That is the point of the joke.)

Munch

Quote from: TomFoolery on April 01, 2016, 04:06:20 PM

Also, something really aggravates me about being told how I (as an atheist) think and feel about God.

I've seen enough of the first movie from reviews to know how laughable and desperate it is, trying to paint atheists as being people who actually do believe in god and just secretly hate him.

the one thing i took away from the movie is just what a twat kevin sorbo is, and just why he was okay with the way his character was written in the movie.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

AkiraTheFighter

Urrg. Sabrina... Noooo Why? Why? Why did you act in this movie? Did Melissa and Joey left you poor?

TomFoolery

Quote from: Munch on April 15, 2016, 08:28:20 AM
the one thing i took away from the movie is just what a twat kevin sorbo is, and just why he was okay with the way his character was written in the movie.

I know. You would think someone who became demi-famous for playing a Greek demigod wouldn't be so fucking preachy about a god of a different belief system. Or maybe Kevin Sorbo just used to be cooler and didn't think about it while he was running around battling the minions of his wicked stepmother Hera, the all-powerful queen of the gods. Or maybe if you play the intro to Hercules: the Legendary Journey backwards and slowly, instead of all the stuff about the petty and cruel ancient gods, there's a hidden Christian message about how Jesus loves us. It would really figure, Kevin, it would really fucking figure.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Baruch

If you play Adventures of Heracles backward ... you will find it is just the Ramayana in Hindi.  So you are guessing the wrong hidden message ;-)

And today's Paul McCartney is still a double-ganger.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Melissa Joan Hart is equally disappointing in the fact she played in this, though I haven't yet seen her preach religious bullshit like sorbo did.

Its just funny that Melissa Joan Hart, who played a witch in the 90s, would act in a movie that everyone (unless they are religous nut jobs) knew the first movie was utter shit. Its almost like she wasn't aware of how bad the concept of the first movie was and just went in for it to get acting, without thinking how it would make her look. Sorbo knew what the movie he was in was saying.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

AkiraTheFighter

Quote from: Munch on April 17, 2016, 08:35:29 AM
Melissa Joan Hart is equally disappointing in the fact she played in this, though I haven't yet seen her preach religious bullshit like sorbo did.

I'm gonna give her the benefit of the doubt and say she needed the money. I wonder how the delusional people that this movie is aimed at would react if they found out that the lead roll is  played by a person who played a witch and that her last roll was a partying senator that banged and drink all the time. 

TomFoolery

Quote from: Munch on April 17, 2016, 08:35:29 AM
Its just funny that Melissa Joan Hart, who played a witch in the 90s, would act in a movie that everyone (unless they are religous nut jobs) knew the first movie was utter shit. Its almost like she wasn't aware of how bad the concept of the first movie was and just went in for it to get acting, without thinking how it would make her look. Sorbo knew what the movie he was in was saying.

How the hell did I forget she was Sabrina the teenage witch?! I only ever watched her in Clarissa Explains it All.

I'm hope subsequent installments feature notable actors such as Eric McCormack who was famous for playing a gay lawyer in the sitcom Will & Grace or Emily Deschanel who played an outspoken atheist on the show Bones.