I think we're way too hard on Christianity

Started by zarus tathra, January 12, 2014, 05:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zarus tathra

At least in comparison with other religions.

One of the main examples of Christian malevolence that anti-Christians like to bring up is the Crusades. Thing is, by the time the Crusades happened, the Muslims had already invaded and occupied Europe itself for centuries and were threatening Constantinople, the capital of Christendom in the Middle East. So when viewed in that light, the Crusades really don't seem so unjustified.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

The Skeletal Atheist

Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

kilodelta

It seems that Christianity is being treated harsher than other religions due to their persecution complex and the vast saturation of their shit in our day-to-day lives compared to other religions. There was a thread a while back about which religion the forum members hated the most... Islam was the most hated.

On second thought, I think we need to hate on FSM. I mean think about it... he's fucking spaghetti! That mother fucker!
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

mykcob4

Quote from: "zarus tathra"At least in comparison with other religions.

One of the main examples of Christian malevolence that anti-Christians like to bring up is the Crusades. Thing is, by the time the Crusades happened, the Muslims had already invaded and occupied Europe itself for centuries and were threatening Constantinople, the capital of Christendom in the Middle East. So when viewed in that light, the Crusades really don't seem so unjustified.
Well considering that at the time Islam was the most tollerant of other religions of the big 3 and higher education and science were thriving in Islam lands and not in christian lands I don't think that christianity can justify it's genocides.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "kilodelta"I mean think about it... he's fucking spaghetti! That mother fucker!
Totally. The pasta gets all cold and nasty... no one wants to eat that.

I think that the biggest reason that Christanity is such a huge target is because they are such a large group. They are the majority. And yeah islam really sucks, but the biggest arguements I see for the most part against it are arguments started out of ignorance, not knowing what they're talking about, and mostly started by christians who are talking hippocraticly.

As for judaism, I don't even know too much about it. The people in my area that are jewish either don't know about it themselves, they just go to temple to socialize, or they live in a hasidic area where they are so closed off from everyone that it doesnt make a difference and they don't talk to everyone.

Christians seem to be the biggest, most out in the open group.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "mykcob4"

Well considering that at the time Islam was the most tollerant of other religions of the big 3 and higher education and science were thriving in Islam lands and not in christian lands I don't think that christianity can justify it's genocides.
you're right. No they can't, although they try to. Both the holocaust and the christian crusades wiped out 10% of the human population. That's a lot of people.

mykcob4

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"
Quote from: "mykcob4"

you're right. No they can't, although they try to. Both the holocaust and the christian crusades wiped out 10% of the human population. That's a lot of people.
That doesn't even account for the genocides in the Americas!

The Skeletal Atheist

Some actual input: most of the posters here are from the US. Obviously Christianity is the religion most of us get exposed to in our day to day lives. I, personally, have never had to deal with a Muslim or a Jew trying to convert me. There's even an Islamic community center within walking distance, but I've never been bothered by them.

In addition to that a lot of us are former Christians. It might sound petty, but some of us are pissed off for being misled for a good portion of our lives. Some of us, particularly those of us who are LGBT or had to struggle with doubts about faith, are pissed for being made to feel ashamed for who we are.

Christianity also continues to try to dominate the social and political spheres in the US, so in a sense we have to be harsh in order to insure our rights. They're trying to decide what a woman can and can't do with her body, what consenting adults can and can't do in the bedroom, what gets taught in classrooms, what we do with the environment, and a plethora of other things. We have to call them out issue by issue, but we also need to address the root of their views on the issues. We gotta remind them that they aren't the only ones that matter, and occasionally that entails calling their precious religion out for the shit it does. It can be harsh, but that's because we have to be harsh to get anything through their heads.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Shiranu

Yeah, because atheists are NEVER harsh on Islam...

:roll:

Judaism they are pretty laid back on I would say, mostly because Judaism is very laid back as well. Same for some of the other religions. I think we could be harsher on Hinduism, but to be fair that one is even more cultural based as far as I can tell than Islam and Christianity. But that might partly be foreign bias... we view our religions as something separate from culture whereas we lump the two together for groups we don't understand as well. I would reckon the Hindus, Japanese, Chinese etc. might do the same to us (view Christianity as a very cultural mindset rather than religious mindset).

Off topic thoughts, aho!
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "mykcob4"That doesn't even account for the genocides in the Americas!
Sorry, I didn't want my fingers to fall off.

Solitary

I don't see Muslims trying to influence our laws , what schools teach, proselytizing, many TV programs, or have their icons everywhere like Christians do, and influencing the government here in the USA.  :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

the_antithesis

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "zarus tathra"[...] by the time the Crusades happened, the Muslims had already invaded and occupied Europe itself for centuries and were threatening Constantinople, the capital of Christendom in the Middle East.

This is not accurate.  They had occupied parts of Europe, not "Europe itself".

But don't let that stop you, I'm sure you'll get a good troll-thread happening ... again.
<insert witty aphorism here>

billhilly

Quote from: "Solitary"I don't see Muslims trying to influence our laws , what schools teach, proselytizing, many TV programs, or have their icons everywhere like Christians do, and influencing the government here in the USA.  :roll:  Solitary

That's only because there isn't enough of them to pull it off.  They're all over that shit when they've got the numbers though.  Personally, I'm harder on xianity because that's what I have to deal with every day.  If it were muslims or hindus or mithric priestesses, I'd be bitching about them instead.

barbarian

I guess I don't understand the thread's topic title to what is actually posted by op. I think that most wars of the past, especially biblical ones have been religion influenced (not by any stretch of the imagination I'm I excluding the crusades.) But, shit I guess the way I have been treated for my views over the years I don't think that I have been as hard on christians (mostly dominated in the area that I live) as they have been on me as to my views. To conclude as to, the way I interpret, what PickelledEggs & billhilly  was saying that I will not exclude other religions from this statement either, especially Islam which is the worst one of all, IMO.