The best way to refute fundamentalists

Started by Ace101, July 02, 2015, 02:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace101

Rather than actually debate their claims, ask them how they know they're true?

When they say it's because "The Bible says so"? Ask them how they know the Bible is true.

If they say it's based on evidence (ex. creation "science") then refute the evidence.

If they say it's just based on faith, then tell them that Muslims have more faith than them, since they're willing to die for their religion, so why isn't Islam true?

KingJ

Quote from: Ace101 on July 02, 2015, 02:09:53 AM
1. Rather than actually debate their claims, ask them how they know they're true?

2. When they say it's because "The Bible says so"? Ask them how they know the Bible is true.

3. If they say it's based on evidence (ex. creation "science") then refute the evidence.

4. If they say it's just based on faith, then tell them that Muslims have more faith than them, since they're willing to die for their religion, so why isn't Islam true?
1. How do you know there is no God when you have such brilliant hands to type this? The burden of proof here is on you mate.

2. What is very interesting about the bible and if you read it is the fact that all we have to do is repent. You actually don't need the bible to find God. God finds you when you come to Him. Try it.

3. The only way you can refute ID is by sticking your head in the ground. Ostrich syndrome is needed for those that battle with reality.

4. You only find God when you find God. Belief in God does not mean you find Him. You can be Muslim or atheist or even Christian. When you do in fact find God (because He finds you, because you are after His heart) then you get a revelation of Jesus. This is actually experienced. An actual revelation reserved for those who are not looking for magic or to put God in the box they made for Him ''I will only believe in God of the universe if He does exactly what I say and expect of Him...rofl).

Only arrogance, pride and love of what is evil keeps you from God. All who have dealt with this know this. It is just one of those things. You can only be lead to the water. You have to drink. Until you drink you will think I am mad. I will keep praying for you to break through your self-imposed mental blocks.

Hydra009

Quote from: KingJ on July 02, 2015, 02:46:05 AM3. The only way you can refute ID is by sticking your head in the ground. Ostrich syndrome is needed for those that battle with reality.

Quote4. You only find God when you find God.
"Wherever you go, there you are."  So wise.  So deep.

Green Bottle

God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Baruch

KingJ - G-d's creation is clearly unintelligent ... powerful yes, but clearly a failure.  G-d can't even get universal health care right ... oh, that was Obama ... he reminds me of G-d though ;-)

Burden of proof?  Proof only exists in math, and it is weak even there.  Demonstration is the correct word.  There is some pretty amazing stuff happening at the cellular level, that doesn't seem random or man-made.  Maybe aliens ... maybe aliens all the way down instead of giant turtles ;-)  Epistemology is a weak point for most people .. the philosophical discipline of "how do you know what you claim to know".  Secular folk are equally weak though ... they believe in the modern version of spontaneous generation ... people once believed that mice arose from discarded clothing ... now they believe that vastly complicated tiny chemical factories arose from the random association of atoms and the law of large numbers.  And Darwinian sexual mating completion doesn't work on the molecular level today or before complex organisms arose ... because that is before there was sex.  Some mysteries are not supposed to be worried over ... unless you have a time machine to visit the primitive Earth, where abiogenesis supposedly happened ... of course some experiments in modern times have done this, and produced some interesting organic molecules ... except when carbon compounds are produced a-biologically ... they are called inorganic ... and more complicated things haven't been randomly produced .. the scientists just say, give us a primitive planet and a billion years, and we will show you something!

Ancient Jewish literature isn't true ... and sometimes it isn't even kosher ;-)

Unfortunately Creation scientists just embarrass themselves ... non-Creation scientists have at least produced amino acids from non-biological processes, for decades now ... and in fact these molecules exist in the nebula clouds out in space too ... alien farts? ;-)

Yes, in some ways, the idea that if you are willing to die for something, that you have great faith.  Or you are just a stupid fanatic.  The idea of having an idea, and then seeing where it takes you, not starting on an empirical basis ... can work.  It can also show you are an empty headed idealist.  Reality is a bitch like that.  Descartes can eat my shorts.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

TomFoolery

Quote from: KingJ on July 02, 2015, 02:46:05 AM
1. How do you know there is no God when you have such brilliant hands to type this? The burden of proof here is on you mate.

No, it doesn't. In science, the burden of proof falls on the one presenting the hypothesis. Shifting the burden of proof is a well-worn logical fallacy among the religious. It would fall to you to prove God exists, not us to prove he doesn't.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

SkyChief

Fundamentalists all lack an important component in formulating a cohesive argument.  Logic. Their eyes glaze over and they wave their hands in the air while they speak their nonsense.  They are delusional.  I know it,  you know it, and I suspect (hope that) many of them (fundamentalists) know it, too.

To argue with these people is an exercise in futility.

There cannot be any winner. Confined to the closed spaces In their incredibly simple minds, they think they possess all the answers. They mistakenly believe that The Big/Thick Book Of Lies (O.T.) contains the words of their god.

It does not.  It is the dubious ramblings of frightened desert nomads written 2 millennia ago. Desperate to promote their "rightful" position as lord and master over their slaves and their women.

How pathetic is that?

How ignorant must one be to believe this crapola?

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."    - Albert Einstein

Hakurei Reimu

The existence of carpel tunnel syndrome, repetitive strain injury, and arthritis puts lie to this. The hand is ill-adapted to keyboards and other tasks that we regularly perform in modern societies. Its exactly the kind of hands you'd expect to find in a former brachiator that evolved into a tool-user.

2. What is very interesting about the bible and if you read it is the fact that all we have to do is repent. You actually don't need the bible to find God. God finds you when you come to Him. Try it.
Of course, what you're leaving out is that part what you must "repent" is not swallowing the bible whole, according to fundamentalist chrisitians. No thanks. I ain't no snake.

3. The only way you can refute ID is by sticking your head in the ground. Ostrich syndrome is needed for those that battle with reality.
No, that's you IDers. You try and try to come up with a biological system that is intelligently designed, and every time you name a system you think must be intelligently designed (that is, it couldn't possibly evolve), real biologists quickly point out how such a system is possible to evolve from known antecedents.

4. You only find God when you find God. Belief in God does not mean you find Him. You can be Muslim or atheist or even Christian. When you do in fact find God (because He finds you, because you are after His heart) then you get a revelation of Jesus. This is actually experienced. An actual revelation reserved for those who are not looking for magic or to put God in the box they made for Him ''I will only believe in God of the universe if He does exactly what I say and expect of Him...rofl).

That's not how hypothesis testing works. There is stuff described in the bible that clearly didn't happen. Like Exodus. Like the Flood. Like Jonah. Etc.

Only arrogance, pride and love of what is evil keeps you from God.
It's rich calling us arrogant when it's YOU who believes that the all-powerful creator of the universe has any interest in what you think and believe. It sounds like bad fanfiction.

All who have dealt with this know this. It is just one of those things. You can only be lead to the water. You have to drink. Until you drink you will think I am mad. I will keep praying for you to break through your self-imposed mental blocks.
As theramin trees pointed out, the kind of thinking that you have to engage in when believing in god is exactly the kind of thinking designed to protect lies. I would think that the supreme being of the universe wouldn't need to resort to such confidence tricks to establish worship in him. If he exists, he's unworthy of it by that reason alone.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Solitary

This may be the dumbest thing I have ever read! I If you don't believe in the Pagan gods how do you know this with such brilliant hands to type with? The burden of proof is on you dodo!

What's interesting about the history of pagan myths, and if you actually read about them, it is a fact that all you have to do is kiss their ass. You don't even the history books to find the gods. The gods will find you. Try it Dodo!

The only way you can refute Pagan myths is by sticking your head in the ground. Ostrich syndrome is needed  for those that battle with reality.

You only find Pagan gods when you find Pagan gods. ( This is a fallacy in sound thinking!) Belief in Pagan gods does not mean you find them. You can be Muslim or atheist, or even Christian. When you do in fact find the Pagan gods (because they find you, because you are after their hearts) then you get a revelation of Zeus. This is actual experience. An actual revelation reserved for those who are not looking magic or to put the gods in a box they made for them "I will only believe in the Pagan gods of the universe if they do exactly what I say and expect of them....ROTFLMAOASTC).

Only arrogance, pride and love of what is evil keeps you from the Pagan gods. All who have dealt with this know this. It is just one of those things. You can only be lead to the water. You have to drink. Until you drink you will think I am mad. I will keep praying for you to break through your self-imposed mental blocks.

And I will keep an open mind as long as my brain doesn't fall out, and yes, I do think you are mad as a Hatter!

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Termin

He didn't make a claim, mate.

Ok we agree the bible is unnecessary.

The only way to accept ID is to have a severe lack of knowledge when it comes to biology, and believe myths such as ostriches sticking their head in the ground.

4. You only find God when you find God.

You have learned well grasshopper

Belief in God does not mean you find Him. You can be Muslim or atheist or even Christian. When you do in fact find God (because He finds you, because you are after His heart) then you get a revelation of Jesus. This is actually experienced. An actual revelation reserved for those who are not looking for magic or to put God in the box they made for Him

Quote from: KingJ on July 02, 2015, 02:46:05 AM''I will only believe in God of the universe if He does exactly what I say and expect of Him...rofl).

Ironically, the exact opposite. I will believe in god when this alleged being stops this hiding nonsense and approaches us ALL on a rationale level, instead of this man behind the curtain routine alleged by religion. But I don't expect that will ever happen

Only arrogance, pride and love of what is evil keeps you from God.

I love this accusation, especially the arrogance part , i don't believe I look like some all powerful being, or that the universe was made just for me, and all the animals on the planet were made just for me.
  Arrogance ? I don't think you have a clue what that word means.

All who have dealt with this know this. It is just one of those things. You can only be lead to the water. You have to drink. Until you drink you will think I am mad. I will keep praying for you to break through your self-imposed mental blocks.

I don't think you are mad, I think you have simply allowed yourself to believe because it's comforting, and that's fine. 

Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

dtq123

KingJ! I thought you were dead! Care for a debate? You can make me dance like a chicken afterwards!
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Mike Cl

Quote from: dtq123 on July 30, 2015, 12:01:54 PM
KingJ! I thought you were dead! Care for a debate? You can make me dance like a chicken afterwards!
Settle down dtq--you answered a post from July 02. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hijiri Byakuren

You can't really refute a fundamentalist. Their goal is to convert you, not debate the topic.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hakurei Reimu

Lol! We all got necroed! Thanks, Sky Chef!
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

NewJonah

Hello Ace,
A little biased, eh? If I said all you atheists are all alike, you would disagree wouldn't you? So I disagree to being lumped together with all Christians. God created us all uniquely. You, too, are created in the likeness of God.

Rather than actually debate their claims, ask them how they know they're true?
By the sufficient evidences in the Bible. Hundreds of times science, archeology, etc. have made finds that agree with what the Bible has said for Millennia.

When they say it's because "The Bible says so"? Ask them how they know the Bible is true.
The coming, birth, suffering, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ alone fulfilled over 50 specific prophecies that were written hundreds of years earlier. You see God created TIME as well as matter, energy, life and the laws that govern us all. He is outside of time and sees the beginning and the end the same way - as an outside observer.

If they say it's based on evidence (ex. creation "science") then refute the evidence.
The Bible says that God created all life to bring forth after its own kind. We see all life bringing forth after its own kind. The religion of Evolution attempts to deny this be saying that one kind brought forth another kind (ie a dinosaur brought forth birds  :eyes:) which there is NO evidence for at all. Dinosaur bones and bird bones are quite different.

If they say it's just based on faith, then tell them that Muslims have more faith than them, since they're willing to die for their religion, so why isn't Islam true?
Faith is a hope based upon sufficient evidence, it is not blind. Again, do all Muslims have exactly the same level of faith? No, neither do all atheists. You have to have faith to sit in a chair - faith that it will hold you, otherwise you would examine closely each chair BEFORE you sat down. You have a reasonable hope that it will hold you based upon your understanding of chairs.
I have a reasonable hope of eternal life with my God in His Heaven based upon the sufficient evidences of science, Biblical prophecies fulfilled, the tomb Jesus was placed in was empty 3 days later proving for me He defeated death and hell, God's pattern of always telling me the truth (He has never lied to me yet, and His Word, the KJB, has never been proven false) and His PROMISE of that eternal life if I would believe in Him with all my heart (which means in practical terms that I will trust Him and obey Him to the best of my ability, and repent when I do sin) - Jesus Christ is SO merciful and longsuffering, not willing that any should perish, but that all would come to repentance! AND, when I did trust in Jesus Christ 28+ years ago He placed His Holy Spirit within me, His "down payment" of that eternal life. Yes, that is more than enough evidences for anyone who is truly seeking the truth. "And ye shall seek Me and find Me, when ye shall search for Me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13  Being open to the truth means being willing to accept the truth no matter what the implications or consequences, it does not mean accepting anything blindly - that is foolish!